Neurology Expert Forum
Jaw pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Jaw pain

I have not been diagnosed with MS yet, but at least one doctor thinks I do have it. I do have several lesions on my MRI.  My lp is normal.  I've experienced numbness and tingling in my left leg and vertigo among other symptoms.
  For about 9 months, off and on, I have been having jaw pain which is really more like a tightness especially on the left side.  Most of the symptoms I've been having are also occuring on my left side.  My jaw can tense up and there is no way I can relax it.  It can get to the point where it makes my whole head hurt and I want to scream.  I've also had a stiff neck off and on (mostly on of late) for about 8  years.  This can also make my whole head hurt and lately has begun creeping down my spine.  I read in a previous post that a neurologist can tell if this is due to spasticity.  Does it sound possible that this may be a symptom of MS?
  • Yawning (9 replies):
    I have a question,not sure if this is related to chiari ...[more]
  • Jaw pain
    Posted By Nancy on November 10, 1998 at 17:23:03: ...[more]
  • Nerve Pain (2 replies):
    Does anyone experience jaw pain? I am beginning to hurt ...[more]
  • Chiari and Jaw pain (4 replies):
    I have horrible jaw pain on both sides of my mouth. No ...[more]
  • jaw and eyes (1 replies):
    Hi my name is John and I am twenty four years old, and f...[more]

_
The nerves to the jaw are controlled from nerves from both sides of the brain - jaw spasticity can occur with extensive lesions affecting both side of the brain's white matter - in theory, such a disorder can be seen in multiple sclerosis.  Practically though, it is not a symptom seen with any frequency in Multiple sclerosis, and if MS did cause it, your MRI would show much more disease than you describe.  Jaw "spasticity" could be caused in some movement disorders and is more of a rigidity - but you don't have features of these.  Perhaps your jaw feels tight secondary to the pain you are experiencing but is not really "spastic" per se. If this is concerning you.though, you should ask your neurologist about it.