Neurology Community
L4-L5 slipped with a bulging disc

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

L4-L5 slipped with a bulging disc

Im a SSG in the Army and I have been dealing with the left side of my left thigh being numb for the last 10 years. when I lay on my back or when I stand in formation in one place it really goes numb, and not just numb, a burning numb. I had told the medics about it 6 or 7 years ago and they said I was fine, it was normal. Then I had an MRI done about 2 years ago and it showed the slipped disk. I just had another MRI done in October and it showed the same thing, but now I have to wait to get back from deployment to do physical therapy. I think I know what might have caused it. I was in a boat accident when I was in the Marines while we where training. I was folded in half with my left sholder almost touching my left knee. My L4-L5 is slipped to the left. Does anybody know if this is recoverable, easy to correct? What can happen if I dont get it fixed? I know my leg keeps on getting more and more numb as time goes on. In fact, its pretty numb right now writing this.
Well, you need to get yourself a profile, a non-combat MOS and relieved from PT requirements, for starters. Numbness is not the problem. Pain is the problem, and you are fortunate this has not happened.  Intractable level-ten pain is the potential result of ignoring this injury. You have to stop causing more damage. The exercises will help. A surgical operation called a laminectomy is another option. If you don't strain this injury, and do the exercises, there is a good probability it will go away and the problems stabilize or go into remission. Continue with PT and you may end up unable to sit down in an automobile or sleep due to the pain. Make sure you document the pain and discomfort. Conscientious soldiers end up with clean medical records and the special award of purple shaft with ring device from the Veteran's Administration.
It's going to need surgery.  But caution into the surgery because its serious and doesn't always work. U might not ever get it to go away.