Thank you for your responses to my inquiry regarding cortical dysplasia. If you could, please answer a few more questions:
1) Can the problems that my son is having (delayed speech, staring spells, migraines, problems with fine motor skills, very uncoordinated, immature for his age) be directly related to the cortical dysplasia or would there be something else such as seizures that would have to cause these problems?
2) From you experience, are these problems going to get worse or will they improve over time?
3) If my son is not having seizures and all of these problems stem from the cortical dysplasia, what can be done to help him?
4) What other problems could cortical dysplasia lead to?
5) Are complex partial seizures hard to diagnose?
I will try to answer your questions but we are beginning to get to the
stage of specific prediction in his case which I cannot do.
1 All of these problems can be related to cortical dysplasia, whether
they are or not in this case I cannot say , but it is potentially
2 I cannot predict the course of an individual patient from the
information available, generally some progress is made intellectually
but the degree depends on the extent and severity of the underlying problem.
3 There is no specific treatment for cortical dysplasia, if it is
causing seizure the area can be excised otherwise no intervention
4 Cortical dysplasia typically causes developmental delay and learning
problems in addition to seizures.
5 Complex partial seizures are relativelty easy to diagnose, the
best way is if an EEG is hooked up during an event and seizure
activity is recorded.
Copyright 1994-2017MedHelp International.All rights reserved. MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.