Keppra after stroke
My mother suffered a stroke about a year ago and was put on Keppra in the hospital to help reduce her possibility of seizures. We were told that this is commonly done.
She is still on Keppra per Neurologists orders to help 'protect' the brain while it is healing.
Problem: side effects of Keppra seem to contradict what our goals for mom are....memory loss, mood changes, mental changes and vision changes among others.
Is Keppra safe to use for this (it is not being used with any other seizure medication....just by itself)?
We want to wean her off, but the doctor is wanting to keep her on it.
A good Neuro would be able to tell you more specifically about your mother's condition.  As my DD is in Keppra, and has previously been on other seizure meds, the Keppra, by far has had the least amount of side-effects.  You could ask if some of her mood changes, memory loss, etc. are from the stroke vs. the Keppra.  Please do not wean her off the medication without a Dr's directive... that could cause withdrawal seizures.
My thoughts are with you that your mother gets well soon.
my father have the same condition, the doctor just prescribe him Kepprra and i'm worried about that cause he had a brain stroke and never suffered from seizures. so i wanna now how its going with your mother, and if u can contact me to know more i'd really appreciate it.
thank you