LP shunt V VP shunt
I was diagnosised with IIH/BIH in July. I have Papilloedema in both eyes.After a meeting with the neurosurgeon it was decided that the best course of action was a VP shunt.( having tried Diomax and lumber puncture with no suceess).This Tues I was scheduled for surgery for a VP shunt but after a cat scan with contrast, the surgeon, not the one I spoke with,said the ventricles were too small to navigate. I am now left with the difficult decision (my surgeon is out of the country for two weeks)which shunt to have.?My surgeon said the LP shunt would not work for me. Is there any other way to go?
I am terrifed and am losing confidence in the surgery team.Will I lose my eye sight without surgery?Please, could some one try and answer? Thank you. Cath278

Thanks for writing in.
If your ventricles are too small for shunt placement, LP shunt will be the right procedure for you since in this procedure shunt is placed inside the lumbar CSF and drained in to the peritoneal caviity. Long term results are however not as good as VP shunt and sometimes the LP shunt needs to be converted to a VP one.
Please discuss all this with your operating surgeon. Take care!

Thank you for such a quick response and for answering my questions. I have just one more question, if you dont mind.Is there  any other way to go if the shunts are not viable?I am starting to realise the trouble I am in. I will talk to my neuro and surgeon next week about which step to take next. Thank you very much Dr. Noopur.
                                                                           Cath278.
Just curious where you are with shunt surgery.  Did you have it done yet?
Sorry! Didnt see your post till just now. I hope you were not in a hurry with a question. I am two weeks post-op after a VP shunt.I had a few complications but  I am doing well now.If you need any information regards the shunt or IIh please feel free to contact me.Cath278
hi ,
   my dad developed a hydrocephalus after  a brain tumor surgery the surgeons put him on a LP shunt but it has not been working well for him and we feel he needs a VP shunt . i wanted to know if VP shunt was painful that is after haveing it placed does it cause irritation or pain or isit a temporary pain but eases later.can u please write me at  solano_ra***@****  the other details too i there are related to a VP shunt.