Neurology Community
Left lower lip side numbness/unable to move

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My friend's father came home from his friend's home and complained severe headache and suddenly, while he was talking, started having problem with speech and felt the left side of lower lip has become numb.  He immediately went to a doctor who checked his BP and found it was 220/110 and he had some emergency treatment there and went back home. His daughter reported that as he came back home he slept whole night in an Air conditioned room and when he woke up the next day he was feeling more numbness in his already affected lip.

He had blood tests including cholesterol test and it was found to be normal. He is due to have an ECG now.

My question is:

1) What may cause the numbness of his left lower lip. Is it something related to brain that he should have an MRI or CT? OR

2) It is a cardiac problem?

I would greatly appreciate any expert advice on this issue so that we could seek opinion from Specialist.  If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me back.

Kind regards,

Khawar Khalid
I am not a professional, though I had a license for vocational nursing in the past.  It sounds like your friend's father has suffered a stroke and definitely will want at least a CT scan to look for signs of the stroke or better still, an MRA/MRV, which is an MRI looking at the blood vessels in the head that can be done after a suspected TIA (transient ischemic attack) or a full-blown stroke and doesn't involve the radiation of a CT machine.  It is very important he get this kind of testing to look at his brain situation and I do hope he was prescribed blood pressure medication to lower it to a normal level.  Also, did they put him on aspirin or plavix?
Thank you so much for your advice and quick reply to my query.  Yes, he has been prescribed Ascard 75mg o.d.
I looked up Ascard, and it looks like aspirin is an ingredient of it?
Yes it is Aspirin  
Is he getting ongoing medicinal help for his blood pressure, which was EXTREMELY high when he went into the ER?