L4-L5 Microdiscectomy!
I had L4 L5 Microdiscectomy surgery 4 weeks ago. Im having the same pain I had prior to the surgery. Buttock, hip and sciatic and heel pain on L side.  My question is, though there is pain after the surgery and recovery is expected, if I am experiencing the SAME pain as before did the surgery actually work.  In other words does the same pain come back in these surgerys for some people but than finally let up due to whatever? I cant wait to go back for my 6 week dr visit, but man im hurting!
Thanks anyone
Steve M
Hi, Thank you for your question. Your symptoms could be suggestive of either some nerve injury or a pressure on the nerve after the fusion surgery. Another possibility in your case could be damaged the soft-tissues such as muscles or underlying skin. However, it is essential to clarify that nerve injury does not necessarily mean complete injury to the nerve and it may be either edema or some type of compression of nerve by a blood clot or scar formation. I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. Hope this helps.
Thank you DR. I will be seeing my orthopeatic dr. in two more weeks.