Lack of Oxygen
My son experienced a loss of oxygen following an endoscopy procedure.  He has been in a semi comatose state for the last 2 weeks.  He was originally sedated, but has been removed from the sedation.  He is experiencing seizure activity and is now receiving seizure medication.  He does open his eyes and he does move his limbs, but there is no response to verbal commands.  He is on a vent, but he is breathing over the vent.

The hospital does not know how long he was without oxygen.  I would like to know what types of tests can be administered so that we can determine the extent of any brain injury.  He has had a scan and 2 EEGs.

Thank you

Hypoxic brain injury occurs when brain receives inadequate oxygen for several minutes or longer causing the brain cells to die without oxygen.

Diagnosis is made by the clinical history, examination (neurological) and tests such as
• CT scan of the head
• MRI scan of the head
• EEG : to measure the electrical activity of the brain
• Evoked potentials (SSEP, BAER, VEP)— To electrically evaluate the visual,      
        auditory, and sensory pathways)

These tests can be repeated over a period of time to gauge the extent of damage/recovery by serially comparing their findings.

Take Care and do write in if you need more information.
Regards