Neurology Expert Forum
Is this a brain cyst, and what can I do.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm very glad to be here and hopefully get some answers to my questions.

I went in to my GP for some facial tingling (very minor, but distracting).  He diagnosed it as temporary facial palsy, and that there was probably nothing to worry about, but suggested an MRI of the brain just in case.

I had my MRI and a small 5.9mm cystic structure was identified in the deep white matter of my brain.  The radiologist's report did not sound like he thought this was serious, but suggested a followup MRI which I will have in about 2 weeks.

My GP said that the "cyst" has probably been there since birth, and it was probably nothing to worry about.  But also suggested the second MRI.  This is scaring the heck out of me.

I saw a local neurologist about a week ago and showed him the films from my MRI, and he too thinks it is just a cyst, present since birth.

With the research I have done on my own I have not been able to find any information on a cyst that would be discovered in the deep white matter of the brain.  

I saw the MRI films, and the cyst looks very round, and in my left frontal lobe, very near the outter grey matter, but is located in the white matter of my left frontal lobe between my left eyeball and nose, about 3/4 of an inch above my eyeball.  Basically, right behind my left eyebrow.

Can someone please provide some insight as to what kind of cyst this is?  The doctors seem to think this was an incidental discovery, but this is all I can think about.

Thanks for your help.
The size of this "cyst" is very small, and is not associated with any other abnormal findings, based on your description. Without looking at the films, I can not tell you what it is. However small cysts can be found in various regions of the brain, and typically do not produce any symptoms. Most cysts are formed when extra fluid collects in the subarachnoid space around blood vessels. It is not uncommon to perform a MRI for one reason and find a small cyst. Based on your description of symptoms, and the location of the cyst, I do not think they are related. The follow-up MRI will be helpful to ensure that this is not changing in size. I would not worry about this until after the second scan is done (this is easy for me to say I know).
More info about me:

I am 23 years old, and have never had any type of cancer that I know of.

My neurologist asked about my birth, implying that a difficult birth can result in brain cysts.  I was a large baby, and my birth lasted around 18 hours.  Forceps were used to get me out.

As I posted in my question, I have not been able to locate any information on cysts that develop in the white matter of the brain.  It does not appear to be located in any of the "usual" locations for brain cysts "colloid cysts, arachnoid cysts, pineal gland cysts, ventrical cysts".....

I have done my research, but I am no expert at all and desperately seek information on what could be in my head.  Please help.
can you be more specific about the location of the cyst?
behind the eyes-- do you mean in the hypothalamus or pituitary region?? if there-- it can cause all sorts of hormonal imbalances and symptoms.
some people have cysts in this area, one of them called rathkes cyst.

where exactly is the cyst? frontal lobe-- or is it any where near the pituitary gland?
The "cyst" is not near any noteable structures such as the thalamus or pituitary gland, it is in the left frontal lobe, in the white matter, but very close to the grey matter.

From the sagital image, it looked like it was in the "droopy" part of the frontal lobe, above the left eyeball, again in the white matter.  

These images were without contrast, but the radiologist noted that there was no surrounding edema.  The "cystic-structure" as he put it, was very round, like a little pea.  The size was 5.6 mm, which the doctors say there's nothing to worry about.  My concern is that this thing will grow, either meaning it will become dangerous although benign, or worse will grow and is malignant.

I can't help but be very pessimistic with this, my next MRI is due in about a week, and I will post with more info.  I'm sure I'll have contrast added this time, hopefully revealing nothing more.
hi ,I have a husband 40 years old and for about the last 2 to 3 months he has been complaining of his head hurting on the left side  in the back. He had a cyst removed when he was 13 off his spinal cord that had him paralyzed on the left side. when they went in to take it out they found a bone in the front part of his neck that had decayed and fused it back with a bone from his hip. He's been fine up until now he also complains about being really weak and very tired all the time. They scheduled a mri to be done in a couple of days . He feels like something is not right with the way he feels. He also experiences  his arms and hands falling asleep while he is sleeping and sometimes while he is sitting. Does anyone have any answers of what this might be and what if anything do we need to be prepared for??
I have tingling in my leg, arm and face.  It feels like those parts are asleep. I went to hospital for a day and was told later that I had a brain cyst in my head, but it was probably from birth.  Everything else checked out.  My heart is fine and I was not having a stroke.   I have run a marathon and ultra-marathon with it recently. I have now scheduled an appointment with a neurologist, but really wonder if this is being cause by the cyst or a pinched nerve. I have also noticed it gets worse with stress.  The uncertainty is not a good feeling!
My 74 year old mother was having problems with being dizzy, and it was getting increasing worse. We took her to a neurologist and he prescribed an MRI.  From the MRI they found many cysts in her brain which they were suspicious of it being cancer. IT was determined she had breast cancer and it was thought that the brain tumor, especially the one in the area of the brain that was probably making her dizzy was, cancer with the origin from her breast cancer.  After a 2nd MRI a month later, with no treatment in between for the brain tumor (cyst), it has been determined that the brain cyst is not malignant.  Which is good news but we are still not gettin answers as to how to treat her dizziness.  This dizziness is causing her to have an incredibly poor quality of life.  Is there treatment for cysts in the brain that are not malignant?
I was wondering if anyone has any information of pineal gland brain cyst???? Are they serious???
is a brain  cyst serious
A related discussion, cyst on frontal brain was started.
A related discussion, Cysts on Frontal Lobe was started.
A related discussion, Brain Cyst was started.
A related discussion, cyst in the brain was started.
My email:mabet_0620***@**** Hi! My bestfriend is suffering of cysts in his brain,left and right I just want to ask if he can have operation for that and what are the possible side effects of the operation.. I don't want to see him when he's in pain.. I love him.. Can u giv me some advice......pls......
A related discussion, cyst on ventricle side of brain was started.
I just recently found out that I have a cyst in my brain. The doctor said that i proubably had it since birth. I have no idea how ti take this, nor does my wife.
A related discussion, Baby with a Cyst on the brain was started.