Neurology Expert Forum
Lack of blood flow/oxygen to brain due to deformed/blocked veins in nec...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lack of blood flow/oxygen to brain due to deformed/blocked veins in neck?

I am concerned about having blockages in my jugular veins as well as possible blockages in other areas of my neck but am having difficulty finding a doctor that refer me to have an MRV or check thoroughly all of the veins in that area...I have vertigo/dizzy spells, shortness of breath, memory loss, purple feet/fingers (raynauds) confusion,tingling/numbness/heat sensation in extremities, and a feeling in my head like ive been doing a handstand for an hour (like all the blood is rushing to my head) i have also recently had a giant vein show up in my forehead that was never there before and when i laugh/bend down/etc. it protrudes even further...Several family members of mine have had blockages in the arteries/veins in their neck as well as in other main arteries and my symptoms sound similar to what my grandma experienced when they found abnormalities in her jugular veins and it also sounds to me like my symptoms seem like theres a lack of oxygen to the brain? I was wondering what this sounds like to you? Any advice on how to get a referal to have this thoroughly checked? I have good insurance and i would rather not have to pay out of pocket.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

A large function of the veins is to allow for large volume of blood. For example, if you lean your head forward, gravity will pool blood in the veins of your head. This is also why many people have dilated veins of the legs/feet.

If you do not have pure neurological symptoms, there is no indication for an MRI.

Often these symptoms that you describe may reflect emotional/psychiatric problems related to stress (what is called somatization disorder). The latter is a true medical condition whereby instead of a patient experiencing depression or anxiety, they experience physical symptoms, and once the stress is addressed, the symptoms resolve.

I would suggest you continue to work with your primary care physician. Given your family history, you will need to reduce your risk factors for stroke, including blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

loverofpuppies,  I too have been through a familiar set of symptoms...maybe not to the letter like yours, but similar especially when it comes to the dizziness and head pressure.  I, too, have questioned many doctors and, I also have received this very familiar answer that it's a psychiatric problem.   There may be a sliver of truth to the answer they give, but the thing that doctors don't want to hear from people like us, is that we didn't have any psychological issues until the physical symptoms has been there for a while and driven us borderline mad
Be careful how hard you press for an answer, you risk being labeled a hypochondriac,  then no one will ever take you seriously...it happened to me