Neurology Community
Left hand and wrist pain and tightness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Left hand and wrist pain and tightness

I have a bulging disc in my back L4&L5 w hich radiates pain down my left leg.  This is being treated by spinal injections of which I am on the second one and it seems to be working for my back, hip and leg. However, I have been experiencing muscle twitching on my left side, not pain just twitching involuntarily under on my left side.  I am experiencing sharp pain running from my pointer finger, palm of my hand and thumb along with a tightness at my wrist running up the lower part of my arm, but not to my elbow.  It's just in my left hand and a little bit beyond my wrist.  The pain comes and goes. It doesn't matter if I use my left hand a lot or a little, it just happens. Any suggestions as to what this can be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You have a bulging disc at L4/L5 level and epidural steroid injections are giving respite. You need to get an MRI spine done to check for similar lesions in the neck and back that could be causing compressive neuropathy in your left hand. Disc degeneration, prolapsed could cause exiting nerve roots being impinged. You must get an x ray shoulder joint to check for any degeneration in the capsule of the joint or any nerve impingement. Hope this helps. Take care.