Neurology Community
Left leg weakness and imbalance

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Left leg weakness and imbalance

I have heaviness and weakness in my left leg after activity and bending. i.e., housework, gardening and walking and it is accompanied with imbalance. The imbalance is all the time. What does this indicate? I have had a MRI of the cervical and lumbar spine and a neurosurgeon told me that I do not need surgery. Could this be coming from the pelvic or hip area instead of nerves in the spine? I do not have leg pain, only lower back pain due to arthritis in my spine.

This discussion is related to Left Leg Weakness.
Hello Dear,

Weakness generally is due to spine degenerative changes or pathology.Pain like sciatica originates  from the hip and travel to the calf.
You should go in for physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.

Refer http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article180.html
Best