L arm/hand troubles, Spine Arthritis, Brain Encephalomalacia
I am new to this forum, having found it when searching for explanations via Google on 'encephalomalacia'...i am a 46 yo female having had been diagnosed in 1995 with a thalamic glioma...benign congenital lump is how it was explained to me. I was scanned 5 mo after dx to check for any growth. No growth, good news. After having had shingles while pregnant with my son a couple of years following this diagnosis, my health went completely downhill: nerve damage (small numb spot remains on my thigh), PAIN--diagnosed also with Fibromyalgia, depression (i believe mostly due to inability to do much of anything!), mood changes, worsening of allergies, weight gain (again, due to inability to move like i used to- running, golfing, weight lifting--used to love gymnastics when younger) high blood pressure...now I've recently seen major changes in my spine--osteoarthritis, bulging/herniated cervical disks, bone spurs...basically, I hurt EVERYWHERE--joints, muscles. Now, the latest, as of a couple of weeks ago, is a numbness in my L arm--little to no reflex up and down the entire arm. I had a brain MRI (17 years since the last one) and a cervical mri--I have a complete reversal of lordosis cervically, herniated disks--AND the brain MRI show thalamic encephalomalacia in the area where the 11x11x8 glioma is...my dr. says my brain is beginning to show signs of becoming 'mushy' in that area. Interestingly enough, I complained of not being able to read more than a chapter in a book, completely distracted by everything, never finishing a project, and the last couple of months have been prescribed Ritalin, with good results and an improved change in attention span and focus. I have had the usual falls, bumps to the head, etc, but am having a hard time understanding this mushy brain-thing. I know this is sometimes a result of inflammation, as well, and wondering: is there any kind of treatment for this? I am to visit a neurologist soon--hopefully to find out whether the weakness, numbness and lack of reflex in my arm is from the spinal issues or possibly something within the brain. (?) any info/experiences greatly appreciated! thx.