Neurology Expert Forum
Jerking and tremors in hand
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Jerking and tremors in hand

Hi, I have written before about my problems with peripheral neuropathy (cause undiagnosed),ataxia, and weakness in my legs.  I had noticed for some time now that my hand right hand jerks uncontrollable whenever I am just about to fall asleep.  Lately, in addition to this, it has been jerking so hard that it awakes me from sleep sometime.  Also I have noticed a slight tremor in the same hand if I am holding something (the phone,computer mouse, etc.) My husband says my head tremors slightly also sometimes.  Could this have anything to do with the neuropathy.  This hand and arm also have neuropathy (pins, needles, stocking sensation) with weakness.  I have lupus, fibromyalgia, and "possible vascuilitis" - as per my doctor. Could the jerking and tremors have anything to do with any of the conditions I mentioned.  I was not sure if it was my mind playing tricks or if this is something I should be concerned about.  Again, thanks for your time.
======================================
These new problems do not sound as if they are part of your origional clinical presentation, tremor of the head and hands is typically found in benign essential tremor, but other possibilities like Parkinsoms disease need to be excluded. The jerks as you fall off to sleep sound like a different phenomenon again, these may be myoclonic jerks, myoclonic jerks occurr in everyone as we fall asleep ,but inyour case this sounds too extreme to fit within the normal spectrum.
These are complex problems which are further complicated by your pre-existing neurological issues. I think you need to be assessed by a neurologist with a view to assessing the possibility of essential tremor and you may require an EEG or sleep study to see what is causing the jerks.