L5 nerve root permanent damage
My Orthopedic Spine Specialist who performed my 3rd back surgery 5 months ago a L3-S1 spinal fusion a XLIF and a PLIF for spinal stenosis with compression nerve L3-S1 told me yesterday I had "battered nerve syndrome" L5 he ordered a CT myelogram and discussed a implant of a L5 nerve stimulator. All this because I can only stand for 5 minutes before my right thigh to big toe get numb which then makes my back hurt so bad I have to find a place to sit down. Unfortunately, this happens with all activity. Anything I attempt to do is a disaster. Going to any type of sorting event, going to a concert, going out with friends, walking, golfing, to cooking...standing in the kitchen is the worst. But the most demoralizing part is I can't work, I have not returned to work in the last 2 years, I miss my family medicine position to provide care to patients. I hate being on this end of the spectrum.
Any other options of treatment? What exactly does a battered L 5 nerve mean other than the obvious?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Battered nerve syndrome is otherwise known as complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) or reflex sympathetic dystrophy. It has three stages. You appear to be in the first stage in which there is intense burning pain. This is followed by stage 2 and 3 wherein skin changes and muscle wasting etc sets in. Usually this stage is manageable by steroids, pain killers, spinal cord stimulators, intrathecal drug pumps etc. A very important component of treatment is occupational and physical therapy. This along with cognitive behavior therapy teaches you ways to manage this pain. Along with this, cool moist drapes over the affected areas help bring temporary relief to burning. High dose steroids are often very helpful in controlling the inflammation and thus reducing the pain. Vitamin D and vitamin B12 supplementation may also help. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.