Neurology Community
Lack of Oxygen to the Brain leading to a Coma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My Father-In-Law had an ulcer in his stomach which caused his stomach to rupture causing severe pressure which cut off his oxygen supply and he went unconscious.  My husband tried to give him mouth to mouth resuscitation until the ambulance arrived approx 15-20 minutes later.  He has been in a coma for 2 days and is on a life support machine.  The only sign of any brain activity so far is that he is taking some independent breaths.  How long can someone go without oxygen before there is brain damage ?  If someone has been without oxygen for 15 minutes is there any hope that they can wake from a coma without any brain damage.  If there is brain damage, is it always severe or does it depend on each patient ?
Never lose hope. Miracles happen all the time.
How is the father-in-law?
hello. I have just read your posting about your father-in law. How is he doing?
My mother had a heart failure and had went into a cardiac arrest in the ambulance. CPR was performed while the ambulance was driving to the hospital( for about 19 minutes) but she didnt get her heart kick started til she got to the hospital. She was taken into ICU and they lowered her temperature right away to minimize any brain damage for about 3 days.
They were sedating her on purpose at the time but now that they took her out of sedation, she has opened her eyes and all but she is still hooked up to the ventilator (it's there to help her breathe even though she breathes on her own). they did some neurology testing to read her brain wave-signals and I am waiting for the results for now. I just wanted to hear your experience so I couldnt help to write you this post.
Each individual is different and the brain is so complex. What might cause serious brain damage in one person may only cause slight damage in another. People have been shot in, stabbed, and are missing large chunks of their brains and are able to live normal to somewhat normal lives. Don't give up, like someone else said miracles can happen, don't give up hope. Your father-in-law is able to sense everyone by his side and that will help him fight to come back.
The exact same thing happened to my mother on May 15, 2008. She has now been in a coma for 3 weeks, but we are patiently waiting, praying, singing, and talking to her so that she would know that we have not left her side. I will pray for your mother. I believe in miracles and will always have hope and believe that the Lord will bring our mothers back to us even better than before.
hi my name is pinkie69 my brother had a heart attack and is also in the hospital in a coma due to a ulcer his brain went without oxygen for about 10 mins the doctor told me he was going to die today he opened his eyes but not responding to any thing all they keep telling me is he's a very sick man . What do i do i'm worried sick he's only 30 years old no kids only me my middle brother and my mom he's the baby of the family. I'm Scared to death.  
My dad went in for a hip replacement on Monday... he did his other one last year and everything went fine. The monday and tuesday he was fine except tuesday night he was telling us he wasn't going to the bathroom. Wednesday he was very lucid, bloated and couldn't breathe...after a little while he got very agitated and stopped breathing. It took 12 mins for the docs to get him back... today the doctor said that they suspect he has severe brain damage and that my family should start thinking about his quality of life. My family prays for him everyday and we aren't losing hope and either should any of you... miracles happen and they can happen to anyone.

My prayers are with you and your families.

If anyone has any links and useful info please post... thanks.
My uncle went in the hospital for anemonia, suppost to get out today, instead he somehow got choked on food and they found him dead, brought him back to life, he was without oxygen for 20 minutes, hes now on a respirator and today they are going to do a c scan to see how much damage was done, I pray that everything will be ok, I dont understand how someone can get choked in a hospital and them not even know a patients dead, and also I read the comment someone wrote about keeping the tempature cold to prevent damage , he was so hot yesterday his forehead has sweating,  I feel it was due to the hospitals stupidity, but none the less, I pray he will survive this ordeal
hi my mum fell down the stairs and was pronouncd dead but was brought back by paramedics, she is now on critical care unit, she was without oxygen to the brain for around 10 mins, have been told today she has swollen brain, but still has not come round after drugs to induce the coma thursday, am just hoping and praying she comes round.
My 17 year old son had his apendix burst in him and during operation he had a heart attack but cpr was done and his heart worked after 12 mins. The doctor used the cooling process and in 2 days time my wife and I was told he would be brain dead. That night we sleep at the hospital and at 12.00 PM we saw him move. The next day we were told he was not brain dead but would not breath on his own. He is now breathing on his own. He is in a coma and we are told he will be that way for the rest of his life. I am writing on the 6 day since he is in the hospital.
My uncle has breathing problems. COPD. He couldn't breathe, turned swollen and pruple in face, was rushed to hospital, died, came back, had a heart attack and was without oxygen for 20 minutes. It's been around five days and drs are saying he won't make it. I see eye fluttering, his tongue comes out, his mouth tightens and opens, he yawns, sometimes he flexes his hand in mine....yet none of my family think he's going to make it. Just me and my dad have hope and they're about to take him off of life support. I think it's too soon and it's startin a big fued with our family. He inhales, exhales with a little bit of oxgen pressure but when taken off, he stopped after two hours. EEGs say he has low brain waves. He also had seizures the first night, but none now. I feel like he's in there. I play an MP3 player in his ear of soft music and I rubbed reese's chapstick on his lips because he likes reeses chocolate. However, none of my attempts are bringing him back. While some family laugh in the waiting room, i sit in the room with my uncle trying to get him to respond. my dad massages his legs and feet, I hold his hands and open his eyelids when he won't. I feel like he's there and yet it's not our decision to make. I feel like I am losing him and I'm soooooo scared to death, too. I wish I had a better answer for others. I believe in miracles, yet I feel like it's his time now. It's all I can tell myself when others are trying to end it for him. He has pnuemonia (pneumonia) a bladder infection...just so many things wrong with him and yet, I want to hold on. I want him to try and for us to try....just make sure that those you love know it because I don't want anyone to feel regrets as do I for not appreciating his presence more. I love my uncle mike and it's important that I share his story. he's 54 years old.
My mother had a cardiac arrest( braidy cardia) just after she was given general anethesia for her shoulder dislocation operation, and soon after 15 mins of the given anethesia she got a crdiac arrest by the time the doctors revived her they found that her heart was not pumping blood properly. It was past 10 mins mins by then. she is went into coma and is there has been no reponse at all since 17 days now. She was on the ventilator for teh first 6 days days then was breathing on her own with support of oxygen,  but often her  breathing rate increases and blood pressure too. She is given liquid feed timely. The doctors have given up.
my sister was found in the bathroom sitting on the toilet... passed out.  at the hospital, they said she had a subdural hematoma, bleeding between the brain and skull.  she went in for emergency surgery and now they just took her out of the induced coma.  how long until she comes out of the coma all together?  she's moving her arms, bending her legs, jerks when pricked with a needle in both hands, but does not respond to light in the eyes.  will she ever be able to see again?  everybody says she will come out of this ok because of the improovments she making so fast, but i'm worried about the eyes.
My husband had a sub arachnoid hemorrhage on April 3, 2011.  They placed a stent in his vessel (Pica) on April 4th.  On April 14th, he was making very good progress.  Vision was fine, he was tracking us with his eyes, and even saying some full sentences.  The respiratory therapist jabbed a nasal suction through his notril, which had been traumatized, and it caused a huge bleed.  He had moderate to high amount of blood in his lungs, which caused Respiratory Distress and led to Cardiac Arrest.  His code lasted between 15-20 minutes.   Now he only opens his eyes, but doesn't seem to focus.  He can wiggle feet at times upon stimulation.  But, is not moving his upper extremities.  He is breathing some on his own,  but the ventilator is assisting.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Today is May 1st.  He's 53 years old.
. My brother had a massive heart attack. Today was 2 weeks ago. He is truly a true Miracle. His heart has stoped for 20 mins. They got it going again and was in intensive care and the 3 day they said there was no hope for him and we had to make a decision so we thought that he would not want to lay there the way he was so they took off life support and all IV's and said that it wouldn't be long. We waited and waited for Jesus to come and take him home. 4 hours went by and then another 4 hours he awoke and was trying to talk. The Doctor's and nurse didn't belive it they said it was medical impossible. We were all so happy and praising the lord. There is one thiing I know is that I witness a real miracle. My brother has a long way to go. But I will always keep the faith . Because I know our God did not bring him back to us just to take him back with out a message to recive out of this. I pray that he heals him all the way, and uses him as a witness for him. Dont give up I know for certen that miracle do happy ..Keep the faith and God bless you and your famile. Know that God is in control.
hy all my dad went to italy for minor back injury surgery after the surgery now hes in the icu brain damaged ..dr. saying no hop
This just happened to my brother. What happened?
What happened to your brother? This same thing just happened a month a go to my brother.
I am going through this now with my brother. What happened to your uncle?
How is your son now? going thrught same thing for the past month with my brother.
What happened?
What happened to your father? Going through the same thing with my brother.
My sis in law had hyperension since the age of 20 , she is now 34yrs old.  She experienced chest pain and went to hosptal where they detected aortic dissection and performed emergency surgery with 20% survival chance. Within 24hrs of surgery her heart stopped due to internal bleeding. after 15 min they could get it started and brain lacked oxygen during that period. All EEG, CT scan reports say no activity in the brain and shows severe brain damage patches. We waited for 2 weeks she was still on ventilator and had other organs issues as well due to the impact of surgery. She has atlast opened her eyes but they dont react to light, they are like ball floating on the water, her legs moves some time and jerks at times. My father in law doesnt want to give up but Drs have given up and informed us that she will be in vegetative state if she starts breathing on her own. We all do not want to give her this life but it is hard to take such decision. Its been almost 2mths not and we cannot see any improvement in regards to her brain. They are last going to try with some current through her brain and see if she comes back to us. I hope things work out but if not we will take the support off after 1 week or so and hope she doesnt survive in that stage after the support is taken off.
I feel sorry for everythg and feel selfish at times but then i have to be practical as i know we wont be able to face the consequences if she stays inthat stage. I hope God would forgive me to encourage family for this decision btu i like her a lot from bottom of my heart. I although dont appreciate my Father -i-L to keep trying if no recovery is seen as this will have a great impact on our lives if she comes out of vent and survives inthat stage. I have cleared my heart and feeling better.
my dad is having 2 cardiac arrest and having brain damage. he is opening his eyes but not responding its all most 15 days over. he is breathing on his own
but Doctors are not say any thing for brain recovery.so if any 1 is having any information about brain recovery plz share.God bless u all.
My cousin is in the same situation as your dad. It's been nine days since his cardiac arrest I've been waiting for any posts that might give us some positive information and hoping that someone out there has the solution. We don't want to give up on him it's sad and difficult to comprehend. Prayers is the only thing we can do at the moment. God bless us all.
So sorry to hear about your sister in-law. My family has a very similar story. my dad just said to me one evening that he had a sharp persistant pain in the middle of his back.  i tried to get him to describe the pain when i noticed he was short of breath it was very difficult for him to talk and he was in a lot of discomfort.  i called the paramedics, he was taken to the hospital and the diagnoisis was aortic dissection. We were told he needed emergency surgery ASAP so we consented. The surgery was 6 days ago and we are still waiting for him to awaken he also suffered kidney failure and was placed on dialysis, so far his kidneys have shown signs of improving a little. The Doctors have done the CT scan and the EEG both determined his brain is functioning but the medical staff doesn't know why he has not awakened.  the MRI is pending but i'll tell you this waiting has about drained us all......Thank you so much for sharing your story and allowing me to share mine...May God bless your family as well as mine.
Hi im writing to see if anyone can give me any hope for my uncle, he took an overdose on sat night sunday am an was only found the next morning, so quite a long time to guess how long he possibly wasnt receiving oxygen to the brain, we we found him he was breathin bt had been sick and aspirated into his lungs, that at first was the main worry, now they are talkin about the fact due to his position when found he th oxygen may not have been getting to his brain for a period of time as he was liein in quite a confined space. since then he as been in acoma now for 5days without any form of sedation or medication, using a vntilator to maintain his airwaays and support his breathing, he is breathing a good bit on his own.  yesterday wen the family were in an talkin he made crying facial expressions and tears came, and today there was slight movement in his arm and legs, his eyes remain closed. is there any hope!? devasted neice x
I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle.  I understand exactly what you are feeling.  My mother, just a week ago, went in for neck surgery.  Surgery went fine, recovery was fine, but some time during the night, she aspirated and went without oxygen for approximately 30 minutes.  Why in the world the hospital didn't check on her but every hour I'll never know because she was 76 and had actually flatlined in their recovery room just 4 years earlier.

She, according to doctors, was in a severe coma and was not able to even  breathe on her own.  The brain didn't meet brain death criteria but was one step from it.  We ended up taking her off life support because there was no improvement whatsoever, and doctors said it was irreversible damage and would probably meet criteria for brain death within 48-72 hours.  I know she would not choose to live in a vegetative state if she had not been brain dead.  I believe we made the right decision as my Mom died within minutes of taking her off life support.

It was the hardest thing I've ever endured.  All I know is to pray to God that he will wrap your uncle in his loving and healing arms.  It's truly the only way I am getting through this.

I feel that the hospital was negligent in her case.  I'll pray for your uncle.  Keep hoping and keep the faith!
Never lose hope my father is 69 had a pacemaker for going on 8 years (which was shut off 2 months ago ), his heart only pumps at 5 % has 8%kidney function and cirrohsis of the liver. He had a seizure Sat and was unresponsive for 20 min. And according to the dr's he should not be able to communicate or move, he is in the hospital arguing with the nurses and talking to everyone . His speech is a little slurred but you can still understand what he is saying. NEVER lose hope and faith God is great and knows why things happen. My father should not be alive according to all the different Dr's that have taken care of him and yet he is still here fighting for his life.
My best friend is in coma now. She had fever, which lead to a cardiac arrest. There was no oxygen supply to the brain for 10 minutes,. It has been 3 days now. Hoping for her to talk to me..God is great..Miracles are possible. Pray for Sasi..
My sister in law overdosed on heroin and xanax last night .She is in the hospital right now, in a coma.When ems got to her she was already purple and blue and they guestimated that she had been without oxygen for 55 minutes. There has been no changes in behavior.
My brother got really sick and kinda passed out while he was with someone( thank god) so they took him in to the hospital. They had to resuscitate him when he got there it was small hospital so they life flighted him over to a bigger one on the way there he died again. He was gone for a total of 12 mins. His oxygen was soo low they put him on oxygen where it still stayed low the doctors had to put an emergency artificial lung into him and prep him for the mayo clinic to be put on ECMO its and artificial lung and heart so his lungs could rest. He ended up having legionnaires disease. He was under sedation and on the ECMO for 4 weeks during that time they were not hopeful that he would come out of the sedetion or have brain function. It's been 7 days since the ECMO machine has been off and 5 days since they brought him out of sedation.  He came out of it and was responding to commands....Right now he will move everything and answer yes and no questions but I guess he just acts confused so they want to do a CT scan. HE is on dialysis because his kidneys are not coming back yet but every thing seems to be doing good. I hope the CT scan comes back and he is just confused my mom is going to go down there and we are hoping he jsut need something familiar we all had to leave the day after he was taken out of sedation. I hope all your loved ones come out of the comas with no brain damage and I pray my brother is ok too!!
I've read almost all of your stories and it makes me have even more trouble understanding how this could of happen, why this has happen. Why couldn't he ask someone for help, why couldn't any of us see what was happening.  My brother hung himself 3 days ago,and by the time the ambulance got his heart beating once more, he had been without oxygen for 25 min. I'm losing my brother and i don't understand the **** why. I'm scared and i don't know what to do. I'm scared for my brother, and my mother because i don't know how much more of this she can take. pleas if there is any hope of him coming out of this without being a vegetable tell me.
I cannot answer your questions about whether your brother will be OK.  I am looking at this site as I have a relative who is in a medically induced coma due to a serious motor bike accident.

However, my 12 year old son hung himself many years ago.  We had no idea anything was wrong.  We believe it was a spur of the moment impulse action and he didn't fully understand there would be no coming back from what he was doing.  I don't know how old your brother is but he may have just been feeling upset or depressed about something & just thought he would do that.  They are not really considering other people only how they are feeling at that moment.  It is hardest for the ones who have to deal with what has happened afterwards.  We live a long way from the hospital & the air ambulance got lost, everything that could go wrong did go wrong & it was too late for my son by the time he got to the hospital.

I really feel for you as I know what you are going through as my son who died had a younger brother.  There are people who can give you some support if you need it like the "compassionate friends" though I am not up to date on these groups now.

Don't blame yourself or any other members of your family.  It was just how your brother felt at the time.

It is a terrible path you and your family are traveling up and you will need to find a lot of strength to keep going on some days.  My youngest son was a quiet shy little boy but he had to come out of his shell.  He is now a very strong & confident person.  I cannot say what has happened has not affected any of our family as our lives were changed forever.  It is not something that we can ever get over, but it is something that with time the pain grows less. Your family needs to support each other & be strong.  

I wish I could wave a magic wand & make everything better for you but sadly I can't, so i will just send you my best wishes & hope things will turn out well for your brother.

Hello, I had just read your post about your uncle.
I deeply apologize,  was he ever able to come out of it?
And if so what state was he I'm when he awoke. I'm sorry
To have bothered you but the same thing has happened with my father
Any answers will help. I thank you for sharing your story.
after reading your post I am wondering how all went? on Monday a friend of mine had the same thing happen, it has been 5 days now, she is in ICU, and the swelling of her brain is still so severe, is there any hope?
My brother has been in a coma for 13 days after being attacked and left for dead.  He suffered a heart attack I believe it was 10ins before cpr brought him back. In ctu they put him in an induced coma and kept his heart etc cool. The doctors are not holding out much hope as they say that he has minimal brain activity.
He is breathing on his own and eyes flick open and is on minimal drugs and has a feeding tube. We don't want him to be in a vegative state. Should they really be giving him a ct scan or mri scan to be certain about brain activity? Has anyone been told this and the patient recovered?