Neurology Community
Left Leg Weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Left Leg Weakness

Hi I have been having left leg weakness and numbness for 2 years now.  My doctor thought it was pyschogenic,  but ive been to pyschology for a year and a half with no results.  My pyschologists doesn't believe in this diagnose.  Also a year ago my ankle was in a constant cramp inward.  A few weeks ago there was a nerve block down and the cramp went away.    Any ideas on what this could be would be helpfull and very appreciative.

Well, the nerve block results are a good indicator that you've got a pinched nerve or a low back problem that swelling or some arthritic type change is pushing on a nerve, or even swelling from a hip joint that is not working right, which any of this would be on the left side.  A neurologist could order a scan and decide if you do indeed have a nerve problem of some kind.  ALSO, could be one of the blood vessels that go into that leg is compromised somehow, and that is something that really ought to be checked out by a specialist for that sort of thing.  He needs to really check out your whole leg on up thru the hip and to the lumbar spine, to look for any problems with arteries and vessels all along that pathway.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

From your description of symptoms, it seems that it could be a nerve irritation of back or it may be psychogenic as well if there are no major changes. If nerves from the spinal cord are irritated that can cause leg, thigh pain and numbness, tingling, or weakness in the leg. Few persons also face generalized body weakness and numbness due to other nerve irritation on back. If you suffer continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in left leg, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here. These “red flags” could be indicative of compression of the spinal cord and its nerve branches and early treatment is essential if permanent damage needs to be avoided. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this help. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!