Is my newborn seizuring?
We brought my newborn son home from the hospital today. He was born on 10-23-08, he is 2 days old.  Everything has been completely fine and normal.  He was a full term baby with no complications during pregnancy or delivery.  Tonight while we were eating dinner we had placed him in his bouncer seat and put him next to the dinner table.  He was sleeping and then suddenly awoke and was turned towards his left side with both his right arm and leg jerking so hard that it kicked his blanket off.  I rushed and picked him up and began patting his back.  He was very stiff and his mouth was clenched so tight that his lips were almost a purple color.  The episode lasted only about 10 or 15 seconds and then he came to.  He began crying and then went back to "normal".  He was completely fine afterwards as well.  Was not excessivly sleepy and ate just fine.  This episode scared the life out of me.  I am calling his pediatrician first thing on Monday morning and watching him like a hawk.  Does anyone have an explanation or have experienced something like this??

Thanks for writing in.
At this point it is difficult to tell if it was a seizure or not. Another possibility is infantile myoclonus which usually manifests during first few days of life and goes away on its own by the age of 3 months. No treatment is required for this condition and it characteristically occurs during sleep. It disappears when the child is woken up.