Neurology Expert Forum
Is there any treatment for nerve pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Is there any treatment for nerve pain

I am 25 years old, and since the age of 9, have experienced chronic left groin and lower back pain.  Despite numerous tests run in South Africa, the diagnosis is the same:  Femoral Nerve damage, with little chance of treatment.  I cannot exercise or allow my leg to get chilled, as this causes "cramp", which is very painful.  I walk with a limp, and am very burnt from continous use of the hot water bottle.  I have tried all types of medication, yet nothing seems to be working.  I don't want to continue like this, and am looking for, if not a cure, then at least relief.  What is the treatment for this kind of pain disorder, and are these treatments available in South Africa?
Thank you for taking the time to read, and hopefully, respond to my questions.
Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Proper treatment of chronic groin pain can only be accomplished when there is a correct diagnosis of the underlying problem. Your docs need to figure out why you are having pain - nerve compression? inguinal hernia? athletic injury or trauma? EValuation can be done with a throrough physical exam, ultrasound or MRI (if available in your region of the world). Only then can the appropriate treatment be given. Depending on the cause, local injections with steroids and anesthesia such as lidocaine into the area have provided some people with relief. Hernia repair, tendon and nerve surgery have also helped other patients. Medications such as carbamezepine and gabapentin (again, if available in your country) have also been helpful in nerve pain. The best thing you can do is talk to your family care doctor and ask why you have "femoral nerve damage," and if it is surgically correctable. Otherwise consider the shots which should be available in S. Africa. GOod luck.
Have you tried neurotin???
i have nerve damage running threw my legs and feet, tHE NEROTIN HELPS WITH RELEIF but they have a new treatment , I'm not sure if its available in south africa. It's a light emitty diodes fitted into flexiable pads that can be applied directly to the skin on any part of your body. The light energy helps release small molecules of nitric oxide from hemoglobin in the bloodstream. nitric oxide increases blood flow and helps deliver healing cells and nutrients to the treatment area.I'v already had 3 treatments.
I am taking Nortriptyline 75 mg(one at bedtime) and it is doing wonders for my pain.And it does'nt leave you feeling groggy when you wake up.
I am a 38 yr old female who four yrs ago had spinal cord surgery to remove a tumor.  The pressure of the tumor on the spinal cord has left me with a great deal of nereve pain from the center of my back to the center of my chest on my right side.  At one time my Dr prescribed Nortriptoline but that did nothing.  Now I am on Neurontin 800mg 3x/day which has helped considerably.  However, I still have alot of pain so I am also on another medication called Lidoderm which is a patch that is a local anesthetic.  Hope this information helps.
I have nerve damage caused by cosmetic surgery more than 2 1/2 years ago.  I was told I had dry eye and that it was totally unrelated to the surgery, although the pain in my eye was severe upon awakening from the anesthesia, and I had never experienced any eye problems before.  After being sent to several different ophthalmologists for almost two years, having tear duct plugs put in and removed surgically, and using every eye ointment and drops known to man, I was finally referred to a neurologist who, for the first time, didn't say I had "dry eye", but had nerve damage caused by the surgery, and put me on Neurontin.  I started out slowly and increased the dosage until I was on six capsules per day for several months. Then I was able to gradually cut back and am now taking no more than one or two capsules at night (and some nights none at all).

I would like to find a way to not be on medication and would love to hear from others who have had this same problem.

Sorry you are suffering, but there is a wonderful, very inexpensive pain medication called Methodone. It is especially good with nerve pain and after the initail  drowsiness your pain will be greatly be reduced if not all gone. I have suffered with very bad groin and back pain for over 30 years and until I got on this long acting pain medication, which has almost no bad side effects , I was ready to comit suicde. That's how unrelenting the pain was,now I'm able to enjoy life and the daily suffering is all but gone. I also take Neuronton which I see several of the other people who answered you also take. This too is a great medication. Good luck and don't give up. Find the right Dr. ans insist on getting to the bottom of your problem.
Hi - I had femoral hernia surgery in 1989 and an inguinal hernia repair March 2002, both on the same side. I am experiencing pain again on both sides of my groin and have recently felt something similar to an electrical shock on the right side, sharp, shooting pain down to my knee on 2 occasions.
Does this sound like possible nerve damage? Would the left side be experiencing nerve sensations or maybe I'm in line for a 3rd hernia repair? How common is this for women? I am 44. Thanks so much for your responses.
My daughter was involved in a MVA 4 years ago.  Sustaining orbital injuries.  She has had 2 surgeries for nerve release which helped for a short time.  Recently underwent nerve block every other day times 2 weeks without any benefit.  Has tried numerous seizure medicatiios without help.  Do you have any suggestions?  We would appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.
A related discussion, daily nerve pain was started.
A related discussion, shingles nerve pain was started.
A related discussion, Help For Notalgia Paresthetica was started.
A related discussion, nerve pain was started.
A related discussion, neurapathy was started.