Is there complete recovery after decades of muscle wastage
I am soon to undergo decompression surgery in L3/L4 area of spine. I have very severe muscle wastage in both legs, upper and lower, no movement in toes etc plus foot drop. I had similar surgery in 1979 (appeared to be very successful for about 10 years) and again in 2005, which was not very successful.

Also in 2008 and 2009 I had a replacement (TKR) both on the left knee which has left me being totally dependant on the use of two crutches. On my last visit to the knee surgeon he advised me to get myself a wheelchair!!
I managed quite well with just a walking stick pre the TKR surgery

What are the chances of getting back full/partial muscle tone with L3/L4 decompression surgery?
How are you? It would be difficult to evaluate without direct clinical examination. To determine if full or partial recovery is possible, several factors may need to be considered such as evaluation of the muscle, length of time elapsed, medical history, the types of surgery done, extent of damage, and over-all health. EMG and other diagnostic tests may need to be done also. Take care and best regards.
Up until recently, muscle wastage was considered irreversible. Ocasionally some success was had with steroidal supplements. Recently, however there have been investigate trials with porcine-derived small intestine submucosa, specifically with combat veterans who have lost large areas of muscle tissue. Although this is not yet a standard approved treatment, result are good and you should be optimistic. This substance was discovered about 25 years ago, but has only recently been used in double-blind clinical trials.Discover magazine did an article on the substance a few years ago.