Neurology Community
Leaking Spinal Fluid

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leaking Spinal Fluid

Can prolonged spinal fluid leaking lead to brain damage. And, if the care of the leaking fluid was handled in an unclean manner, such as changing dressing over the leaking fluid without sterilized gloves cause bacterial meningitis?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

You are absolutely correct. The cerebro-spinal fluid provides nutrition to the brain tissue, and also acts as a safety cushion. And if proper antiseptic precautions are not taken, there are chances of infection spreading up the meninges.

Regards
My sister just had her baby and they messed up her epidural and now she has spinal fluid leaking and is having headaches it has been a week or two so how ould you fix that?
Hello.

I would think of a blood patch. And I would like to treat any infection. If she has fever and other symptoms of infection, I would give her antibiotics.

She should rest for a couple of weeks. After every seven days, her blood patch should be checked for any leakage.

All the best. Hops the baby's doing well.

Regards
i had recently had a baby about 6 months ago and i just found out i have alot of irregular fluid on my spine....the doc tried several times to but this epidural in my back and it was very painful.....i'm going to see an neurologist tomorrow....what do you think this can possibily be? epidural fluid? i have heard many people talk about this before but have not had any responses from anyone
Hello.

Can you describe the "irregular fluid on spine" a bit more? Is it something you can feel on touch or is there a swelling, too? I can think of the possibility of a hematoma formation or fluid collection at the local site.

I guess you must have visited the neurologist already. How did it go?
My mom had surgery for trigemenal neuralgia.  SHe had SEVERE headaches for the first couple of weeks and now has had LOTS of spinal fluid leaking, for over a week.  Dr. redid stiches stopped for about a day, with severe headaches.  Now leaking ALOT again. She is taking antibotics.  Is this enough??  THey said we have to wait and see what happens.  She changed her pillow 4 times last night, finally just putting a towel over the pillow and going to sleep.  I think we need another opinion on this matter!
SAH 7 years ago out for two days C4/5 and C5/6 rupture NO treatments given other than neck brace ,have had fluid leaking from left ear off  and on 7 years  now have MS symptoms but all test except MRI normal. Can low CSF cause MS symptoms?
My daughter has had migraines and passing out, in November she
was leaving for a trip and passed out so her husband took her to the
emergency room.  They did a mri on her head and said she was fine.  That
was Thursday on Monday she passed out again and this time when he
took her to the emergency room they did a mri on her back and found
out she was leaking spinal fluid.  When they did the blood patches they
found out she had 10 holes.  It is now January and she is still having
migraines.  They never checked to see if the blood patches were holding.
She has been crawling or rolling to the bathroom because she is so dizzy and in pain.  This seems to me, that it is going on for a long time.  She
lives in North Carolina, do you have any recommondations of a doctor in
their area.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Is this going
to cause permanent medical problems.  Her eyes have been dilated for
several weeks they say it is the medicine for the pain and nausea.  The
eye doctor did a test and said he noticed a shadow behind her eyes.
Thank you for your help