Neurology Expert Forum
Jaw Fatigue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Jaw Fatigue

I was just wondering if Jaw fatigue can be an early sign of ALS.  I have been twitching (Body Wide) for about 1.5 years now.  I get those tongue twitches every once in a while.  I had two EMG's.  The first one quite extensive (3 limbs with 2 to 3 pokes per limb) at a local Neuro's office.  The second one was done at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital by the Director of Neuromuscular Service which was not quite as extensive.  He only did one foot and calf (left).  He said he saw the fasciculations I was speaking of, but did not see anything bothersom like PSW's.  He stated to me that "if I was his mother, he would tell me to have no more EMG's" and that "everything was fine".  I still can't shake this fear.  My jaw now feels fatigued by the end of the day, but I can still eat w/o a problem.  This "fatigue" feeling has been with me since about mid-December.  I would think that I would be much worse off than just feeling fatigue by now if this were ALS.  am I correct in that assumption?  I am a 33 year old male with a family and still quite scared after 1.5 years of this stuff.  Can you possibly offer me some reassuring words.  If not, I definitly understand.  Just an FYI....I really don't have any weakness feeling in my limbs to speak of.  Just the minor jaw fatigue by the end of the day and the body wide twitches and the occasional tongue twitch.  Thanks you so much for your help.
Regards,
Brian
I would have to agree that with the rather extended history of fasciculations in the absence of weakness, it is very unlikely that you have ALS. And the jaw fatigue without significant difficulty chewing/eating also does not sound typical of ALS.  Columbia has an excellent neurology program and if your exam was normal there, then that should also be reassuring. GOod luck.
Thank you for your time.  You are a big help to us hypochandriacs out there :-).  Much appreciated.
Re,
Brian
Have you ever considered the possibility of TMJ?  My mom and sisters and I all have it and have received great relief from treatments by Dento-Cranial doctors.  Some of our symptoms include headaches, neck/back pain, tingling of limbs, burning tongue, jaw pain and/or fatigue, burning sensation on top of head, face pain.  I only have headaches, neck/back pain, and jaw fatigue, but my other family members have other symptoms.  Until I started getting treated for it I never would have believe that having a problem with my jaw placement would have caused all those problems.  It's worth a shot.  Do you ever wake up with a sore or clenched jaw?