Neurology Community
Large dent on top of skull

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Large dent on top of skull

Can a large dent on the top of my skull cause future problems?
About seven years ago I fell off my deck (15 ft) and landed on my head (hitting it on the edge of some concrete). I was taken to the hospital and there was nothing wrong with me, I had to get 23 stitches in my head and i also had a cracked arm. The dent in my skull is pretty large, its about 4 inches long from the top my head and down the left side. Ive noticed over the past couple of years i get dizzy more often and and my lower back hurts almost every day and Ive been getting headaches more often. Could this be because of the head injury?
Hi there!

If at the time of the injury the clinical and radiological evaluation was fine the dent in the skull should not be an issue and the symptoms are unlikely to be related to it. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by primary care physician initially and depending on the cause(s) diagnosed/ suspected, the symptoms can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!