Neurology Expert Forum
Left chest and shoulder pain, left arm (underneath), wrist and pinkie f...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Left chest and shoulder pain, left arm (underneath), wrist and pinkie finger pai

Pain is always in the top of my left shoulder going all the way around my shoulder blade and underneath my collar bone. Tightness, dull pain and sometimes sharp pain in my arm pitt all the way down my left arm to my wrist and pinkie finger. Sharp and dull chest pains also from underneath my ribs towards my heart then towards my arm pitt. Feels as though its been wrenched out then put back together wrong. My pinckie finger can't be touched as when its pressed between my thumb and forefinger there is a pain inside also a tingling and tightness down my left finger to my wrist(at the front off the wrist) all the way to my funny bone. When I move my shoulder all I feel is clicks, my tenden pings like a guitar strings and sends a shock type feeling through my arm. Can you give me some advice, please.
Thank you
The area of pain and tingling you describe could be due to a pinched nerve(s) at the neck, the shoulder area is supplied by the 5th cervical nerve root, while the pinkie finger area and the inner aspect of the arm is supplies by the 8th cervical nerve root.
This is usually caused, especially in the acute setting, by a disc in the neck, but can be caused by other things like an extra cervical rib or a growth.
Sometimes there is no evidence of a pinched nerve and the nerves in that area can be painful without apparent cause (Neuralgic Amyotrophy
These are possible causes of your symptoms, but are just an approximation, as without seeing and examining you I cannot give you a definite diagnosis

A nerve conduction study/EMG (electrical study of the nerves) of your arm, done at least 3 weeks after the pain started (otherwise, even if a problem is there it won'y show up) may give more evidence of a nerve problem. Like wise an MRI of the neck would show if any nerves are pinched.

Good luck
stevie,

have been dealing with similar problems for 2 yrs, in my case TOS confirmed by EMG/NCV and wasting of hand muscles.  Try moist heat, there's a BedBuddy at drugstores for $10 you can microwave, stays warm for an hour, it helps.  Look for info on nerve glides and stretches, avoid any heavy lifting or overhead activity, take breaks from any work or computer activity, change positions, stretch, etc, every 1/2 hr or more, limit repetitive activities. Don't carry anything on affected shoulder!

PT- Ultrasound, massage to tight muscles may help, strengthening is likely to make you worse as muscles already too tight, nerves won't tolerate it.  Pool therapy allowed me to exercise, helped pain level. Once EMG/NCV narrows down problem location, pain Dr referral for nerve blocks, triggerpoint injections may be useful. Anti-seizure and anti-depression meds may be rx'd as they help with neuropathic pain.

Hoping it is something easily fixed - God Bless!

beth
I would like to know if you have found anyevidence of a c spine disc herniation, what treatments or tests have you had done.  I have deg disc dis in cspine and have almost completely the same problems.  Lots of pain and constant muscle spasms shoulder blade area and neck. pins and needles in palm, heel of hand and pinky finger.  Want to know also if muscles spasms in this area can cause muscles to tear in shoulder?
A related discussion, In Pain for two Weeks and counting was started.
A related discussion, Recent Fibro diagnosis was started.