Neurology Expert Forum
Lamotrigine
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Lamotrigine

Posted By Debbie on December 11, 1998 at 20:11:58:

I am currently taking 1200 mg of Neurontin daily for a recently diagnosed seizure disorder.  I am also diagnosed with dystonia, Writer's Cramp type although it actually affects my arms as well as hands. Before the Eeg which showed the seizure activity, I was on Artane (got very spacey on it) and then Sinemet (which I only took for a short time). After the neuro put me on Neurontin I went off the other medications.  I really don't like taking Medication but have resigned myself to the Neurontin.  It has helped with my spacey feeling, twitching which I experienced to a great extent is gone, and I have no fatigue, no side effects either!  But, I still get into the cramped hand and arm positions.  Lately I also have very tight musscles in my leg.  I was reading back through a few questions I had asked here over the past several months or so.  Lamotrigine was mentioned as an antiepileptic which is sometimes given for Movement disorders.  Since I have both a seizure disorder and Movement disorder, could this help both?  "Killing two birds with one stone", so to speak!  Could you tell me a little bit about this drug.  Also, is it common to have both seizures and a movemnt disorder, or is it possible this  is something else with these simply being symptoms?
I appreciate so much what this forum does.  I live very far from my neurologists and hate to bother them with my thoughts.  I am scheduled to see them next month and thought I might bring this up if it was a possibility.  I'd like to get rid of the weird hand positions and would prefer to take as few drugs as possible.  Thanks in advance.