Neurology Community
Lack of sweating

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lack of sweating

For whatever reason my body has stoped sweating in about 95% of my body. I have had this happened once before when I was 18 as a freshmen in college, I am now 39. I drink plenty of water( a ton). My sweating is limited to my neck, just underneath my eyes, my wrist, the inside of my elbows and my armpits. I used to sweat alot all over body with little movement. Now after 20 minutes of excercise mt face gets hot and my body over heats.  The last time this happened to me 20 years ago it lasted for about 7 months and then the sweating came back.

Any Idea as to what this could be?
I also had loss of sweating (but mine was only on the left side of my body--face, neck, chest, inner elbow) 15-17 years ago that was part of a Horner's syndrome (my pupil was also smaller and eyelid drooped on same side).  I am assuming your loss of sweating (and the places you still sweat) is bilateral (both sides).  If it happened before, disappeared, and now is happening again, it possibly could be some kind of autoimmune autonomic neuropathy phenomenon (as mine is).  Do you have other symptoms as well?  There are tests for this--something called QSART test and thermoregulatory sweat tests that can be done in an autonomic lab that can measure if you have abnormally decreased sweating and what the pattern is.  This might help your doctor eventually figure out the cause.  Lack of sweating can be seen with other autonomic dysfunction and/or linked to several different autoimmune diseases--connective tissue (like Sjogren's) or non-connective tissue (like MS).   I think it is usually from a peripheral neuropathy but can have a CNS cause--though rare, I believe (but that's what I believe mine was).  Have you seen a neurologist about it?
Yes sweating is a natural way your body gets rid of toxins.  
It is one of the side effects of a medication my son is on.  It wouldn't hurt to get that checked out.
I have a problem of going very red not usually in the face but all over my chest across my upper back and down the tops of my arms, it starts out very blotchy then turns into just a mass of bright red.  This happens at all different times, i could be just sat at home eating a meal, having a drink, excersing, embarassement and nervousness can also trigger it.  I am not sure if it has anything to do with it, but i very rarely sweat, i live in a very dry and hot area now and it is getting worse then what it used to be, Could it be the lack of sweating that causes it?  Is there anything that can be done?