Neurology Community
Lack of Oxygen

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lack of Oxygen

Unfortunately, my mother has attempted suicide. She was found and when she was found she had only a pulse ox of 51. She was intabated later due to not breathing well enough on her own. Since she has recovered and is being sent to a Mental Hospital for treatment. Since the attempt she has been talking about wierd instances (such as she was chasing doves) and she is so serious about this. She claims she and the doctors were chasing them. She also is talking out of her head. But when she is told it is not true she jumps to defense and gets all upset. With lack of oxygen is their cases of possible brain damage?
What does this mean?

"She was found and when she was found she had only a pulse ox of 51."

People who attempt suicide usually have mental illness or at least a mental breakdown. In your moms case..Was she on medication? Was she taking anti-depressants?

If you have a low oxygen level..it doesn't take very long before you start to have damageing effects in the brain. So to answer your question...of possible brain damage due to lack of oxygen...the answer is yes. But, there is a lot of factors to consider and each person is different. So, lets hope for the best for your mom.

I am sure she will get the help she needs in the hospital.Right now, that is the best place for her.

TAKE CARE...PRAY FOR YOUR MOM...KEMOSABI.
When I was called by my sister and I went to check on my mom I found her laying down and she had already taken the overdose. And when the paramedics assessed her she only had that % of oxygen in her blood.