Neurology Community
LP shunt to a VP shunt

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

LP shunt to a VP shunt

My son's neurosurgeon wants to change the LP valve to a VP valve because he feels the LP is not working anymore. He is planning to leave the LP in place and just place the VP shunt in.  Has anyone else had this done. What is the recovery time on a VP shunt?  Has anyone had a VP shunt and LP shunt, which has worked better for them?  My son has had his LP shunt for the last 4 and half years.  Before that he had I believe 4 to 5 shunt revisions due to malfunctioning. His first shunt was place in '99 due to pseudo tumor cerebri. Any info you can give me would be wonderful.
Thank you.
hi when you say VP shunt do you mean VentriculoPeritoneal shunt?
if so, i have a vp shunt alone. recovery time is very fast, i was out of hospital a day after my surgery :) the day before i was in a coma, the new shunt worked wonders as my shunt had malfunctioned whilst i was in hospital.
good luck :) xo
Hi!

I am a 32 year old female who was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri (aka) Idiopathis benign intracranial hypertension back in 1998.  Since then I have had (6) LP Shunt Placements, (8) LP Shunt Revisions, and (6) Lp Shunt Removals as well as most recently back in Sept 2008 I had a VP Shunt placed and 10 days after placement it had to be revised as it completely came out of my peritineal cavity and filled my open abdominal cavity with spinal fluid.  I am now scheduled for my 2nd revision of this VP Shunt on Jan 2=13 2009 as the same thing has happened again only they fear they will have to replace the entire shunt and not just a simple revision as due to the catheter coming loose in my abdomen again---it did not drain freely into my stomach as last time--instead it became obstructed and was unable to drain at all.  That has caused severe pressure feeling directly where the valve is placed and the area between the valve and my right ear.  Well this morning I woke up and was nearly unable to move at all.  From the base of my skull, down the side of my neck and into my chest was sooo soar that I could not even bare the surface skin to be touched by clothing.  I was sent to see my neuro thismorning and was advised that the catheter had moved partially back through my diaphram causing more tubing than is supposed to be in my chest area which has cause severe inflamation (inflammation) of the muscles as well as spasms.  And the catheter had sprung a leak so to speak near my collar bone where the pressure backing up was so great that it caused a rupture of the catheter.

Now that being said---I still prefer the VP Shunt over the LP Shunt ANY DAY!!!  Because when it works correctly--My normal life is returned to me.  As my Doctor explained---Some people have nothing but problems with them for 4 or 5 years and other people may have there in for 10-15 years and never have a single problem.

The thing that I most prefer about the VP Shunt versus the LP is that the VP Shunt now has a magnetic Control valve that allows the doctors to adjust the flow rate little by klittle where as the LP Shunt does not.  I experienced EXTREME and DEBILITATING Spinal headaches with every one of my LP Shunts--I have not had the experience with the VP Shunt.

The physical recovery is not bad.  As with any surgery you will of course experience pain--especially in the shoulder, neck, and chest area that will be quite painfl immediately after surgery but subsides fairly quickly, and the the head incisions to me--well I really didnt feel them that much.  They just felt like a little bee sting ort a bump on the head.

I hope my experience will help you some and Good Luck with your son!
My son had an LP shunt on Dec 11th... and did great for a few days.. On Jan 4th we were back in the hopsital with headaches and vomiting... he was hydrated and sent home again... he is still having headaches and alittle vomiting.. he doesn't want to sit up because he says his head hurts worse... has anyone experienced these symptoms after an LP shunt?? Please help.. Ruth
my son was diagnosed with a grade1 brain  (hydrocephalus) at birth in april of 2007 due to prematurity. he was born at 23 weeks and was 1 pound 2 ounces. they assumed it would go away on its own...well it didnt it progressed and as of 3 months old it was to a grade 3. they then placed a vp shunt ...it has had over 30 revisions...and now since February he also has an lp shunt which has been revised 6 times. he is always in the hospital always in pain and always having surgery. it really worries me because he is only 3 and i am starting to feel like its only getting worse. he is the happiest little boy and has no other complications or problems. im wondering if anyone knows of a better hospital i can take him to or what else can be done. please let me know or get in contact with me. thank u rachael 586 864-3936  
My son had a vp shunt surgery and after a month with the shunt he couldn't sit and walk he only lies down.His brain isn't co-ordinating with him,what should i do?i hav been to hospitals and they said they can't do anything.Pls help me