Neurology Community
Left shoulder pain/ dull ache/burning- help

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am hoping someone can provide some insight. Two months ago, while at work (sit at a microscope for 8 hrs. a day for 10 yrs. now), I noticed some twinges in my L breast. I just assumed hormonal, but then I started getting twinges in my L shoulder, which turned into a dull aching and sometimes burning sensation. The area that it started out in was the side of the shoulder in the back, like under the arm. Imagine lifting your arm up, and right beneath your armpit, you rub the vertical area underneath. Now, two months later, the pain has progressed to sometimes on the top of my arm, the muscle. I seem to notice it more when I'm at my desk working.

Dr. visits have not diagnosed the problem. So far I've had a diagnostic mammogram (good) and a chest xray (good). The chest xray showed some slight curvature to the spine, but other than that, good. Of course because I've had some tingles and shooting sensations in my left breast, my mind starts to "connect" the two and worry that it is cancer. Dr. says that is highly unlikely and that it sounds like muscles or nerves, myofascial pain, etc.

Each day I wake up thinking positively, but then the pain rears its head and I start to worry again. Why isn't it going away? I can't figure out what's going on.

I'm 38 years old and have a one year old, that I am picking up constantly. I have a sit down job at a microscope that I am in a fixed position. Could poor posture be to blame? This is so strange. Sometimes, the area itches and the back of my shoulder blade itches, too. Tingles and twinges once in a while. What should I do?
A chest x-ray wouldn't show nerve impingement & a disc bulge
would have to be large to see on any basic x-ray. Most people
that use computers have their neck curved for hrs. & then get
this shoulder pain. I used a microscope yrs ago & had to take
breaks to neck stretch from similar problem. That was before
computers were around. Only way to really dx is to have a
Cervical mri. I have a slt spur at C4 & a bulge at C5 that has
caused me problems so I limit/corrected posture/hm-traction/
sleep w/ flatter pillow/icepak on neck if hurts. The C5 sends
signal to shoulder & you may be rolling it forward to pinch
another nerve going toward chest. Adjust chair & scope level if
possible (like a ph-bk or?). Most scopes are calibrated though
to remain stable. Even laying flat on a bag of frozen peas can
contour at neck if inflammation. If 2 discs compress, it's like a sandwich & the spine tissue pushes outward. Try to catch early
now so you can correct. Even carrying child will slope shoulder
& pull on nerve so just adjust things & see what works.  

Thank you for your post. It's interesting you worked with a microscope before, too. However, unlike yours, my work is so specialized, that the homemade desk that the microscope is attached to (not ergomically sound) cannot be manipulated into a better position. The pieces I work on are all different sizes, so the microscope must be adjusted accordingly. It is hanging from a metal rod that is attached to the bottom shelf of the desk.

You make great points about the spine/neck area. I wonder if this is the cause of such dull, aching shoulder pain, along with the weird nerve sensations? It seems so odd at times. Today, ibuprofen helped. But, I just wish that I could get rid of the feeling of being so "aware" of my left shoulder. There hasn't been one day in the past two months that the left shoulder wasn't on my mind.

I did have an Echo and EKG, along with bloodwork back in May, due to heart palpitations. All was fine. They just attributed the ectopic beats (PVC's) to lack of sleep, stress, and caffeine overload. (I love my coffee, and now drink decaf). The diagnostic mammo is clear. All my bloodwork was good.

Some of the things you talked about, I'm unaware of, such as nerve impingement. I will have to do some research on it. Thank you for all your advice and taking the time to  explain these things in detail for me!

I truly hope I get to the root cause of this. Although it's possible that I have tendonitis, I still wonder where the little twinges and itching comes from at times. I was told it cannot be rotator cuff disease since one usually cannot move their arm without extreme pain. My pain doesn't happen when I push on any areas, nor does it get worse when I move my arm and shoulder in any  ways. It's like a deep, dull aching and burning, especially when in use.

If anyone can advise me on what to do next, or have any clues on what it could be, I would be grateful to hear your input. I'm driving my family crazy with being anxious and scared. I know my body and I have never had anything like this , let alone be lasting 2 months now.

Thank you very much,
Kelly
I have the same thing, but on my right side. I know you don't want to hear this-my pain is going on two yrs now.I have had many, many tests done, some repeated. Nothing of significance has ever been found.I have been to many docs, many specialities.No one I have seen can figure it out.It is frustrating because I am a very healthy mother of two, that has never had any health problems.The pain is REAL though.My theory is I have a Repetitive Stress Injury due to my posture when I am on my computer.I have been told these types of injuries have increased a lot over the last 10yrs because of computer use. They are called RSI's.I was in an auto accident also a few years ago, where I suffered whiplash and it makes sense(to me) that it could be tied to that.However, the docs think my symptoms started too long(2 months) after the accident.Too much of a coincidence I think!Anyhow,I have changed my computer set-up,but the doc said this kind of injury/pain is very hard to get rid of and the best I can hope for is that eventually I will be able to manage the pain with meds, massage therapy and exercise.I have been seeing a trigger point massage therapist and it does help, but I only go once every two weeks.Insurance will not cover it.Make sure your docs check everything out before you assume it is nothing serious.Don't wait because the longer the pain, the harder it is to reverse the injury.I currently see an ortho doc that specializes in chronic pain.He is pretty good and genuinely interested in my problem(I think!) Good luck to you.
SO interesting to see someone else complaining of the same thing! I have had mine for over 2 years now.  I think it is related to a an injury I sustained in a motorcycle incident. It is better sometimes, really bad at others.  I find it is worst when I am tense or stressed out.  I have had a mammogram and am scehduled for another and ultrasound, but they have been unable to find anything.  Massage seemed to make it worse, and physio helped a little, but too little to keep me paying for the sessions.  I think my next try will be a chiropractor....Right now the worst part is that I am so aware of my left breast.  Every bra I try feels like it is digging in or like a tight band. Going without a bra doesn't feel much better.  The last couple of days I've had a really sharp pain in my chest and back, but I am going through a fairly tense period right now. I hope you post again if you get any answers!
well i have just started these pains as well special when iam breathing  i sit in front of the oc at least 10 hours a day.
I had similar problems as you described a few years ago. After months of trying to find the problem and thinking the pain was originating under armpit and radiating in breast doctor finally ordered MRI of my neck and found that I had a herniated disc C4-C5 and C5-C6. After undergoing PT problem resolved itself.
I have been having the same problem. It started with terrible pains in the breast about 3 months ago, going through my right shoulder and arms. I felt a hardening in my right breast, went to the clinic and they said it was probably just dense tissue. However, the pain is there. The shoulder pain is the worst. I cant seem to sit, lie down or anything. The pain goes through my armpit and arm.
My GP has recommended physiotherapy after an examination saying that I probably damaged some tissues. I hope it resolves the problems. May be Physiotherapy helps.
Thank you all for your comments.  I have been suffering with the same symptoms off and on for a couple of months. I do have a history of C5, C6 mild degenerative disc disease and spent 2 years going for physio.  I have not gone for about a year now. I have been having breast sensations as well as underarm pinching and a feeling of fullness (more at the upper part of the underarm). Lymph nodes are fine.  I was trying to take the time to let this sort itself out but am now thinking that I may need to try physio again since the burning and discomfort are very annoying.  Does the underam feeling that I describe sound like what you've had?  Has it gone away with physio?
I've posted this before but will do so again in hopes someone can help!!  This past spring my husband decided to turn our king-size mattress...well he let go of it and it hit me and threw me across the room....I hit my back and head on a night stand....14 stitches in my head.  A couple of months later, I was visiting my sister's new home and didn't see the step that separates the living-room from the dining-room and went flying across the room and finally landed chest high on the leather couch...black and blue marks across left chest wall for a couple of weeks.  That November I caught the flu and spent 2 weeks sleeping in an upright position either on the couch or in bed.  During that period of time developed a burning sensation in my left shoulder area.  When I woke in the morning the burning would start and then felt like it moved down my side and across my rib cage (left side).  This came and went.  The last couple of weeks it has returned and this burning has settled into the lower portion of my left shoulder blade.  Feels like bone on bone when I flex and lots of popping sounds in my shoulder and spine.  If I bring my left elbow up against my side and try to bring it back, it causes this pain in the lower portion of my should blade.  Also if I lift my chin and bring my shoulders back I feel the same pain.  I've been having right shoulder problems and have been using my left arm more than my right (I am right handed, naturally) and I spend at least 5-6 hours a day at the computer.
I have also had the ache in the breast and burning under the arm and up into my lower shoulder area, It started last may and continued for 2 months, then i started to swim everyday and within 2 weeks the pain was gone but short lived, a month later the pain was back and i am struggling with it now.
I have had back x-rays, unltrasounds, mamograms, all with negative results. This has effected my life, i can no longer play or lift my grandkids, i snap at my family because i am in constant pain.
I am 42 years old and have a lot of living still left to do so I hope I will find the right Doctor soon to help my pain or even get down to the cause and cure me.
I hope everyone here has luck in finding the cause your pain and let us know.
I have the same pain that started out going through the left side of my chest and radiates down my left arm.  Sometimes my whole arm feel so painful like dull aching pain all the way down to my hand.  I have had this for over 2 years.  I asked a neurologist and he said that he doesn't know what it is but is a common complaint among new mothers and people that have a lot of anxiety.  I wish I could get to the bottom of this because I'm really getting sick of living like this.  Has anyone had any luck healing themselves from this?
Yep All symptoms i have as well. dull ache in left shulder and moves in to left breast, have been worrying myself sick about it. I work at a bench all day and it only started when i started this job. Im going to try and adjust my working position and see what happens. But i also suffer from anxiety which is made further worse by me worrying about the pains, so its a vicious circle. But seeing others with the same complaint has made me feel a lot better.
Everyone should check out information on myofascial trigger points. I just purchased a trigger point therapy workbook and it explains how these trigger points are the sources of so many physical problems.  It has helped me stop some migraines from progressing and has helped relieve the shoulder pain that has been bothering me.  You can find info on them at http://www.mypressureproducts.com/Users.htm and at http://www.mypressureproducts.com/Users.htm.
Hope this helps you...
Wow, what a great message board.  I have THE EXACT SAME THING as you guys.  It's so frustrating.  It all started w/ rib pain on my right side and the dr. said it was due to my bad posture at work (I work at a desk 8-9 hours daily).  I adjusted my moniter to be more ergonomical and the rib pain went away!  I was so happy- that had lasted for about 4 months STRAIT but w/in the same month I guess it moved up because now I have the same symptoms you all describe.  I feel a CONSTANT "awareness" of my right breast, sometimes it feels cold, it burns sometimes, that's where it started.  

Now it moved up to my right shoulder, right upper back, neck and arm.  It's crazy.  I have been to the chiro over 10 times in the past few months(that's how long I've had this current problem) acupuncture twice, and massage therapist 3 times.  Sometimes I feel like the massage helps but sometimes I feel it irratates the problem...some w/ the chiropractor.  I had a dr. check my lymph nodes under my arm and they were fine.  I have my womanly check up in August(dreading it, lol) but I don't feel it has any connection with anything like that.  Also my muscles in these areas are very tight despite my constant stretching and working out.  I guess I just need to keep at it.  Right now my neck and shoulder are aching/burning.  You guys are right, this is really annoying.  

But I feel that for those of us who haven't found answers, that just means we haven't found the right dr.'s.  That can make all the difference in the world.  Some are really knowledgable and others are a bunch of quacks... you really have to shop around and get referals before you go to another dr.  Or at least I do.  I don't have insurance so this is all pretty expensive.  I'm pretty depserate to find an answer though.
Oh I forgot I am 21 years old.  I just noticed this quite a range of age on here.  Interesting....
Me too!  I'm getting the exact same thing; dull pain down my left arm which sometimes seems to come from my chest.  I also have a child, who's 1 and a half, and I carry her mainly on my left side, and she also mainly lays on that arm when I breastfeed her.  When she's playing around she crawls on my chest sometimes and it absolutely kills me.  Also kills me if someone tries to massage my back on that side.  It made me scream when my husband kindly tried to do it!  I have a history of rib problems including dislocations (I have hypermobility syndrome which make my joints prone to dislocation).  I've been worried sick about what this pain down my arm can be and I'm due to have an ECG next week to rule out heart problems, although the GP doesn't think it can be this.  I'm 34 years old.  I'd be so interested to hear any outcomes or updates from the above posts or views on my symptoms.

Good luck to all,

Heather.
Well, I haven't been at my old desk job for about 2 weeks now.  I will be starting a new restaurant soon which will require me to be on my feet all day, but I think that may be a lot better than sitting for 9 hours a day!  We'll see... but a big part of me tells me that my horrible posture has lead to this injury-- nothing sudden like a car wreck, but more like a "repetitve injury".  Just sitting the same horrible way one day too many I guess!  I'm hoping that being up and moving around will help my body auto-correct itself.  I just get sort of nervous because my "womenly check up" is this month and that makes me a little nervous... even though if I think logically about this I know there shouldn't be any connections.  I just want it to go away!  I'm praying it will and stretching a lot- oh and i have one of those back massager pads that "kneads" your back.  That's helpful so I don't have to pay someone to do it or constantly bother my husband.  
Since I've started my job my ribs pretty much aren't bothering me at all anymore and it seems to be primarily my upper right back, breast, chest, and shoulder.  So much fun I can hardly contain myself!! haha Sorry for the sarcasm... I'm just ready for it to be on it's marry old way!  My husbands mom is a head nurse and is convinced it is a pinched nerve or more in general a skeletal/muscular thing.  Which was what the dr. had originally said about my rib pain-- before it started migrating north!
Anyway, stay in touch, I'd like to hear more everyone's progress!
Love, Nicole
I found this board when I typed, "pain under arm radiating to breast.....". I was in a car accident years ago, leaving several discs compressed/herniated but I have been going to the chiro for years. I have a lump, supposedly in the "lymph" area and it has come and gone for years but yesterday, during a self breast exam, I found the lump again and gave it a little push. OMG. The pain lanced right to my nipple. I know my back needs adjusting again, my left arm and left leg have been tingling for weeks but how would this be connected? It's the first time there has been pain and now, more than 36 hours. PS...... Yes, I spend LOTS of time at the computer, too!
Just found this sight, wish I could help. For over 8 years now I have had a burning, stinging pain under my left breast, a bra makes it worse. I have had MRI's and discovered focal inflammation, but no explanation. Mammagrams and ultrasounds over the years have been normal. I had lung xrays, bone scans, mri's on my back, nothing. Some suggest nerve pain, costochronditis, arthritis, no one knows and nothing really helps. It never hurts at night when I am on my back.  Some times I feel it down my arm and sometimes my muscle under my back shoulder is very tight...really is mystery...I do think anxiety plays a role in this.  I do think it is muscular/never pain of some sort. Good luck to all.
I have been suffering for the past year now a dull ache it is at tehleft side of the my neck just b4 the beginning of my spine, thee is a slight lump wen i bend my neck ova to the right and it can become very stiff wen i bend it ova to my left. I dnt no if u can help or advise me but i have been to the doctors once already and felt like i was being palmed off.. the doctor said it was a muscle which is bigger than the right muscle on the side of my neck and tht there is nothin to worry about. Can u advise me to whether i shud go bk to the doctors and c another doctor. I cnt get on at work cause i worry about it.

thank you very much!

chantelle alden
Ok, well I feel better to see some folks have the same issue I have been battling for about 4 months now. At this point I cannot even recall a specific incident where this happened. There was no real direct trauma that began the onset. I am 40 years old and very active and after training Jiu Jitsu one night I had a stiff neck and upper back. This has since been downgraded to a dull ache in my shoulder. Like another poster I am AWARE of this 24/7 the dull pain-ache is always there. I have tried massage and rest, also RICE and hot epsom baths. Today I will head to my ortho for a professional opinion.

Some of the commonalities I see are:

Constant dull pain under my shoulder blade
Minor relief with heat and massage
Trouble sleeping
40 and athletic
Working 40-60 hours a week on a computer
Anti-Inflamatories help a little

I will post again if I get any information today.

-Jay Vegas
I have been going through the same symptoms for about a month. Before I had them I had a mamo done which was normal. Prior to this, I started taking calcium supplements because I have IBS. I asked the Dr. could it be a result of too much calcium. He said that shouldn't be the problem. (Although I have read too much calcium can cause problems with the body :P)  I've had a chest xray and left rib xray. Showed as normal with mild scoliosis. Now he is ordering bloodwork. If that is normal he is sending me to a specialist. Sigh.. Muscle relaxers n naproxen don't help. The only thing that seems to work for me is Darvocet.  I am a sahm that spends a lot of time online also.  What really bothers me is if anyone even lightly brushes up against the area in pain it is like severe sun burn. Drives me nuts. There is no rash,bruising or bumps of any kind on the skins surface. I am hoping there is an answer soon.
I was in a bad truck accident in april. I went to sleep coming home from work and flipped my truck several times at 60 miles an hour then slammed into a rock cliff. My face was fractured in four different places and my jaw was fractured also. The doctors just did an mri of my head and that was it. I had to be med flighted and wasn't at the hospital for long before being released? Something didnt add up i was really screwed up. Now after about six months under my shoulder blade i am having severe pain and a popping and crunching sound, then  directly straight across into my chest then the pain shoots straight up my neck, of course which makes every day living and movement painful? What do i do and what is the most likely injury i have?
I have been going through the same thing now for about 3 months (on my left side) and I kept attributing it to something else and finally went to the Dr today because my niece's husband's aunt was having some similar problems which turned out to be heart related.  My doctor said there was not an issue with my heart but a pectoral muscle that has been injured from either lifting heavy objects, carring a heavy purse or bag on my left side.  He gave me exercises to do to stretch the muscles and a muscle relaxer.  I am always checking up behind my doctors by going to the internet to see if I can find answers and I found this site... It has been a great help and I know I am not alone.

Good Luck to everyone!!!
Hi so interesting to read all the comments, I too have a problem well the same as some of you in the right side, I have had thermal imaging and mamogramm, seen the doctors nothing shows abnormal. But it all started with some broken blood vessels in the right breast, I am 51 and thought that it was due to hormone changes. Apart from that I do hours at the computer and sit in strange places as I have a laptop and travel a lot. Well the dull ache in the right breast, under the arm and down the right arm, back of ribs etc. The only thing I have seen on  the alternative testing I have had  (bio resonance feedback). is blocked lymph and connective tissue stress coupled with high electromagnetic stress levels on the body.

I am sorting out my lifestyle first, taking time out from the computer, limiting the use. For the body I am going to do a juice only diet for a period of up to 100 days, take a long break where I can do lots of alternative therapies, yoga etc and re evaluate how I want to live my life. This to me is obvious that I am not in balance and need to take radical steps for the responcibility for my health! So a wake up call if you like.

If anyone else is doing something like this I would be interested to know how they get on - cheers
i woke up a few weeks ago with dull pain in my left breast, and its never gone away. i do feel some tightness in my upper back between the shoulder blades no other sypmtoms that i can pin point no lumps, sometimes pain under arm and into left shoulder. i have an ekg scheduled for tomorrow, the pain is very mild its more annoying than painful, i am 52 and work in an office on computers and on the phone a lot. but nothing makes this go away not excersing or laying down or standing or stretching. tylenol or asprin has no effect. i just wish it would go away.
I put in all the key words and came up with this site....what a relief!!!   I have been suffering these symptoms for over a year now and it has been so scary as I keep fearing the worst.  I can't even stand to go to the doctor in case he confirms the worst.  I have a dull ache, which you can hardly even call a pain. More of a dull aching tingle sensation which moves from the underam to behind my shoulder blade and down my arm (as I write this I am aware of a tingle in my left hand). I especially notice it at night and my mind seems to dwell on it constantly.  I have noticed some common factors from the messages and those are 1.  I have always suffered from fairly poor posture.  2.  I work at a computer for most of the working day.  3. I am mum to a heavy 2 year old daughter, who I probably carry around more than I need to. 4. I am prone to feeling anxious about work, normal daily stuff etc.     This site has reassured me that the diagnosis may not be as bad as I thought.  If I knew I was otherwise healthy then I would almost be happy to put up with it, but it's the not knowing that is gnawing away at me.  I'm thinking of trying yoga therapy - stretching and relaxation techniques (plus letting my 2 year old walk more) may do the trick...fingers crossed.
Wow, so many people suffering with this.  I have constant upper left shoulder pain which occassionally radiates to left breast.  I am a stressed out mother of a 15 month old who spends a lot of time at the computer.  When I first had this pain - 2 years ago, my doctor referred me to a specialist who said it was probably muscular and prescribed PT.  It helped for a while but I stopped going for a while.  I am convinced poor posture is largely responsible.  I didn't have this pain at all while out on maternity leave for 6 months.  Of course, I am always worried that it is something more serious but it sounds like this is not atypical.  Maybe I just need to quit my job!  
I skimmed over what a bunch of you were talking about.  I have a similar issue, however mine encompasses my entire right side, including leg, hip, abd, breast, chest, shoulder, arm, and right back.   I was recently diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy.  However, of interest, my main doctor at the Mayo Clinic recommended seeing a NUCCA chiropractor.  They are quite different from a traditional chiropractor, in that they take x-rays of the cervical spine and look for subluxations, (basically, wrong angles, twists, bends, etc), and then thier manipulations are very gentle.  At any rate, for anyone with shoullder, neck, arm, etc, I would recommend taking a look at their website.  www.nucca.org  I have been going for about 5 weeks and although it is a progressive process, I know it is doing something.  Just a thought I thought might be helpful.
Just a few weeks ago I woke up with a pain in my left arm pit. I did a self exam but felt no swelling in my lymphs. Over time the pain began to radiate to my left nipple. It was a burning pain like a burn under the skin, uncomfortable to the touch. I had a slight weak feeling in my left arm as well, but it did not lessen my strength. I went to the Dr and he did a physical and found no swelling to my lympths or breast. He did an EKG which also came back good.  Tonight the pain moved to my rear shoulder blade and became so intense that I had to get out of bed and sit down. Sitting has relieved some of the pain but now it feels numbish. The pain comes and goes though, not always here but when it comes, nothing helps it, no OTC medications and neither do strong perscription pain medications. The other nice part about these pains are the terrible panic attacks that started since the pain progressed to this point. At times the pain or weakness runs down to my left leg as well. If any one has any similar pains please leave a comment, this is getting quite annoying to say the least. My Dr thinks there's nothing wrong and since the pain moves so often, it's hard to convince someone it's real. Thanks for sharing your stories, it has helped in relaxing me a little at least.
finding this site has settled my nerves and wondering thoughts. i too have the shoulder pain on my left side with the burning sensation which runs to my left breast and back to my shoulder blade. ive had xrays and ultrasounds which came back clear, been to physioterapists which seemed to help but going so often gets quite expensive. im seeing a specialist in 2 weeks (which is frustrating because i have to wait even longer with this irritating pain). the aches almost bring me to tears and im over complaining to my fiance and getting him to massage the area for me as often as he can.he too is over it im sure! hehe. im 24, no children and am a kindergarten teacher which im on my feet all day. the physio suggests it from bad posture which i think i tend to slouch a bit but there has to be some other explanation and even more a way to fix it......its been a year too long and it just doesnt seem to be getting better.
Have any of you tried "Bowen Treatments in your area's.  Go to Bowtech.com to find out where there may be a practitioner close to you.  I have great faith in these treatments.  Non-invasive, gentle and aims to bring the body back into balance.    I am sure that you will experience relief from this and other issues that may be going on...Debbie
OK, so I guess I'm not alone here.  I Googled "dull, burning pain in arm and shoulder."  This is what came up.  I've had intermittent right shoulder pain for several months now that occasionally radiated into my arm and right breast.  I've always figured I slept wrong but it keeps coming back.  Three days ago I woke up with my underarm hurting so badly I couldn't put on deodorant.  It doesn't hurt as badly under my arm now, but there's a dull, hot ache through my entire shoulder, arm and down into my hand.  I also have pain in my right breast. The right side of my neck hurts and I'm not sure it's related, but it feels like I've bruised my leg just above my right knee, but there's nothing there.  I'm 30 years old and have a 14 month old that insists on being carried most of the day.  So glad to see so many others have the same symptoms, now if someone can get some answers!
I too am relieved to hear that others have had these symptoms and have checked out "okay", in the sense that your worst fears for heart conditions or breast disease have not materialized.

I am a working mom who sits at a computer 8-9 hours a day. I abuse my left shoulder by carrying my two year old and all of my bags solely on this shoulder. The pain radiates from left breast to left shoulder and sometimes down the arm. Sometimes a twinge under the arm pit and in the hand/palm. It coincidentally started about 4 weeks ago when my computer configuration changed. My monitor is now on a stand about 6 inches higher than previous and my keyboard is now on top of the desk, when it was previously on a shelf under the desk. I'm going to fix these issues right now!

Question: Does anyone have visible veins on their cheast and breast? I am a "veiny" person everywhere, but noticed that the vein from left shoulder to breast is fairly prominent these days. The right one isn't, but both can be at times.
What a relief to hear from all of you - well, mind-relieving anyway. Though I have been suffering for 8+ months with left shoulder pain, I still have no resolution   I saw a Phys Therapist once and got a diagnosis of bicep tendinitis - can't afford phys ther at $130 a visit 3x/wk. But I am hopeful that trigger point therapy will help some. I can tell some difference when my husband will actually do it for me. I found a really helpful sight where you can get a trigger-point map. I have seen a couple of pain paths that look like what ya'll are describing. It might help to look at these and assess it yourself - http://www.round-earth.com/ShoulderPainIntro.html

Also, felt some relief when I went to an atlas-orthogonol chiropractor. There's the $$ thing again preventing me from continuing on. My next attempt will be to try to get my husband to make a one-time investment in a home ultrasound machine (I found one for $179). It is supposed to be good for inflammation and soft-tissue healing. We'll see.

I'll be looking for more answers. Please keep writing.
Hi everyone,

I'm a 29 y.o. woman, no children, with a job that requires all-day computer work and I've been experiencing the same symptoms as you all - left shoulder, chest, underarm and breast pain, sometimes radiating into my arm.  I've had an ultrasound for breast cancer - all clear.  

I've recently started visiting a physio about it and discovered that I had a number of unaligned vertebrae in my neck as well as very tensed-up muscles in my back as a result of holding myself taut to restrict movement against the pain.  

One bit of advice that the physio gave me which seems to have helped a lot is regarding my posture (similar to Angel_a) - she said that as soon as I start feeling the pain I should roll my shoulders backwards and force myself to sit up straighter and ensure my head is sitting 'straight' on my shoulders.  

I was sceptical as it sounded too simple (plus I was worried about increasing the pain), but it has made a huge difference for me, and I've started being more aware of my posture overall to the point that the pain has gone - I have not had breast, chest or underarm pain for about a month now.  

She has given me other exercises to do regularly as well - the one that seems to work the best is squeezing the shoulder blades together intermittently as if you're trying to hold an orange between them.  This can initially be a bit painful and kind of tiring, but really helps release the muscles that are tensing up and contributing to this pain.

Hope this is helpful to someone - I will update if I learn more, I know how scary, frustrating and obstructive this pain can be.
hi I have had mine for 22 years now.... I was 11 yrs old, it is a burning sensation well annoying niggly feeling a little like pins and needles(numb)...some nights I cry with it it has spread from shoulder round to left breast and underneath breast down my arm.... I also work on a computer all day.

When I am stressed it comes on hardcore.... i have tests etc when i was young they put it down to growing pains.... winter its worse too, I really hate it, also when i had my daughter 4 yrs ago I couldnt even move my arm for 5 days the pain was soooo bad... I still have problems lifting items above head level using my left arm..... the sensation is with me 24/7 never goes......
I was just wondering if anyone had fatigue with all these other symptoms that are mentioned?
I am having almost the identical symptoms as many of you.  In February during a trip to Las Vegas I noticed small blisters in my right arm pit, like sort of a rash. No big deal, and this cleared up, but for about two months, left my skin in my arm pit felt like "sensitive"  (best as I can describe it) which would come and go, and only noticeable sometimes and no relation to movement I would notice it when I would lift up my arm but only sometimes, once in a while I might have a twinge of ache in my shoulder blade but very mild and I really did not think anything about it then last week I noticed it gone.  I was glad.

Unfortunately and even stranger, now the symptoms have moved into my right arm and shoulder, only much worse.  The rash is small but there, started yesterday, and my shoulder, down my under arm, and back in my shoulder blade ache and throb, it was real bad this morning but eased off during the day.  I also feel aches in my right breast on and off like radiating pain.  All this is off and on and no relation to any certain activities, though it was real bad this morning I think from lying on it during the night.  

I do medical transcription and sit at a computer all day but this has never bothered me before.  I am 52 and my kids are grown so I don't pick up little kids anymore.  I don't have any new activities that could have set this off.

I just had a clear mammogram, and although I have mitral valve prolapse, I am pretty healthy.  I have felt like it might be polymyalgia rheumatica or bursitis or something like that.  Anybody have any feedback or ideas?  I am really starting to get annoyed and freaked out.

One word..."CHIROPRACTIC" people!!!
Have left shoulder pain extending to to shoulder blade, down to the elbow at times and causes tingling of my fingers. Sometimes I could only put my left arm half way, sometimes I have ti literally lift my left arm with my right. I ave pains on and off for 1 year now. Xray was negative. Was given muscle relaxants, pain meds, tried acupuncture (which helped some) Just had my MRI today finally. I am just tired of the pains, hard to pronate or supnate. I hope I get answers soon. I even thought I was having MI,or bresst CA.I have MVP and HTN, controlled by meds.
I have had the same pain and my doctor diagnosed me with a condition that has something to do with the cartilige (? spelling) that connects the breast bone to the rib cage and the shoulder to the rib cage. I am trying to find the term for the condition, it starts with a c I will find it and post again
the condition is called chrondolysis the definition is basically destruction of the cartilage and it is most commonly noticed in the breast bone, but can destroy any of the cartilage in the body. The definition I read says it often mimicks a heart attack at onset. I found info by googling breast bone pain
Seems I'm not alone.

Pain has been present for about six weeks. Started innocently with neck fatigue and developed in chest, shoulder and tringling of left arm to the tip of my index finger. EMG and MRI proved negative.ER visit and overnight ruled out heart condition. Spent four sessions with accupuncturist while medical appointments and system run their course  with minimal benefit. Tomorrow I finally have my appointment it the orthopedic. My only fear is to hear the medical establishment will  tell me to " live with it"
I'm encouraged reading that some have benefitted from physical therapy. This pain is driving me insane.
The only relief is popping prepoxyphene which lasts me 5 hours.

I'll keep you posted on progress or lack thereof.
Hi i am a 28 year old man from Manchester England and i was recently in a motorcycle accident. I was told i had been very lucky to not sustain any more injuries than i did at the time (heavy bruising & ground layers of skin from my knee cap). The bike landed on the right side of my body in the accident and 3 weeks later i have started to get burning pains in my right shoulder blade and under my arm-pit which feels like a skin burn as apposed to a burning under the surface of my skin. I ran up the stairs to attend to my son a few days ago and felt the pain worse than ever, as of yet. The doc has said that it could just be tissue damage but i get the feeling that they think i may be exagerating as i am currently going through a claims case for the accident.
I am a very active person and this is holding me back immensely, not to mention being restriced to what i can and cannot do with my children...and to top it all i am booked to go on a family holiday in 2 weeks time.
When i get the burning pain it only lasts for a few seconds but it is enough to make me jump, as if somebody has just placed a red hot hand on my shoulder, and afterwards i can feel an aching pain where the burning was.
I also get a sharp shooting pain down my right side all the way down to my knee which comes and goes un-predictably, but is nothing in comparison to the burning feeling i am getting in my shoulder.
It worries me that a lot of the above posts say this has been on-going for "years" and i hope that is not the case as far as my injury is concerened. I will shortly be going to see my doc again but feel like i need a specialist opinion as they dont seem to be taking me serious.
I will post an update as and when i get more news and in the mean time i hope everyone on here gets the answers they are looking for.
All Of this sounds like nerve impingment/pinched nerve,  get an MRI or CAT scan they can check for buldging,herniated or degeneritive disk along with bone spurs and spinal narrowing which can pinch the nerves that leave your spine and go to your limbs. In some cases this can be very serious and can effect other organs ex: your bladder. I had surgery to relieve the numbness and burning and now have a motor deficit in my right arm. Be careful ask questions, get second opinions, ask about alternatives and most importantly find out all the risks for each. Please note nerve damage can irreversable from being pinched for a long period leaving you with the burn and pain,numness ect. but it can be even more permant and profound if it is cut or burned during a surgery know the risk and make sure you trust your doctor, 2nd and third opinions in this case are recomended.
Hi-  I have all the same symptoms.  It started about a month ago.  My husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer and i literally spent a couple weeks on the computer non-stop researching it and worrying all hours of the day and night.  I then began feeling a burning under right shoulder blade that travels- sometimes mid back, sometimes more shoulder- sometimes dull ache down arm and for a while had a pain and burning down side of chest under arm (kept expecting to see swelling or something but never did).  To complicate matters, I thought I was pregnant last month and was experiencing burning pain in right breast/nipple and attributed the pain to that possibility.  I have since found out I am not....I went to the Dr.'s and they said I have muscle spasms under right shoulder blade.  I have been extremely stressed.  My husband's diagnosis completely shook me up.  Fortunately, it was caught early and he was given a great prognosis.  He feels fine now and I'm left feeling awful from the stress.

Anyway, with all of the said, I saw a clear link between stress and hours spent on the computer and this condition.  I;m right handed and use mostly my right hand on the laptop.  I truly think it's muscular...though the breast thing does freak me out.

I'm going to get an ultrasound of breast anyway.  I just turned 30 and no history of BC so I hope to be fine.
Wow... I thought I was going nuts by myself! While many of you are women, it's nice to know there are a few men going through the same pain I have (but I'd rather be alone in that I'd not wish this on anyone).

That said, no one here has suggested if either ice or heat used over the C4-C5 section of the spine will reduce pain. For the record, I have 10/660 Vicodin HP for pain (for another minor ailment), and while taking one with three ibuprofens does dull the pain some, it doesn't relieve it altogether. Not to mention vicodin is very addictive, so I tend to avoid it as much as possible.

Please, if anyone knows if ice or heat helps, please let me know. I would experiment, but I fear the results - the pain is agonizing already, and I don't want to make it worse. Thanks in advance for your reply(ies).  :-)
I am so relieved to have found this forum! I have been experiencing this odd pain for a few weeks and have not visited a doctor about it. The aching pain seems to travel. It started under my left arm, like a sore spot, then I could feel the ache in the side of my left breast, then the upper underside of my left arm and then on the upper part of my left breast. Sometimes I can't actually pinpoint where the ache is coming from. I occasionally feel tightness and aching in the left back side of my neck and up to the back of my head. There is an odd tingling, pulling feeling too occasionally. I am a 53 year old woman and have recently lost a lot of weight in an effort to bring down my blood pressure without meds. Did I mention that I don't like doctors? Well...I don't!  I keep thinking that if the pain gets any worse, I will have to see a doctor, but it hasn't gotten worse, it just travels.  For the past year, since the weight loss, I have felt amazingly healthy and better than I had felt in years. Although this pain is not devastating, it is more of a discomfort really, I can't stop thinking about it. I am on the computer, both at work and at home, for approximately 10-12 hours a day, and tend to rest my left elbow on the side of my desk both at home and at work. The posture comments in earlier posts interest me...that may very well be what's going on with me. I also carry a heavy handbag, almost exclusively on my left shoulder. I suffer from regular bouts of shingles on the back of my upper left thigh and from the first time I felt this shoulder ache, I have thought that the pain felt very much like the post herpetic neuralgia I get from the shingles. However, I have never had an outbreak anywhere but on my thigh. This ache definitely feels like some kind of neuralgia. A warm shower, using the massage jets, relieves it somewhat and it never bothers me while asleep. I too awake each morning thinking that this is the day it will be gone, but once I get up and start moving, there it is, in the same general location. I see that so many of you have been subjected to repeated testing and meds and modalities of therapy to no avail. I would much prefer some kind of homeopathic/natural remedy so if any of you have tried anything along those lines that has worked, please let me know. In the meantime, I hope the best for all of us in finding out the root cause of our unusual, but very similar, symptoms. Blessings!
Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences about pain in the shoulder and numbness/burning.  So many of your stories are similar to what I am experiencing.  My car accident in January has certainly worsened my already frustrating and excruciating pain.  Last night I was at that place where I just wanted to make it go away!!!!  
I've been seeing a chiropractor since the accident and had an MRI, but to no avail as for explanation.  My next step is the accupuncturist!  He helped my boyfriend get rid of his arm pain which prevented him from even lifting a cup of coffee.  Now, he can work like he used to without feeling like a weak old man.  I am happy to have found this site and will keep you posted on how the accupunture treatment goes.  I am a Feng Shui consultant and am going to be pursuing Naturopathic remedies going forward.  There has to be an explanation for what we are all experiencing.
Blessings, Light, and Laughter
I have been dealing with many of the above symptoms for a week or so now. It is very scary. I could not figure out what was going on since the symptoms are very real but mysterious. Since this has been recent I have racked my brain to figure out what happened and what I might have done. Your comments have helped my understand enough that I think I know what caused mine. I am close to 50 years old and do a yoga class only on Fridays. I got myself into a position that required balancing on my right arm extended and stacking my feet outstretched. I am small boned and have very little upper body strength and I believe I pushed myself too hard and pulled or ripped something in my back trying to compensate for lack of arm strenght in the yoga position.

Fortunately I believe I have found something that is helping tremendously. I have just started doing it and I am feeling a little better each day now. It is called the MA ROLLER.  It is a deep tissue SELF MASSAGER. It is a funny shaped wooden roller thing. You can google MA Roller and go to the original site that sells the ones made of Rock Maple - a really hard wood. They cost about $35. My husband got this thing in California many years ago. I decided to look it up and get the full instructions on how to use it and am discovering much. You start out slow because it finds all your trouble spots and then you keep building up to more time with it. It is painful in the way that deep tissue massage is but it seems to adjust your spine, muscles and nerves or tendons back to the positions that are meant to be. I love the simplicity, non invasiveness and holistic nature of it - it makes sense.

Hope this helps someone else because I can see that some here have been suffering for a long time.

love and light,
Candace
Boy, what a relief to know that I am not crazy that so many others suffer from the same problems as I do. I am starting to think my problem is a pinched nerve. I have had a mammogram done which is ok so that ruled that out which I was very relieved being a woman. Here are my symptoms and concerns. Burning left side of my left breast into underarm into my arm also going into shoulder blade. It is most of the time constant burning. Has anyone ever experience this though- it will be what I just mentioned but every now and then 5 episodes for me in 2 months something will trigger a nerve I suppose and the burning pain will go into my right breast my right underarm and back to where my entire chest ribcage and back is burning. I literally feel on fire, I usually lay down with cool compresses, try to relax and usually it will go away. And then its back to just my left side, where I know the problem really is. But its really scary, something triggers a nerve to where it like spreads like wldfire across my entire chest and back. Anyone else experienced this?  I am going to make a appt. with my family dr. on Monday. I think I might need a MRI. Stay positive and I will give feedback. Live, Laugh, Love. Praying for all of us.
Oh my gosh I am so glad someone is going threw the same thing.  I have anxiety and I teach school.  I am a professor and I have two children.  I am only 27 yrs old and I work a lot. I am a work aholic and I do a lot of typing all day and I talk with my hands.  Wel I have always suffered with carpal tunal from cheerleading.  However on a friday I was stressed and I cam home and when I awoke I could not turn my neck.  I thhought I had just slept the wrong wa but all of the other symptoms complicated it.  I rested and went to work as usual, by the end of that week the section between my neck and shoulder was bulging. It had sweeled and I decided I could not take the pain.  the doctor gave my a anti inflammatory and some muscle relaxers however they have not helped.  He said it was my rhomboid nerve because when he did a few little checks the nerve seemed to be in tact.  I just dont know what to do at this point and the neck stiffness is gone but my should and arm feel as though they are aboutto part b the end of the day.  I can feel it under my arm pit and as long as I have mmy arm up and on my hip its a little better but just holding it lowered to my side I feel as though my arm might pop out the socket or something.  I thought it was stress and all but now I am scared and It mkaes me a really bitter person by the end of the day.  I dont want to take muscle relaxers and arthritis meds alll my life. Help!!! single mom of two college professor.
hi everyone I have a frozen shoulder which although no longer painful has set with limited movement its my right arm so for years now I have to use my left arm for when I wipe when going to the toilet this too now has limited movement and I find it hard to do at times , now my armpit feels like it has swollen also the side of my breast I went to see gp and he did breast exam said  there were no lumps and put it down to fat,  more on one side , now though it seems to be getting worse and feels more towards the back of my arm/ shoulder I'm just constantly aware of a bulging feeling under my arm and towards the back I'm scared its cancer but now thinking it might be to do with the shoulder I have bursitis in my left knee maybe its in my shoulder too in a way I hope it is as I'm so worried                
First for Moonpye2020 Arnica gell is so nice you can get it from a natural  or herbal store. It helps with the pain and is so nice.resveratrolis also found at a health food store and helps with imflamation.

I have the same symptoms as most of you here. I suffer from pain in both breasts which I was told I have Cystical Mastalgia, But I have realy bad burning pain and sensation in both shoulders and arms. My arms also are numb and tingley at times. sometimes I also feel it in my leags. My back of my arms hurt sometimes when the burning gets bad. I have been to a chiopractor, but this made the symptoms worse. He told me I have a lot of inflamation (inflammation) in my tissues but no advise as to how to treat it. I hurt all the time, but worse at night. My doctors have no idea how to help me. I am only 28 and I feel like I am so old.
hi there im having the same symtoms (symptoms) you had with your breast and burning came you please advise me if they ever figured this out for you... thanks ***@****
I have had same symptoms after a rear end collision two years ago.  You all need a MRI.  I have two bulges in my cervical spine and herniation at c5-c6.  It causes all the same symptoms.  I have been receiving cervical epidural approximately every three months.   Mine is so severe I have difficulty driving, cleaning, shopping, working, etc.  I am on medication for neuropathy in my fingers and pain medication.  The neuropathy meds work real well, but I will have episodes even on the medication.  The pain meds help to sleep, and sometimes I have 0 pain.   But, I still have not found a "cure".  I think I will have to manage the rest of my life.  Surgery can make my situation worse.  Make sure you have good doctors, and get several opinions.  Some docs will operate too fast.  And to the women.  You have to be a healthcare advocate.   I am also a medical Social Worker.  You need to write you questions down and be proactive.  They will always try to relate it to emotions in women, but you need to ask.  "why don't you do a MRI"  you will be surprised how they will treat you better.
This is amazing! I'm from Ontario Canada, 39 yrs old this yr, & I myself have been dealing with the sore, aching feeling in my shoulders for 3 yrs now, doctor hasnt been helpful really, but did send me for an xray of my neck & I also have a compressed c-5 vertabrate in my lower neck.  To add the the common factors that everyone else on here have, I had a serious motorcycle accident when I was 14yrs old, & also a serious car accident when i was 21yrs old. My personal experience started out with migraines. (never had a history of headaches whatsoever) to suddenyl being awoken in the middle of the night vomiting & in excrutiating pain. have suffered with these migraines for 2 1/2 yrs, then decided to become proactive for myself. After having the xray done, I went to a chiropractor (made an amzing difference to the strain on my shoulders & less migraines). However as we all agree, spending the $ on a chiropractor every month & a half it can get costly, & even then some days it still seems like my shoulders r stiff & constant aching. When I wake up in the mornings, I always press lightly down on my shoulder & u can hear a crackling sound by the base of my neck top of my spine, somtimes in between my shoulder blades, it sometimes releives the achingness for a brief moment.  I myself have always been an extremely physically active women, up until the past 5 yrs, I gave up regular excersising due to buying my home & putting in mega hrs using a rowtelieller doing gardens ect, alot of heavy manual labour. I cant seem to escape that annoying dull ache. I wish so desperately that I can solve this problem so I can become active again like I was before this.  The last few days I have tried to walk on my treadmill & eating healthier, seems to be of some help. I as well in the past few yrs have been in front of a comuputer 12hrs or more a day. & it does seems to eleviate the pain somedays a bit IF i stay AWAY from the computer..lol. anyhow Its good to know I'm not alone, & hope we can all get to the root of our problem. Oh yeah my family doctor claims that after vewing my xrays of my neck that I have arthritis in my neck (wouldnt surprise me),but now what do I do?..cant stay on muscle relaxers continuosly, damage my liver & other vital organs. Yeah and also STRESS in big time in my life owning a business & having to teenagers. so I'm sure its got alot to do with stress, cause as some of u have mentioned, when I'm stressed it seems more aching then the days that arent as stressful.  I just wish there was something I could do to get rid of that ache. I would describe it as I cant relax my shoulders, its like they are permanently in the flex position..:(...I do reccomend a chiropractor though. its made a huge difference for me. anyhow good luck everyone..:)..Sincerely Sore shoulders :)
Very interested to read of all your experiences.  I am 51, male, and about 6 weeks ago I woke up with sharp pains in the muscles at the back of my armpits (called teres major, I've since learned).  They were very tender, and the closest I can describe is it felt like there were deep-seated abscesses that were about to burst.  Over the next few days the pain subsided on the left side, while on the right the pain spread to include the chest muscle (pectoralis major).  I can understand the comments from women about breast pain - this muscle underlies the breast.  I don't recall injuring anything, and figured the problem was more likely to relate to the nerves supplying the muscles, particularly because of the way the pain centre shifted.  I find I can use the affected muscles almost normally once I get started on an activity, although there's a lot of psychological inertia to overcome!

Several months ago I had a very stiff and sore neck; x-rays showed the intervertebral discs in my neck were thinning - probably age-related.  My doctor prescribed amitryptiline, which is normally used as an antidepressant, but also for pain relief for spinal disorders.  I didn't like it much, it made me feel fuzzy-headed, but over a period of about three weeks the neck pain subsided.  Over the same period I also started doing neck exercises twice a day (http://www.thephysiotherapysite.co.uk/physiotherapy/exercise/simple-neck-exercises).  It's hard to assess whether the drug or the exercises played the bigger part in the improvement.

I now think my shoulder pain is related to the state of my cervical discs.  Somewhat naively I tried to clarify where the seat of the problem might be by checking out the nerve supply to these muscles, but as far as I can make out the nerves from C5 all the way down to T1 play a part.  I've gone back to doing the neck exercises (which I'd allowed to lapse once the neck pain disappeared), and am also doing a few push-ups every day (slowly increasing) to try and maintain some level of muscle tone.  Like many here, I spend too much time in front of the computer!  Over the last couple of weeks the pain has been subsiding again and is now at a level of only mild tenderness.  This time I'll keep up with the exercises after the pain completely goes away - assuming it does.
I switched shifts at work in January and I was very anxious about the change and couldn't sleep for 3 nights and then I seemed to pull something on day 2 in my right arm which went "numb" on the side (like I pulled a tendon) for a day and then hurt.  I saw several doctors since then and the tendon pain seems to have healed, but shortly after that started both my armpits were "vibrating".  It was very strange.  I had muscle twitches (possibly small spasms) all around my shoulder muscles and even my leg and knee (might have been anxiety there).  But as time went by, I noticed it hurting or feeling "strange" (like tight but not always "pain" in the normal sense) on my deltoids, down the side of my right arm and even some sensitivity between my thumb and index finger and at the base of the thumb.  It seemed to move around to between my shoulder and arm pit and sometimes switches which muscle group is "affected".  Worse yet by month 2, the left shoulder and arm started developing "mirror-like" symptoms (same areas not always same time).  I'm not at over 3 months and my shoulders just plain feel "weird" at times (almost like something is moving under the skin with small movements and sometimes they feel "weak" with certain movements or just have an ache.  Stress/anxiety seems to make things worse and I was having all kinds of "prickles" and burning sensations at times.  One doctor figured stress was the culprit and put me on Zoloft, but I could not sleep at all and that seemed to increase the skin sensitivity to the point where I couldn't wait to pull my shirt off.  I'm now on Lexapro instead and I can sleep again and skin sensitivity in the area is back to where it was (more than normal, but I can at least stand to wear a shirt again), but the ache/pain/weird sensations continue.  I do have small bone spurs in my shoulders, but there is no sign of an impingement (I did have one 3.5 years ago on the right side that went away with a cortisone shot).  This time I had a cortisone shot on both shoulders and it did nothing (except maybe make the muscles weaker for awhile; I could not flex my left bicep until recently).  

The shoulder orthopedic doctor still thinks the bone spurs could be the culprit and is willing to scrape them, but I'm not keen on surgery if it's not the cause and would burn a lot of sick leave.  The neurologist I just saw thinks it's bad posture (head forward, especially while on a computer; I used to spend a LOT of time on computers, but not as much in recent years) and anxiety (he prescribed the Lexapro), but I've been stretching and working on posture for over a month and I don't seem to see any improvement related to it that I can tell.  My depression is definitely getting worse.  It seems I can either keep waiting and go back to the neurologist or get these bone spurs scraped.  I had a pain in my left lower shoulder blade area (just below my upper shoulder blade with pain radiating to my scapula on the left side) for two years before this and another orthopedic surgeon and a pain doctor thought it might be a slight bulge in my C7 disc causing that problem, although the doctor said it didn't look like it was touching anything and was very slight.  The weird thing is that pain seemed to mostly disappear about the same time this started.  I was given a neck traction device to use (inflates around neck to lift neck up a bit) and that started to feel like it was "pinching" something and I then noticed I about jumped out of my skin when I touched a certain part of my neck.  I suspect my "scalene" muscles may be too tight.  I read if they're too tight they can pinch the brachial plexus nerves beneath and cause arm/shoulder pains even on both sides like I'm having and stress would make it worse.  The pain diagram on one site matched exactly where I've had all my pains (upper pectorals, the three muscles around and on top of my shoulder/upper arm and down to my thumb/index finger across tight forearm muscles).  

I also read about brachial neuritis (inflammation of brachial plexus with unknown origins that could also explain the problem, but my neurologist scoffed at both these ideas as being "too rare" to be likely (yeah I'm sure those that have had it just told themselves it was too rare to be real).  He gave me neck exercises that stretch those very scalene muscles though and thinks the pain is from my "neck" but not necessarily the C7 disc.  I don't know if something could have herniated since then and even though an MRI would cost me nothing with my insurance, they seem hesitant to order another one (I also had Bells Palsy 2 years ago, which is when one MRI was done to make sure I didn't have a tumor pushing on a vertebrae).  I wonder if that could somehow be related to all this as well.  I just ordered "Cobroxin" (pain reliever made from Cobra venom) as I'll try anything at this point.  No normal pain relievers do anything worth talking about and even Vicodin has little effect.  I'm having a really hard time dealing with this and the depression is hard to deal with.  I'm having trouble getting myself out of bed in the morning and often feel like life isn't worth living anymore.  I hope I can find answers soon.
I am amazed at everyone that has posted on here with radiating pain into shoulder and armpits that has not had and MRI.  I have known neck and back problems.  I had noticed that my neck problems had worsened and that i was having some shoulder pain and a nerve pain that would go from my arm pit (sometimes it could be really sharp) and down the back side of my arm.  it would cause my pinkie and ring finger and that side of my hand and some of my lower arm to go very numb.  i finally got to a new pain doctor down here and when i told him of these new symptoms (thankfully they were very flared up that day)  he stated that it was definatly a nerve being pinched off some place between my neck and my left arm.  That i was perfectly describing a nerve in the arm area and with the numbness and weakness he was very concerned.  I just had an MRI on my cervical spine on monday to find out what had changed since my last mri.   I have 2 very large bulging discs ( i just found this out to day)  All of the posts on here that i am reading people that have gone to the doctor and have had xrays and things....the only thing that is going to show what is pinching that nerve is and MRI.....my guess to most of the post would be a bulging disc or a bone spur....and x ray might show the bone spur but only an MRI will show disc changes and i have no idea why the doctors you are all seeing are not referring you to have one if you are having this kind of obvious nerve involvement.  I would go back in....ask to have and mri scheduled to find out what is going on in your neck/upper back
If he/she refuses...switch to a different doctor that will treat you.  You have symptoms that any decent doctor should see as potentially a major problem and that before anyone can treat the problem they need to be able to see what is going on and where the problem is coming from.  Sorry after everything i have been through the last few months over this to find that i really have something major going on and that i have been treated very poorly by many doctors and to see it happening to so many other people truly shocks me.  Are most doctors really this incompetent?  Please find someone that will take the time to take care of you and listen to you and work with you to really find out what is going on.  You deserve no less.....you are simply asking them to do their job.  If you get blown off...move on....and let them know you are moving to a different doctor.  Tell them you came in to see them for a potentially serious on going problem and that you expected it to be treated as such.  
I would consider getting referred to a pain clinic since they are more skilled at dealing with these kinds of problems than a family doc would be and will be able and willing to help you with your pain and finding out what is causing it (considering that is there job)  I really pray everyone finds the help they need.  I truly understand the pain and frustration you are having.  As someone that just found out what is going on after many painful upsetting months and finally finding a doctor that made it a point to find out the problem and is now helping control the pain (my first epidural shot was about a week ago)  and will help me find a good surgeon if and when needed it is a huge relief to be listened to for a change.  Take care of and speak up for yourself.
My husband has been complaining of shoulder pain in the left shoulder and pain around the left side of his ribs.  He went to the doctor and nothing was found with an ECG or listening to his lungs.  Last night he was in a lot of pain and decided to go to the emergency room.
It turns out he has blood clots in his lungs.  They have him on heparin and will be admitting him for a few days.  I would recommend not leaving this pain alone, get it checked if you haven't already.  Best wishes for everyone's speedy recovery.
I have the same problems, I did have an accident years ago.I wanted to say that I haven't found relief in pain meds. I have found that what does take the edge off is .A hot water bottle.I use it on my neck and shoulder.I hope this helps.I will say that massage doesn't work.I am working on the insurance end and will get an MRI.
I woke up about 45 minutes ago, and after the assesment of this new and let me say, NOT WELCOME pain, I immediately went to the internet.  I  too have had a serious car accident involving whiplash and have a c5, c6 injury, in addition to a neck that curves in the opposite direction, and many recent falls due to repair work on my home.  I have had serious sciatica, numb and tingly fingers, pulled muscles in my neck, sporatic back problems, chronic neck and muscle pain, pinched nerves.....all relating to nerve damage from the discs in my neck  I've just turned 41. Having said all that, after all of these symptoms I am trying to manage, this new pain is well, new. Enough to wake me out of my sleep.  Sitting up, lying down, stretching have no effect on this pain.  As you can see, I've had so many issues with this neck injury, so for this pain to worry me, it is definately something new. I don't have the muscle pain in my breast area that so many have reported, so I'm wondering if that's next.  Thank you for all the tips and letting me know I am not alone.  It seems this particular pain is caused by injured discs.  I live on ibuprofen, but as several have stated, only stronger pain medication helps, and even then it doesn't seem to totally relieve the pain.  Chiopractic, massage, proper rest and stronger pain medication seem to be the only things to try. As I have so many other chronic conditions, I really hope this isn't here to stay.  Someone mentioned that they are aware of this relentless ache 24/7.  I can only hope that this isn't the case. Also, does anyone know if this is a nerve or a muscle problem or possibly bursitis? Thanks for listening and God Bless.
Have finally managed to get in to see a neurological specialist - long after my pain subsided (see comment, March 25)!  He confirmed I had had nerve damage from pinching in my neck, but that it had recovered - muscles that had wasted had regrown, and other nerves had re-routed to supply them, or some such.  I've continued with the neck exercises and push-ups, and a few extra morning exercises to try and maintain a basic level of fitness.  So far it seems to be working.  The neck's still a bit stiff, but no real pain.
I ended up getting the bone spurs removed from my shoulder after a 2nd cortisone shot seemed to help.  It's now two months later since the surgery and nearly all my shoulder pain is gone (just a tad of stiffness from the surgery at the extremes of stretching).  I do think tight neck muscles may have resulted from cringing from the shoulder pain from the spurs which may have caused my other weird symptoms down my arms, etc. and it may have also set off a bit of neuropathy or something in my immune system.  

I now have sciatic type pain in my legs (started a month before the surgery when I started recording music for long hours on the weekend).  I'm getting an MRI of my lumbar spine for that on Monday.  The doc thinks it may be piriformis syndrome, but I'm not responding to the stretches, etc. very well (they help somewhat, but it doesn't go away) yet there is no indication of a problem in my X-Ray (hence the MRI next) to indicate my spine nor does it make much sense that putting too much pressure on my rear end would cause a disc to herniate or bulge, although an unergonomic setup might cause a bulge over time according to the physical therapist I saw since I was leaning forward and to the side a lot.  In any case, this has been one bizarre year from shoulder pains to now leg/hip/butt pain.  Even the heels of my feet are aching half the time now so something seems to have irritated the sciatic nerve, yet I get no numbness or tingling, just pressure sensitivity on my thighs and cramps in my calfs and pain in my heels (stretching the Achilles tendons has gotten rid of most of the calf cramps, though and orthotiic inserts seem to help with the heels (but now make the arch hurt since my flat feet prefer staying flat).  I don't get shooting pains either, which sounds somewhat un-sciatic like, but I guess the symptoms can vary a lot.  I've been using an inversion table since April (long before the sciatic problems started to help with my neck) and it doesn't seem to fix this either.  Hamstring and Achilles stretches affect it more than anything (the piriformis stretch does little), but it seems like treating the symptom rather than the problem since it doesn't go away completely and comes back.  

Between both problems over the year I'm starting to wonder about possible neuropathic effects related to my immune system.  Many of these symptoms sound similar to polymyalgia rheumatica, which would explain/encompass nearly all the problem areas, although I'm pretty young for that sort of thing from what I read and it doesn't go away in the day or get worse at night and disappearing from one end and going to the other doesn't sound like the symptom list, but it is an auto-immune neuropathy, so who knows.  It also tends to go away on its own so it might explain why the worst symptoms (extreme touch sensitivity, etc.)  with my shoulder disappeared long before the surgery but still lasted nearly 6 months and why my thighs are now sensitive to touch as well, but without shooting pains or tingling/numbness.  My doctor says she's stumped with the inconsistent symptoms and we're both hoping this MRI either shows something or rules out something.  

I hate weird health problems.  I had an eye pain for 2.5 years that turned out to be hypersensitivity caused by sinus pressure, but because there was no infection, the 12 (yes 12!) doctors missed it for that period of time until an allergy doctor finally figured it out of all people so not all doctors know everything and they can easily miss things or have a hard time diagnosing unusual symptoms.  The hypersensitivity there may also explain some of my hypersensitivity with my shoulder on the skin level despite the problem being deeper.  
Glad I found this site as I have just stated to develop shoulder and breast discomfort and immediately thought the worst.  I do spend a lot of time on my computer at home, the only proper office equipment is the computer desk, found out that my mouse was too far away so all that stretching was not good.  Mouse only been moved today, going to doctors this week to have it checked out.
hey does anyone have associated with this "shoulder stuff" a VERY sensitive little boney point on the upper side of the outside of the elbow that is super sensitive along with the CONSTANT aching?  This is my reality.  Outside deltoid aches all the time...worse when sitting.  Chiropractor helped briefly.  i must admit only went once.  dumb me probably.  Afraid his diagnosis is correct, possible disk bulge.  Worse in cold weather.
I had the pain you describe for seven years. After my insurance quit covering my chiropractic care, my chiropractor suggested I see an an orthopedic spine surgeon. They did an MRI and found that I had a herniated disc between my C6 and C7 vertebrae. I had a cervical discectomy with fusion (they used bone from my hip to replace the damaged disc that I had between my C6 and C7) and now I am pain-free! My suggestion: see an orthopedic surgeon and tell him/her what your symptoms are. He might suspect a herniated disc. Alternatively, you could have bursitis in your shoulder... My mother has that and it causes her an enormous amount of pain. Either way, I'm thinking an orthopedic surgeon could provide you some insight as to what the problem is.
After having some blood tests done (I now have pains in my legs instead of my shoulders after surgery, especially pressure sensitivity), it appears I have a major Vitamin D deficiency and I'm not sure why since I take multi-vitamins, etc., although my great grandmother had rickets so there might be some susceptibility or mal-absorption issues (or maybe I just don't get enough sun).  In any case, I'm finding numerous articles along with my doctor telling me that some of these strange pain problems I'm having might be related to the Vitamin D deficiency since some studies have shown a possible connection (others were inconclusive, however).  In fact, it sounds like very low levels of Vitamin D can even mimic fibromyalgia symptoms.  I wonder if in some cases it's the real culprit.  

I'm now taking 50,000 IU once a week for a couple of months to correct the deficiency and see if any of these pains improve.  I had the bone spurs removed from my shoulder and it seems better these days after a lot of physical therapy, but these leg pains mimic Sciatica to some degree and my MRI shows no problems in my lumbar region and I'm not responding to Piriformis stretches.  I guess I'll find out if there's a connection.  Most doctors don't do blood tests for vitamin deficiency issues so it can easily be overlooked.  On the other hand, I'm now reading an article about dangers of overdosing on Vitamin D and the possible side effects (I think I'm experiencing one already after taking my first 50,000 IU dose, namely my teeth are now very sensitive to cold drinks, so maybe 50,000 even once a week is too much....
this is weird i started having chest palpitations brought on by anxiety attacks due to smoking weed, i was also getting tingling pains around the body aswell as a dull ache that went from under my left arm to my left shoulder like you. i have also had a chest x-ray, ECG and blood tests done which was all fine however they too found i had a slight curve in my spine weirdly, i can never stop worrying about my heart now :( and i am only 17 doctors have said my heart and blood is all good and the chances of someone my age having this problem is very unlikely but i still dont believe them!
My 20 year old grandson has so many of these symptoms - left shoulder pain radiating to left hand, excrutiating at times, left chest wall pain radiating to left upper back.  He has been variously diagnosed with "chest wall pain" but most recently has seen a neurologist who has tentatively diagnosed him with "reflex sympathetic dystrophy" which causes chronic pain as a result of an autoimmune response in the body - they think.
Have you been checked for fibromyalgia? With the pressure sensitivity you describe, that's also a possibility.
its funny but i had this since about 1997 now.( left side achie / burn / underarm tension / left arm numbness etc etc and anxiety as a result of it..........and vice versa.......It comes and goes.Ive learned to weather it a bit and also alot besides.

Mine was brought on by some server anxiety attack from drug use many years ago .

I was convinced for years it was my heart / blood pressure etc etc .My doctors for years said i was fine .I now have high blood pressure or did ( it was corrected via meds and weight loss ) and yet i still have this problem and pain .....Its not heart related , i think this is stress related and i dont think its muscular , i think its nerve  / energy based.

My advice - acupuncture......i have a feeling thats where the cure is as i am sure this is energy blockage or some form of nerve disorder caused by stress and acute tension around the heart ( from fear and panic etc ) .I dont think it effects the heart so much as the muscles around it but lets get to the cause.........its stress and dissonance in the body around the heart and related to anxiety and also fear.Fear is the key......greed and  'wanting ' also effects it.

When i use computers to much its worse in me , when i get stressed its worse , when i get angry its worse.......yet my hearts fine , by blood pressures fine .......its there for stress induced nervous symtoms (symptoms) .

I should say chi kung and tai chi really help this also.....the idea this is the result of physical problems its wrong , its the result of bad energy in the body and dissonant nervous tension stemming from the mind and bad thought and the heart ( with its own bad desires and poisonous feelings and fears )

If i find a cure i will post it but my gut feeling is the only cure for me is alot of exercise , much less computer and healthy diet and meditation.

I should state that anyone smoking dope reading this has a problem as dope makes this worse !  or when the dope wears off a few days later your body then reacts.

Really the cause of this issue in all of us is very much in the heart and mind on a thinking and feeling level.

Go sit in a  field for a week and listen to mellow music and breath deeply and slowly and the pain goes away.

Sit at a pc 9 to 5 and its back........
I have many of the same symptoms some of you have; the cause is nerve impingement  at C3, C4, & C5. It is caused by Cervical Spinal Stenosis.  I had surgery, but it did NOT stop the symptoms, but supposedly slowed down the advancement of the disease.  I have impaired mobility and have to type using the keyboard; therefore, my message is short.  I suggest that you research the nerve impingement issue and come up with a game plan you can implement NOW!  Here is what I would do, if I could do it over;
1. Research the subject, you can start with this link, you will recognize the symptoms, look familiar to some? Start this link Visit (http://www.spinalstenosis.org/cervical.php).
2. See a Neurologist, more than likely he or she will prescribe an MRI with dye.
3. After you have the MRI done, ask for a copy of it.  Some labs will do it, others will send it back to the neurologist; the results will be on a CD and a page with the interpretation of the tests.
4. If you have spinal stenosis, he will refer you to a Neurosurgeon. Ask the doctor for a copy of the tests, if you do not already have one.  Make sure you always get back YOUR CD after the Doctor reviews it.  If you prefer, download the CD into your PC and burn copies.  
5. Get a second or even a third opinion; explore until you feel satisfied surgery is, or not, the only option.
Be pro-active and start NOW.  The longer you wait the more damage could happen.  Final side note, if you were injured, do not sign an insurance release until you have determined the cause of the symptoms is not because of the injury.

All of you look for information on Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, it could be the problem.
Partially due to the constant forward head & arms postures of your jobs.
Hi everyone, Me too  with the dull ache and burning sensation in my left arm. It starts at the top of the shoulder and down to the middle of the arm where sometimes it is hot. Occasionally around the shoulder, top of the arm and under the arm swells up.
I also have had neck pain for 8 years now.
When i put my arm up above my head it eases the pain for that moment.
PLEASE HEED THE ADVICE I POSTED ON APRIL 7TH.REGARDING A CERVICAL MRI, (A FEW OTHERS HAVE ALSO POSTED SIMILAR ADVICE) THE SOONER YOU TAKE ACTION, THE LESS LONG TERM DAMAGE. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED, I JUST WANT HELP YOU IDENTIFY THE SOURCE OF YOUR PAIN AND PREVENT OR MINIMIZE THE NEUROPATHY I HAVE.
====================================================.
by calebsrme, Apr 07, 2011 09:07PM
To: Most members that posted

for the past four months i have had an ache in my arm from my neck to my palm and raised veins in arm left side arm when i raise my arm with difficulty the veins are normal is it my  neck what is wrong i had myalgic encepti    20 years ago
I have this same exact same pain... it starts at the base of my neck and goes down under my left shoulder blade then radiates to the underside of my arm and armpit.  I've had it for at least 18 months.  

I have been doing accupuncture for the past few weeks.  My accupuncturist says that the pain is along the heart channel, so she treats that channel.  Its been very effective.  I also found that movement that causes me to lift and swing my arms is a great relief.  The doctor told me that I simply need to move more.

I do these moves in sequence several times a day, and it is a great help..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPfP1oRJFM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0wjScnytFk&feature=relmfu
I too have had this pain for multiple years, I would say at least 15. I too have degenerative bone disease in my neck. I went to the doctor the first time and they diagnosed it with Shingles and told me I would break out in the next few days. I never did. Although, this does come and go, I truly believe this is what it is in my circumstance, being there is something called Undertheskin shingles. Its a horrible burning sensation that starts in your shoulder blade, radiates to the band where your bra goes around to your sternum. I believe mine is stress related being Ihave been on stress medication for years due to a stress disorder. I can feel mine coming on, it only last a few days and then its gone for awhile. My twin sister has started having this same problem but hers in radiating into her breast all the way to her nipple. Shes pretty scared about it being I never had anything like that as far as the breast. She doesn't have the shoulder pain, hers started under the arm and into the breast. I just pray shes okay.
I have had same problems and they got worse last year after car accident. Done all the doctor stuff too. Had mammos, MRIs, Xrays, EDG (nerve test), chiropractor, pain management, physical therapy, etc.
Latest went to spine doc who said (after 3 MRIs) it was referred pain from neck and I needed injections.
Got 2nd opinion, this doc says mostly from scoliosis, my upper back doesn't bend much at all and the muscles are spasming trying to stabilize the curvature. I am 62, several medical professionals have mentioned I have scoliosis but never did anything about it. I was told it was mild and now they say moderate to severe, I sorta tilt to the left.
I am angry that no one ever said I needed to do anything about the scoliosis after all these years.
Now again in physio to try to loosen back muscles, just finished 4th treatment today. After exercise I had the worst burning in my shoulder, arm, back, neck. Told her it felt like acid indigestion in my shoulder!
She pushed on shoulder muscle and it got worse, said that means it is muscle pain. I felt the chest burning was asthma, used inhaler and got some relief. Phsyio therapist had me lay down on hot pad and wrapped another around my shoulder for 10 minutes. That really helped.
She told me she really feels it is the scoliosis causing the majority of my pain because of the muscle spasms.
I will see how this goes, don't think I can take another burning pain attack like the one today but I want so much for all this to get better!
And yes, I too work on a computer all day and my posture is awful!
I've had the same problem for over a year, Neck, shoulder, arm and hands, burning nerve pain from when I went on a Vibra Train to excercise. Now if i sit too long or I'm at the computer I'm in constant pain. But I have found a cure, exercise, putting the mouse on my lap instead of raising my hand to use the mouse. Also I use MSM natural product , anti inflammatory, and also I've come across a product called Alpha Lipoic acid, which is equivalent to gabapentin but without the side affects. Wow what a difference.
Nicole
New Zealand
hi people, i have had the same burning pain on my left shoulder that goes to my left breast, it brings a lot of anxiety the doc did a physical examination and said it is mastitis. i have been on antibiotics but the burning pain is still there, i work out at the gym and i was doing aerobics with a loose sport bra and though i could have hurt my left breast. most probably. I am 39year old woman.
To the guy that keeps telling everyone to get an MRI...I had one and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary...and yet I have shoulder pain every day.  It goes back and fourth between shoulders...one day it will be the left and the next day the right and it swaps every day...it's aggrevating and I sometimes think I'm crazy!  No one can tell me why I'm in pain and yes I do sit at a desk all day but I've correct my posture I lift weights to strengthen my shoulder/back muscles...I've really had it.  I have no kids to pick up...I'm at my witts end!
I usually would experience this kind of pain that radiates from the left breast to the back, sometimes a dull feeling under my armpit and a tingling pain in my left thumb especially when the weather is getting cold. I have been taking Vitamin B12 and now I am using medicated patches, this kind --- http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=39600#nlm34071-1. I got the patches at Everything's a Dollar Store, two patches for a dollar, and these things are helping me somehow. Please ask your doctor if they can be of help also. I hope and pray for everyone!
ask your doctors about Frozen Shoulder or look it up online...I think this is what I have.  .
I've had the same pain in my neck and back of shoulder that radiates down my right arm into my hand, pinky and ring finger.  First bout was about 10 years ago around age 40!!  I had been going to the gym since college.  My first symptoms began a day after an instructor led "Body Pump" class I had been a part of for about 2 years.  It required resting a bar balanced with heavy weights on the back of the "meaty" part of the neck and doing squats.  After one of these classes, the next day, we flew to Wisconsin with my family where I vacationed for 8 days... in agony!  Sleeping, driving and flying were the worst!
When I returned home I saw a Chiropractor for the first time ever.  I rec'd adjustments for about 4 months and the symptoms disappeared.  I continued to workout and the next 7-8 years were pain-free.  Last year all the same symptoms returned but a bit worse.  Went to Chiropractor for about 4-5 months and the symptoms disappeared again.  
In June of this year, the pain came back!  This time the pain included tons of muscle spasms/twitches in my upper back (rt. side) rt. shoulder, upper and lower arm muscles, hand pain...and pain in my right breast!?  A mammogram came back good.  Returned to the Chiropractor for adjustments along with traction and deep tissue massage (which was super painful).  During these treatments, I met someone with the same symptoms.  He convinced me to try Physical Therapy with Robotic Acupressure.  After 4 treatments along with head and neck manipulation rec'd there, symptoms disappeared again...for a month  
I woke up one morning with some pain that increased throughout the day to VERY painful by that night…same areas except my breast.  Went back to PT for one treatment...I cried through it.  He recommended I get an MRI (and see a Neurosurgeon) which revealed several herniated and bulging discs, and spurs.  The neurosurgeon didn't seem too concerned that surgery was the answer and seems to think I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome causing the pain in my arm!?  I “hear” there are several ways to alleviate this.  My PT says this can be dealt with through the "right" therapy and exercises and some serious re-arranging of my life!!  I can also have surgery to correct it.  Hope this helps someone!  

I have been having a deep dull soreness under my right armpit, for the past 2 years.  I had an MRI done w/contrast and it picked up a "possible" rotator cuff tear.  Doctor #1 says he wants to repair it, Doctor #2 says the "possible" (what the heck does possible mean anyway???) tear has nothing to do with the pain i am having.  He says my pain is caused by instability and wants to tighten my shoulder.  Tighten my shoulder?  I am only 28 and want to have childeren soon, i don't feel very comfortable with doctors wanting to repair things that have "possible" tears or tighten my arm what am i a door on hinges??  i am super confused and am going to get yet another opinion.  I feel like they just want to do surgery so bad it's very scary!  They only suggestion other than surgery was physical therapy which didn't do much, but i continue the excerises at home so the arm doesn't freeze up.  It's crazy because my range of motion is excellent!  I just have this deep soreness...i guess it could be best discribed as it feels like i just did 1 million push ups with only my right arm. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I will update you on doctor #3's opinion.
For women like me who gained a little weight (around 25 lbs.) and who have pain or soreness around the armpit, shoulder, upper back and breast, try to find out if you are wearing the right size of bra. Also, using some hot and cold patches like salonpas helps ease the discomfort. Hope this helps! My prayers to all!
Hi guys,

it's truly awful to hear of the pain and suffering some of you are having to endure and the duration of the symptoms for some of you is horrifying, so I would like to tell you of my own experience in the hope that it will be of some help and hopefully lead to some much-needed relief for as many of you as possible.

I've been having a very similar, recurring problem for the last 5 months although there is no chest involvement in my symptoms.

I first became aware of a problem when I started to get spasms at the back of my right armpit (teres minor muscle) when performing really innocuous tasks like spraying deodorant and after wiping you know where.

Then I would feel pressure gradually building up at the top of my right arm(deltoid) during the morning which was a weird sensation and which I now know to be nerve involvement.

I work as a postman, so i walk 10 to 15 miles a day and carry heavy mailbags, so this was obviously making the problem worse during the course of my working day.

After 4 days of persevering and hoping the pain would ease it became unbearable and I had to go off sick from work. I went to my GP who tested all of my joints and muscles and declared that they were all fine, so just prescribed me anti-inflammatory painkillers and told me to rest my right arm and shoulder. I would rest for 4 or 5 days and then return to work feeling mostly okay.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the problem recurred 3 times(resulting in 3 bouts of absence in a 5 month period and a final warning from my employers) and each time the pain got worse and more muscles became involved up to the point where just walking to the corner shop left me in severe pain.

I was suffering severe burning, stabbing, pinching, and aching pains in my teres minor, deltoids, biceps and foreams, plus pins and needles right down my arm and a horrible aching throb just to the left of where the pulse is taken. The pain was so bad that it would wake me up at night and I don't mind admitting that at times I was close to tears with it. It also resulted in me sleeping on the sofa for 3 weeks as I could not put any weight on my right shoulder or neck without feeling terrible pressure.

At this point, what with getting nowhere with my GP( he refused me an X-ray and just kept prescribing the same pills which I'd already told him were having no effect and which I now know aren't even the right painkillers for nerve pain - antidepressant tricyclic drugs are) and after finding this thread which included some, short, sharp advice to get to a chiropractor asap, I did exactly that.

When I went to her for my first appointment( I paid for my own treatment which averaged £30 per session) I was in serious pain and discomfort which was so obvious to her that she decided to start the hands-on treatment straight away after the consultation(instead of asking me to come back at a later date.)

She was extremely professional and got stuck in straight away. It was uncomfortable at times( she knew instinctively which areas to leave alone in the early stages by my reaction to touch) but you could feel that the manipulation and massage was definitely making a difference for the better.

I left my first session feeling marginally less pain and discomfort and still walking very gingerly, but about two hours later I can honestly say that approximately 80% of the intense pain that I'd been enduring( this third recurrence had lasted 17 days and was by far the worst) had eased off much to my huge relief.

I attended another 2 sessions with the chiropractor before switching to employer-funded physiotherapy( which I'm still waiting for haha.)

I went back to work on light duties( staying in the office and not delivering mail) and have gradually been easing back into the job to the point where I will be back on full delivery when I go into work tomorrow after just 3 weeks. So here's hoping that I will respond okay.

My chiropractor and GP say that my symptoms were caused by shoulder impingement syndrome, which I am now pretty certain was a trapped or pinched axillary nerve as this nerve runs through all of the areas of the shoulder and arm where I suffered pain and discomfort and is also attached to the spinal cord at vertebrae C5 and C6 which was an extremely tender part of my neck during the chiropractic treatment.

I'm almost certain that the main cause of my problem was an RSI injury initially to my teres minor muscle escalating to a trapped or 'impinged' nerve over the following days caused by me spending far too long on a boring Sunday using  my computer mouse with my arm completely extended.

My reason for this is that thinking back, my muscle spasms and subsequent feeling of pressure(tightening) in my right arm always started on a Monday after a freakishly long internet session the previous day. So as funny and faintly ridiculous as it sounds, I'm sure that this was the root cause of all of my extreme pain( the worst I've ever experienced, far worse than a fracture) and discomfort that has blighted the last 5 months of my life.

Taking this into account, I would urge all of you to examine your daily routine with a fine toothcomb to try and discover what might be the root cause of your injury thereby hopefully eliminating the possibility of it recurring in the near future which it might otherwise do even after receiving successful treatment in the short term.

Needless to say, as I use an optical mouse, I've learnt to use it against my leg or against my stomach now with my elbow supported by the arm of the chair and have been fine and pain-free using this method.

Also whenever I get the chance I apply a bag of frozen peas(wrapped in a tea towel or cloth to prevent ice burns) to the back of my neck for 20 mins at hourly intervals supporting the frozen pea bag in place by sitting right back against an arm chair. In the hourly interval between the frozen pea trick I  also place a microwave hot water bottle against the affected area at the back of my shoulder/ armpit(be careful it's not too hot obviously) which apparently helps increase blood flow to the soft tissue by 20% and speeds up the healing process.

I still get the odd twinge of the nerve and a numb feeling in my arm especially when lifting my hand above my head( which I'm hoping my long-awaited physiotherapy or maybe a return to the chiropractor on indeed just time will cure) but apart from that I am pain-free and am able to perform perfectly well in my personal and work life. I'm also extremely relieved to have come out of the other side of that long dark tunnel that I know so many of you are still trapped in.

I sincerely hope that my post will be useful and provide hope to as many of you as possible.

I will also post links below to medical sites that I came across during my bad times and found to be very helpful in increasing my knowledge of my injury and in giving me hope.

http://www.rcsed.ac.uk/fellows/lvanrensburg/classification/nerves/axillarynerve.htm

http://chirocentre.co.uk/trapped-nerve-neck-pain-relief/?phpMyAdmin=LS5YS3fGkHHFpQLkxX1BKp8uRi1

http://ergocise.com/pains.html

Good luck to you all
Paul.
I had the same problem a few years ago.  It became severe and had an MRI done which did show lots of inflamation (inflammation) in the shoulder, so much that they diagnosed (wrongly) a torn Rotater cuff.  They did repair surgery, and found that it was not torn, but severely inflamed due to a bone spur that they were not able to see in the x-rays or MRI.  My arm got to where I could not raise it, and it had severe pain.  I would look into the shoulder more carefully.
It could me the muscular and nerve issues, are you using any meprazole family medicines? or any anti acid anti gastro medicines? because these medicines will not allow the to produce vitamin b12, which is vital for nerves and muscles, you should also check the vit b12 ratio in blood through blood test.

Good Luck
I read the story and can't help but relate. That's the story of my life, so far, doctors are not clear what is the problem. Went to 5 doctors...is really depressing.
i am 44 years old i have 5 grown kids 3 grandkids and i have been having the same pains in my left shoulder and arm i have had back surgery neck surgery i have had sugery on both hands and thumb and i have had trigger points shots i had 45 shots across my back and neck at one time this pain has been going on for 18 years it starts out in your arm then it moves to your neck and back and also your legs the doctors still dont know what it is it has got so bad the doctors have me on hydroco 10 -500mg  morphine 30mg andgabapentin 300mg im telling everyone this because i have been though all this nothing works the surgerys  the shots  or the meds. it all makes things worse so please before you have sugerys or get all the shots think about what im saying because the shots and sugery are very painfull and afterwards the pain is worse
Me too I have the same problem am tired of it, sometimes I keep it to myself am tierd of complaining about it, but I shouldn't feel these pain and dullness, this been going on over 2 years it's not normal..
This may be the longest running post I have yet seen...Doctors need to read these...could help us find a solution, although they wouldn't make as much money then right?  I am 46 and have been having this same problem since about 4 years ago when my husband had a leg injury and I basically became a pack mule for several months.  

I am pretty sure I injured myself (over that period of time)...I was under enormous stress and the stress continued for years (partly because my husband lost his job because of his injury).  I had already been under stress before the incident.

I believe the key factors to this type of pain are:

ongoing stress

working on computers

society's expectations that women need to do more and carry the emotional and physical burdens of others and their families

Suggested solutions:

start treating yourself like the queen that you are

start saying NO

Realize that you can't and shouldn't have to do it all!

I have decided to implement these solutions for myself, and while my pain has not gone away, I have noticed it shifting.  

I know it is hard to do these things, but for those of you who have gone from doc to doc to doc and had mri and procedures...have you tried treating yourself better?  My instincts tell me this is the solution...take time out at least once a week to give yourself peace rest and pampering.  

Humans were not phyiscally designed to live the way we are living...we are surrounded by electricity...We absorb it and the kind we are surrounded by is not healthy.

All the best to everyone who has posted!
Sherry Fontaine (***@****)
I wanted to also mention that my father was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and then later gout a few years before my problems started.  

His first diagosis was made a while after he went to the emergency room because he thought he was having a heart attack (this symptom was mentioned in earlier posts).  It was a sudden onset of symptoms.  Since then he has been treated for RA, but now just for gout.  he also has type II diabetes.  

I have sometimes experienced the same symptoms he described when his first started (right after his mother died).

I have noticed that I feel ok sometimes until I have had coffee, so I wonder if caffine is a trigger or causes dehydration, which triggers.  I have read that increasing vitamen C can help with gout.  Vitament D has been mentioned.  

As I am sitting here typing, I noticed I am pulling my shoulders up and tightening my neck muscles in the back of my neck...up to ears...I have also noticed these problems are more pronounced when I am cold and my muscles tense up...

I hope we can all put the pieces of the puzzle together...we were not meant to live this way.

Love to all,

Sherry
Oh my gosh this is AMAZING! I thought I was going crazy and I was the only one.... I am a freshman in college and I started having these chest pains/shoulder pains my junior year in high school. Its a burning annoying sensation by my shoulder blade and it seems to never go away. Im hoping just not thinking about it and FREAKING ourselves out will make it better.

Please let me know if you learn anything!
I have all of these same pains described exactly to the T. Starting on my left breast as a tingling, then onto my shoulder blade and down my left side and arm. It all started for me when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. I was put on anxiety meds and anti depressants. The anti depressants seem to have more side effects than I really care to have. I'd almost rather just be sad and feel normal otherwise. I had a nerve test done a few months before my husbands diagnosis because I was having carpal tunnel syndrome in my right arm. They tested both arms only to find I actually have it in both arms. Carpal tunnel stems from your neck and if it goes untreated can have these symptoms we all are having. Not to say everyone has carpal tunnel here, but that appears to be my issue and the nerve test showed the damage. Sometimes when I mop my kitchen floor I notice the motion really hurts under my arm pit, or if I do something like rake leaves.
--Pectoralis Major Pectoralis major is the “major muscle of the chest.” The shoulder, arm, and chest pain of this muscle suggest serious disease. In women, breast pain is feared to be due to breast cancer and patients may be sent for repeated mammograms (ironically, exposing them to additional radiation).
Tight pectorals can also cause shoulder and chest pain extending down the arm to below the elbow. In both men and women, this pattern (especially when on the left side) can be terrifyingly similar to the pain of angina and heart attack. Pectoralis major is strained or shortened by: Hunching shoulders forward, sitting or sleeping with arms crossed on chest, typing / keyboarding, sword work.--   from ROUND EARTH PUBLISHING (www.round-earth.com)

So, ladies, sit up straight! Wear good bras. Never cross your arms, quit your desk job, take some of that crap you dont need OUT of your purse, have your husbands carry your infants and QUIT fencing, too! Above all, I will try to practice what I preach and remember what the birthing coach tried to teach me when I gave birth to my now-5-year-old: BREATHE! Take minutes out for yourself to do something for YOU. You're no good to anyone if your body is all tense and literally a ball full of knots. Read if you miss it. Take a nap. Learn to waterpaint. Try writing a poem and laugh at your rediculous rhymes. Take a boating course even if you never own a boat. Whatever! Find something that works for you and do it ("as long as it's not at the computer" I say as I type!!!) Tension stress in your neck, back, arms and chest will make you miserable and the more stress you have the more stress you have in your muscles. It's taken awhile to get there and, sorry, but it will take awhile for it to go away. Taking aleve or tylenol may help you sleep but it wont get rid of the chronic bad habits we've formed to put it there in the first place. Make good choices, ladies. I'm trying to do the same. XOXOXO, -single mom with stress pain who is now dealing with the panic disorder and high blood pressure & heartrate that the stress pain caused. The more years you "live with it" or "suffer through it" without fixing it the more symptoms and traumas you will put yourself through. You all KNOW the computer is no good for you. Believe it or not, I even know now that talking on the phone with my left ear all the time has helped mess up my spine and neck too! CHANGE EARS! Weird that this is such a hard thing to do...the left ear is totally just one more habit I'm trying to change. Look at these little things and- REALLY- sit/stand up straight! This helps your back, neck, total posture. Good luck all! Take care of you.
I have the same problem, and I will explain my situation to see if something similar happened to you.  So I have lost a lot of weight, and my bra sizes have been changing.  I was wearing a 40 DD last year, but was loosing support because it was too big around.  I tried teh 38, but around was still not supportive enough.  I went to a 36 DD, and bought several.  At first it was okay, except when they adjust the band, for some dumb reason they change the cups as well.  Well the cups and placement are a little small for me on the new bras, but I wore them anyway.  Now I have not been checked, but the problem I have now ONLY began after wearing the new bras.  I started having this weird sharp buring pain in my right shoulder.  I went and got a massage and adjustment, and it only seemed worse, which to me indicated nerve problems.  I stopped wearing the new bras, but the old ones are falling apart.  So the pain eventually went away.  I put on the newer bras out of despiration, and low and behold, the pain is back.  I really notice it when I put on my deoderant in the morning, things go numb and tingly (and painful) from breast to armpit to shoulder.  How do your bras fit you?  Is it possible we have caused nerve damage from this?
hi my name is brad and i have all the same things you do im 26 and now my kid is 5 and mine started when i was 23 and i thought heart attact for some reason been to the doctor they said i was fine but my left arm hurts all the time and i dont get it and also under neth my left brest i guess you would call it im a guys lol do you still have the pain or did you get it to go away i started lift weight hopeing make it stronger would make it go away all that did was make it worse thank you a hope to hear an answer
Hi All , am male 38 have same problem since last year i have gone through all posts above but nothing much clear need to find out reason for this well i guess this linked up with Stress to some extent ....
My c4-and c5 are fusing. Anyway I went through this several years ago and cured it, now it's back. I sit at a computer all day. When this happend the first time my doc gave me muscle relaxers and pain killers and sent me to physio. They put heated pads across my chest and shoulders while lying down, and then used that machine that makes your muscles twitch. Also had to do exercises at home. It completely went away, until now. I'm trying to find the exercises again. If I wait until it gets as bad as last time I think I will commit Hari Kari. Really the exercises do work if you find the right ones. Wish I remember what they were, but I'm sure I will find them online. It took a long time to get better and doing the exercises everyday. Of course once the pain was gone I stopped doing the exercises. I think that I should have done them a few times a week just to stay painfree. Now I have to start all over again. It's like your chest and armpit muscles are shrinking and pulling everything tight, till your shoulders burn and ache and you can't even brush your hair.
This is some really scarey stuff! Whatever it is it will start in one of my knees and move around my whole body. I am 51 going hrough prementapause would all this aching  and soreness be related to the aforemention. Sometimes my chest even feels tight! Had stress test, blood work mamo, paps, gallballadder removed7 weeks ago everything normal! I take lorezopam to keep me cslm, but this dull aching in my left shoulder is horrible!!! Please Help!!!
I believe it's a combination of bad posture esp Lap top users plus some  sort of lung inflammation which could be caused by smoking , being near  smoke like a barbq or open fire  and for women  who use mineral cover make up. The small particles from the make up  go up the nose as well as on the face and cause a lot of trouble in the lungs.
Symptoms feel the same.
I damaged my neck now over 13 years ago using a Smith machine doing calf raises and incorrectly putting a huge weight on my neck and then this set off the burning sensation in my neck and shoulder (that’s the theory) and it certainly flares up if I sit at the computer where I tend to tilt my head back, even riding a push bike or motorbike where one tends to lean forward and then look up causes the burn/tingle to increase to very uncomfortable levels.  I have never found any chiropractor, bowen or even ‘slap two dead fish over you whilst chanting’ type remedies do anything.  Sure - a massage can make the area feel ok for a very short while, but the only thing I ever found that alleviates the burning/tingle is traction – the trouble is getting traction that is safe and effective as too little is a waste of time and too much – DO NOT DO IT BY YOURSELF.  I can assure you I had a severe form of traction applied to my neck and then my pain disappeared for about 3 years, its back now but not as severe and my own fault for not taking care of things.  When working on a computer, adjust the chair as high as practical and look slightly down at the screen and this will take even a slight backwards bend out of your neck and help stop or prevent the pain.  Once you start to think about your head position, it’s amazing how often one tends to tilt the head back and just getting rid of that posture can be a great help.  If you more often look down at things instead of up – and I mean even slightly, it can help.
I gather from my symptoms & all of the comments here that this pain is nerve related. So, i"ve had the left shoulder blade, shoulder down the left arm like inflamed ulna nerve in elbow & chest pain above left breast. It's so painful that pain meds & muscle relaxers don't help. Ice, heat, no relief. So I ordered some B6, B12 & B-complex to see if these help. I know B6 is good for nerves so I'm hoping something helps because after almost 2 weeks I'm very tired (lack of sleep as well) of this awful pain. I read on another site that it could be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I'm hoping my usual cortisone shots for bursitis in rt. shoulder but adding the left side will help. I see my rheumatologist in a couple of weeks. I'm 71, female & have many other health problems including polymyalgia (fibro only all over). I get diabetic neuropathy at times but never this feeling of having an arrow or bullet shot thru my left shoulder blade coming out my chest & pain down entire rt. arm. I haven't done anything to injure my back or arm. Too many chemicals  toxins in our environment & food cause problems we may not have had before too. Good luck everyone. God bless
Great post Sherry.  Along with having the same symptoms posted on this site (for about 4 months now), I too am desperate for answers and relief.  

I just went to a fabulous (Eastern medicine) physical therapist three days ago who blew me away with this diagnosis... He told me the left side of the body represents "female negative energy" (this applies to men also) which builds up stress and tension and manifests itself physically when we are constantly thinking, thinking, thinking, about things we want to do, need to do, wish we could do, but don't do.  He told me I need to start "doing."  He hit the nail on the head with that comment.  (I actually had two emotional breakdowns during the PT session.)  

The past 13 years have been extremely stressful for me, including depression and lots of anger over my life circumstances that I felt I couldn't control, or get out of, due to financial lack.  The only thing I could/can afford to do is "think."  "Think" about how to get myself out of the situation I am in.  "Think" about how to leave my current (unhappy) relationship of 13 years - with the father of my daughter, and get a place of my own for my daughter and I.  "Think" about how to make more money in order to do that.  "Think" about how all of my dreams and wishes for my life have not come to fruition.  "Think" about taking more time out for my own self care.  "Think" about the type of relationship I wish I were in, "Think" about the type of love I wish I could experience in a new relationship.  "Think" about how I can be a better mother.  "Think" about being able to make my own way in the world and not have to rely on a man to take care of me financially.  The list goes on and on.  I think you get the point.  

Anyway, the PT said I need to learn to quiet my brain (stop thinking about my "stuff") and start DOING the things I want and desire to do.  Men don't suffer (with the physical pains mentioned in these posts) as much as women do, because by nature men are more "doers" than thinkers.  We women "think" we have to do it all, and be it all.  When in fact it is impossible to be everything to everyone, all the time.  

I know my post might sound crazy to some/most, but when the PT told me I need to start doing (taking action) on the things that are holding me back, it hit me like a ton of bricks.   So if you have been to doctor after doctor, had test after test, and still don't have any "medical" answers for your symptoms and pain, then maybe my post may apply to you.   How many things are you currently "thinking" you want/need to accomplish in your life, but are not "doing" anything about?  Oh boy, just one more thing for us to "think" about.  LOL  (Hey, laughter is good for the soul and for pain relief - so feel free to laugh right now.)  
By the way, if anyone reading this lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and wants to meet for coffee to discuss this and create a plan of action for ourselves, let me know.
Jodie
Whoops, forgot to mention (in my previous post) my PT also said that rounding my shoulders and lurching my neck forward (extensive computer usage, bad posture, and weak back) creates a tension across my chest which  radiates under my arm and pulls on my back muscles.  This is where the pain and tightness in my chest, my underarm, my back and the tingling and numbness down my left arm occur.  He gave me hope that I'm not "broken" and my pain can be resolved with PT sessions, Thai (stretching) massage, less computer and texting usage, and more "doing" of my suppressed desires.  ;)   I'm open to his advice because the three trips to the emergency room, over the past year and a half, didn't bring any answers - other than a stress and anxiety diagnosis.  
Hi PlumSweetUSA,
Please let me know if the B vitamins work for you.  I have such a hard time falling asleep, with the stabbing pain in my left upper breast - through to my back. When I do manage to fall asleep I usually wake up about 4 hours later with the pain magnified even more. So unbearable. It's driving me insane.  I've had numerous deep tissue/muscle massages and can't understand why the muscles won't respond and start to relax.  
Hello Everyone:  I am 55 years old and have been dealing with all the above pain, numbness, tingling, burning and cramps for 18 years.  I have taken prednosone, neurontin, PT, massages etc and it may  go away temporary but "always" returns.  I have an autoimmune disease and not sure if it is associated with it.  The extreme fatigue from a lack of sleep is really bothersome and is effecting all aspects of my life.

I have decided to apply for disability because it effects the quality of work I produce.
I am 31, male,  I have been having lightheadedness off and on for the past 3 years and all the test have shown "normal" for every test that I have done.  This has cause me to have anxiety, due to everything showing normal but I still feel the same way.  

I have started having a dull / burning pain in the left part of my back near the left shoulder blade and backbone.  This pain seems to follow around to the front and I have the same feeling on the left side of my chest near the ribs and brestbone?   I have no clue as to what is going on and I, just like everyone else that has had this happen, are worried sick that it could be my heart, but every test is NORMAL!!!????  I work in law enforcement and have a very stressfull position in my career.   I have tried getting a massage and it seems to help that day and the day after, then the pain comes back.  The pain is not lasting all day, but comes and goes.   Please let me know if anyone else knows what this is and how to fix it.  I am trying to get an appointment at the pain clinic at the local hospital now to see if they could possibly do an MRI of my back and or neck to see...  Thanks for any help.  
Hello!
I have the same dull ache in my left area of my back around the shoulder blade, no idea what it is, I sit at a computer alot as I am a Games Design student, it feels similar to if your have a bruised area and apply pressure. Very faint and dull but at the same time very irritating and seems to come is pulses. Am going to see a doctor if it doesn't go soon, had it for around a month now.
Cheers Lawrence
I'm also only 18...
60 year old retired female:  I see this comment started in 2006 but has been added on to since - Looks like this is a very common problem. I too have unknown cause of heart attack like pain in the chest/left shoulder blade down the arm and under the arm pit; dizziness and nausea.  This has been going on for over 8 years - with just about every test doctors can think of. Even though cardiologist says the heart looks good - every time I have a severe episode  it worries me that maybe it is the heart. The neurologist  said that no pain reliever would help once the pain began so he prescribed topomax (topamax) to try to prevent the pain from beginning - but I did not like the listed side effects so I did not continue the medication. One thing that doctors did find is my stomach does not empty within normal time - gastroparesis.  Which can cause spasm resembling heart attach symptoms. So I had to change my diet to main liquids and a few solid foods that are fat free/ low fiber.  After seeing an add for free test and adjustments from a local chiropractor I decided to try that.  The xrays showed scoliosis and disc degenerate and bulge in the neck disc. I have felt much better after some adjustments - but then today while working in the yard - it scared me again because it felt like I was having a heart attack.  Seems like I can do water aerobics (low impact) but not exercise that puts me on my feet or walking. I will continue with the chiropractor for a while longer - but he will just be managing the pain as the spine will not be able to repair.  
I also have had this pain. It started one day when I was stressed at work and using a mouse for about 5 hours straight creating a spreadsheet so lots of clicking. Mine keeps moving around it started in my right arm and moves to my thoracic muscle and back muscle near shoulder blade, it then decides to move to my left side. I have always been a side sleeper and now I cannot lay on my side at all as the side with no pressure becomes unbearable. I am 36 years old and a little overweight and it is now coming up to one year. I have also had problems previously with C5 & 6. I have been to 2 x orthopedic surgeons, physio, chiro, osteo, dry needling, acupuncture and the only thing that seems to give some temporary relief is redemedial and hot stone massage. I am tired, depressed and in constant pain. The only time I have not been in pain was when I went to Vietnam for 2 weeks, my partner carried my bag everywhere and I was not driving or using a computer. I was pain free, I was even kayaking. As soon as I came home and started driving, carrying a handbag and using my computer it started. I have no hope of resolution. I had thought I had found the source under my armpit and have insisted on two ultrasounds and an xray this week but after reading this I just don't know. One of the orthopedic surgeons was a cervical specialist, he said my neck is fine and it is just muscular... I NEED HELP PLEASE. I cannot wear a bra as it make it unbearable and it is impacting my work and relationships
Am having the same problems
i thought i was alone its been all most a year now and its getting worse i.can feel the pain or tingling pins sensation
I feel pins and needle sensation in my arms mostley the left arm also at time the sharp psin in arm pit and sorness of uper arm area and top of breast
ive seen my doctor and i struggle to explsin whats going on as it changes dayley good day and bad
when its bad  it hurts just my arm on the side of my body harx to tell if its arm or breast
had bloods all normal
going for xray of back/ neck during the week
I know i may make it worse with worry and am feeling so tired with it all
I feel my doc is at the point that he rolls his eyes when i come in
at times i am convinced i feel knots uper brest / sholdet area and also get sore point if touch to the skin i jump a mile
this is affecting my marriage and work now and quality of my life
am so down about it all
i fear what if its somthing realy bad going on in my body and am getting fobed off with a scrip of vals :(
Am having the same problems
had bloods all normal
am so down about it all
I can't believe so many of us are having the same issue. Mine is my right breast, chest, shoulder, neck, forearm, wrist, hand and shoulder blade. An ultrasound and MRI did diagnose supraspinatis tendon impingement and bursitis in my shoulder. Another dr diagnosed frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel but my dr doesn't think frozen shoulder and my Physio also isn't sure what's happening. So far I've seen two specialist and I'm seeing a surgeon next week, a lot of my symptoms fit thoracic outlet syndrome, RSI and a few other things, but it's been going on for 5 months with no real answer. So glad to find you all as I started to think it was just me going crazy.
Part 1 of 4 - Hi folks - OK, I too, now have to add my voice to the song.  AS my response is a long one, to keep from falling afoul of the 8000 character limit, I’ll chop it into 4 parts.  First off, on an extremely positive note, presuming we were all afflicted with the same beast, in my experience, the pain can definitely go away completely – as it did in my case, although it’s now resurfaced 3 years later.  About 3 years ago, I had the same a burning/searing sensation that would gravitate back and forth between just above my left shoulder blade and my upper left pectoral muscle.  I’ve never been stabbed with a knife (thankfully) but that’s what it felt like (or at least what I imagine it would feel like to be stabbed with a knife in that area) – like someone had just stuck me with a knife in both places.  The pain went on for more than a year.  I developed great sympathy and respect for people who suffer with long-term chronic physical pain – it’s a real downer and can really sour your perspective on life (even if you’re a naturally upbeat person – which I tend to be).  The pain, over the course of a year, became more and more intense – going from the dull burning/searing sensation to a sharp and sudden knifelike pain.  At its worst, it became downright freakish – I’d be walking down the street and – all of a sudden – wham – I’d get hit with a spasm in my left pectoral, arm and wrist that would build in intensity for a good 1 to 2 minutes, almost knocking me off my feet and contorting my entire left arm.  At one point, I was in a job interview, which I had thoroughly nailed – only to get hit with one of these spasms during the last minute of the interview.  I must have seemed like Jekyll and Hyde to the interviewer – and sufficiently freaked him out – cuz I didn’t get that job.
Part 2 of 4 - It was at that point that I knew it was time for me to see a doctor.  I first saw my GP who said it sounded like a pinched nerve – he directed me to a neurologist – who took x-rays and an MRI – nothing showed any discernible causes but he offered to give me a steroid injection in my neck to help ease the pain – which, as mentioned, was getting more and more intense – but I politely declined this generous offer (I wasn’t going to let anyone stick a needle (let alone a steroid) in my neck).  The neurologist told me that, in lieu of the steroid injection, he would refer me to a physiotherapist.  This chap (an ex-boxer) was great. He told me straight up that he wouldn’t be able to diagnose the precise cause of the problem but told me that, in his view as well, it seemed like a pinched nerve.  He gave me a whole bunch of exercises – designed to ease the tension (and the resulting pressure on the nerves and muscles) in my neck, shoulders and upper back.  Several months into these stretching routines, the pain seemed to be easing up ever so slightly (but would typically, and very dishearteningly, suddenly return with a vengeance). The physiotherapist referred me to an osteopath – a very tall Hungarian chap who assured me he could cure the problem by cracking my back once every two weeks for a couple of months.  After not feeling a damn bit of difference after the 4th back-cracking, I gave up on this chap – and thought I’d give acupuncture a try.  The first acupuncturist I tried seemed a bit rubbish – so I switched to another one who was highly recommended.  She stuck a few pins in me and gave me some tree-bark-like powder to eat like cinnamon once a day.  After 4 appointments with her, I was about to strike her from the list as well – when the most remarkable thing happened – the pain went away completely.
Part 3 of 4 - To this day, I have no idea which method of exorcism did the trick because, at the same time I was seeing the 2nd acupuncturist, I was also (a) doing the neck/shoulder/upper-back stretching exercises the physio had given me; (b) doing lots of push-ups (which always seemed to help alleviate the pain); (c) doing yoga (on my own); (d) doing tai-chi (on my own); and (e) like one of the previous posters (eager to try anything at all to help cure the cause rather than merely help alleviate the pain on a short-term basis), I picked up a book on trigger-point therapy – a little known form of physio designed to cure myofascial pain (essentially pain deriving from muscles that have become knotted) – this was an eye-opening and  life-changing experience for me – the various brief (approx 1 to 2 minute) trigger point massages (I gave myself)  2 or 3 times a day – seemed to be helping solve the problem (but definitely not solving the problem altogether on their own) – although, remarkably, at the same time, simple, self-given trigger-point massages completely cured another similar issue I had had (for about 20 years) with tightness and a dull ache in my knees and hips (which started when I was in my mid 20s (after running track (the mile) and cross-country in college) – a problem no one, and I mean no one, doctors and physios alike, was able to properly diagnose over a 20 year period of time – and the complete cure came down to an extremely simple massage tool – a marble ball that I rolled over the narrow sliver of muscle just next to the hip for about a minute once a day over a 2-week period – and then – once every couple of weeks or so or whenever the tightness returned). But back to the left shoulder blade/pectoral pain – another thing I did at the time, again, eager to try everything possible to fight off the beast, was to pick up a mini, hand-held gyro-ball (kind of like a yo-yo that you activate by pulling a string) that I would rotate with my left hand and wrist – the gyro-ball builds in intensity with centripetal force and thereby loosens and stretches the muscles in your wrist and forearm.  This little thing was fantastic and I have no doubt it did its part in helping to solve the problem (apparently, it’s meant to be great for such afflictions as carpal tunnel). What I surmised from all of the above was that the issue (a pinched nerve, a knotted muscle, whatever it actually was) seemed to be coming from various parts in my body which were all connected – what I needed to do was properly stretch and loosen my neck, shoulders and upper back – as well as my forearms and wrists – because all of the nerves and muscles in these areas were partially connected – and a knotted muscle in one place would wind up pinching a nerve in another place. I kept up all of the above physio routines on a regular basis – and paid a lot more attention to my posture.  The pain stayed gone and life was beautiful again.
Part 4 of 4 - Now – here’s the kicker – about a month ago, after 3 years of no pain, the pain came back again.  But here’s the bit I find fascinating and uplifting – in a scientific method sort of way – and am truly grateful to have stumbled upon.  I ask myself – what could have triggered the return of the beast? Ergo, I ask myself what have you done a month or so ago that you haven’t done during the past 3 years?  Epiphany – the answer was obvious – I had recently bought a motorcycle.  I’ve ridden bikes on and off since I was 18.  I also had a bike when the beast first appeared 3 years ago (and now have no doubt that riding the bike over time – without doing the various physio routines to help stretch out/loosen the muscles – contributed to the creation of the beast).  You see, when you ride a motorcycle, you change gears by squeezing the clutch on the left handgrip (with your left hand naturally).  This squeezing motion utilizes a fairly unique muscle group (left fingers, hand, forearm, running up to your left bicep, tricep, pectoral, shoulder, neck).  Shazam.  I am now confident that if I once again implement the various physio routines I undertook before, I’ll stop the beast in its tracks.  Will keep you all posted and let you know if this does the trick. I noted that many of the other posters mentioned that the pain seemed to be activated after doing repetitive motions over an extended period of time (e.g., picking up and putting down a baby).  My (admittedly non-professional, anecdotal) diagnosis is that this sort of repetitive motion (just like my pulling and releasing the clutch on my motorcycle) can result – eventually – in myofascial pain – caused by one or more muscles becoming knotted – and this knotting having a knock-on effect on other parts of the body – culminating in a pinched nerve – or in a second knotted muscle. Apologies for the long ramble – just stumbled upon the site and thought I’d blurt out the details of my own experience – which had a happy ending the first time – and will hopefully have a happy ending this second time around as well. Keep the faith – in my experience, with a disciplined and varied (non-strenuous and non-painful, and in fact, for the most part, relaxing, soothing and not-unenjoyable) physio routine, this problem can be licked!