Left shoulder pain/ dull ache/burning- help
I am hoping someone can provide some insight. Two months ago, while at work (sit at a microscope for 8 hrs. a day for 10 yrs. now), I noticed some twinges in my L breast. I just assumed hormonal, but then I started getting twinges in my L shoulder, which turned into a dull aching and sometimes burning sensation. The area that it started out in was the side of the shoulder in the back, like under the arm. Imagine lifting your arm up, and right beneath your armpit, you rub the vertical area underneath. Now, two months later, the pain has progressed to sometimes on the top of my arm, the muscle. I seem to notice it more when I'm at my desk working.

Dr. visits have not diagnosed the problem. So far I've had a diagnostic mammogram (good) and a chest xray (good). The chest xray showed some slight curvature to the spine, but other than that, good. Of course because I've had some tingles and shooting sensations in my left breast, my mind starts to "connect" the two and worry that it is cancer. Dr. says that is highly unlikely and that it sounds like muscles or nerves, myofascial pain, etc.

Each day I wake up thinking positively, but then the pain rears its head and I start to worry again. Why isn't it going away? I can't figure out what's going on.

I'm 38 years old and have a one year old, that I am picking up constantly. I have a sit down job at a microscope that I am in a fixed position. Could poor posture be to blame? This is so strange. Sometimes, the area itches and the back of my shoulder blade itches, too. Tingles and twinges once in a while. What should I do?
I have this same exact same pain... it starts at the base of my neck and goes down under my left shoulder blade then radiates to the underside of my arm and armpit.  I've had it for at least 18 months.  

I have been doing accupuncture for the past few weeks.  My accupuncturist says that the pain is along the heart channel, so she treats that channel.  Its been very effective.  I also found that movement that causes me to lift and swing my arms is a great relief.  The doctor told me that I simply need to move more.

I do these moves in sequence several times a day, and it is a great help..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPfP1oRJFM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0wjScnytFk&feature=relmfu
I too have had this pain for multiple years, I would say at least 15. I too have degenerative bone disease in my neck. I went to the doctor the first time and they diagnosed it with Shingles and told me I would break out in the next few days. I never did. Although, this does come and go, I truly believe this is what it is in my circumstance, being there is something called Undertheskin shingles. Its a horrible burning sensation that starts in your shoulder blade, radiates to the band where your bra goes around to your sternum. I believe mine is stress related being Ihave been on stress medication for years due to a stress disorder. I can feel mine coming on, it only last a few days and then its gone for awhile. My twin sister has started having this same problem but hers in radiating into her breast all the way to her nipple. Shes pretty scared about it being I never had anything like that as far as the breast. She doesn't have the shoulder pain, hers started under the arm and into the breast. I just pray shes okay.
I have had same problems and they got worse last year after car accident. Done all the doctor stuff too. Had mammos, MRIs, Xrays, EDG (nerve test), chiropractor, pain management, physical therapy, etc.
Latest went to spine doc who said (after 3 MRIs) it was referred pain from neck and I needed injections.
Got 2nd opinion, this doc says mostly from scoliosis, my upper back doesn't bend much at all and the muscles are spasming trying to stabilize the curvature. I am 62, several medical professionals have mentioned I have scoliosis but never did anything about it. I was told it was mild and now they say moderate to severe, I sorta tilt to the left.
I am angry that no one ever said I needed to do anything about the scoliosis after all these years.
Now again in physio to try to loosen back muscles, just finished 4th treatment today. After exercise I had the worst burning in my shoulder, arm, back, neck. Told her it felt like acid indigestion in my shoulder!
She pushed on shoulder muscle and it got worse, said that means it is muscle pain. I felt the chest burning was asthma, used inhaler and got some relief. Phsyio therapist had me lay down on hot pad and wrapped another around my shoulder for 10 minutes. That really helped.
She told me she really feels it is the scoliosis causing the majority of my pain because of the muscle spasms.
I will see how this goes, don't think I can take another burning pain attack like the one today but I want so much for all this to get better!
And yes, I too work on a computer all day and my posture is awful!
I've had the same problem for over a year, Neck, shoulder, arm and hands, burning nerve pain from when I went on a Vibra Train to excercise. Now if i sit too long or I'm at the computer I'm in constant pain. But I have found a cure, exercise, putting the mouse on my lap instead of raising my hand to use the mouse. Also I use MSM natural product , anti inflammatory, and also I've come across a product called Alpha Lipoic acid, which is equivalent to gabapentin but without the side affects. Wow what a difference.
Nicole
New Zealand
hi people, i have had the same burning pain on my left shoulder that goes to my left breast, it brings a lot of anxiety the doc did a physical examination and said it is mastitis. i have been on antibiotics but the burning pain is still there, i work out at the gym and i was doing aerobics with a loose sport bra and though i could have hurt my left breast. most probably. I am 39year old woman.
To the guy that keeps telling everyone to get an MRI...I had one and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary...and yet I have shoulder pain every day.  It goes back and fourth between shoulders...one day it will be the left and the next day the right and it swaps every day...it's aggrevating and I sometimes think I'm crazy!  No one can tell me why I'm in pain and yes I do sit at a desk all day but I've correct my posture I lift weights to strengthen my shoulder/back muscles...I've really had it.  I have no kids to pick up...I'm at my witts end!
I usually would experience this kind of pain that radiates from the left breast to the back, sometimes a dull feeling under my armpit and a tingling pain in my left thumb especially when the weather is getting cold. I have been taking Vitamin B12 and now I am using medicated patches, this kind --- http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=39600#nlm34071-1. I got the patches at Everything's a Dollar Store, two patches for a dollar, and these things are helping me somehow. Please ask your doctor if they can be of help also. I hope and pray for everyone!
ask your doctors about Frozen Shoulder or look it up online...I think this is what I have.  .
I've had the same pain in my neck and back of shoulder that radiates down my right arm into my hand, pinky and ring finger.  First bout was about 10 years ago around age 40!!  I had been going to the gym since college.  My first symptoms began a day after an instructor led "Body Pump" class I had been a part of for about 2 years.  It required resting a bar balanced with heavy weights on the back of the "meaty" part of the neck and doing squats.  After one of these classes, the next day, we flew to Wisconsin with my family where I vacationed for 8 days... in agony!  Sleeping, driving and flying were the worst!
When I returned home I saw a Chiropractor for the first time ever.  I rec'd adjustments for about 4 months and the symptoms disappeared.  I continued to workout and the next 7-8 years were pain-free.  Last year all the same symptoms returned but a bit worse.  Went to Chiropractor for about 4-5 months and the symptoms disappeared again.  
In June of this year, the pain came back!  This time the pain included tons of muscle spasms/twitches in my upper back (rt. side) rt. shoulder, upper and lower arm muscles, hand pain...and pain in my right breast!?  A mammogram came back good.  Returned to the Chiropractor for adjustments along with traction and deep tissue massage (which was super painful).  During these treatments, I met someone with the same symptoms.  He convinced me to try Physical Therapy with Robotic Acupressure.  After 4 treatments along with head and neck manipulation rec'd there, symptoms disappeared again...for a month  
I woke up one morning with some pain that increased throughout the day to VERY painful by that night…same areas except my breast.  Went back to PT for one treatment...I cried through it.  He recommended I get an MRI (and see a Neurosurgeon) which revealed several herniated and bulging discs, and spurs.  The neurosurgeon didn't seem too concerned that surgery was the answer and seems to think I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome causing the pain in my arm!?  I “hear” there are several ways to alleviate this.  My PT says this can be dealt with through the "right" therapy and exercises and some serious re-arranging of my life!!  I can also have surgery to correct it.  Hope this helps someone!  

I have been having a deep dull soreness under my right armpit, for the past 2 years.  I had an MRI done w/contrast and it picked up a "possible" rotator cuff tear.  Doctor #1 says he wants to repair it, Doctor #2 says the "possible" (what the heck does possible mean anyway???) tear has nothing to do with the pain i am having.  He says my pain is caused by instability and wants to tighten my shoulder.  Tighten my shoulder?  I am only 28 and want to have childeren soon, i don't feel very comfortable with doctors wanting to repair things that have "possible" tears or tighten my arm what am i a door on hinges??  i am super confused and am going to get yet another opinion.  I feel like they just want to do surgery so bad it's very scary!  They only suggestion other than surgery was physical therapy which didn't do much, but i continue the excerises at home so the arm doesn't freeze up.  It's crazy because my range of motion is excellent!  I just have this deep soreness...i guess it could be best discribed as it feels like i just did 1 million push ups with only my right arm. Does anyone have any suggestions?  I will update you on doctor #3's opinion.
For women like me who gained a little weight (around 25 lbs.) and who have pain or soreness around the armpit, shoulder, upper back and breast, try to find out if you are wearing the right size of bra. Also, using some hot and cold patches like salonpas helps ease the discomfort. Hope this helps! My prayers to all!
Hi guys,

it's truly awful to hear of the pain and suffering some of you are having to endure and the duration of the symptoms for some of you is horrifying, so I would like to tell you of my own experience in the hope that it will be of some help and hopefully lead to some much-needed relief for as many of you as possible.

I've been having a very similar, recurring problem for the last 5 months although there is no chest involvement in my symptoms.

I first became aware of a problem when I started to get spasms at the back of my right armpit (teres minor muscle) when performing really innocuous tasks like spraying deodorant and after wiping you know where.

Then I would feel pressure gradually building up at the top of my right arm(deltoid) during the morning which was a weird sensation and which I now know to be nerve involvement.

I work as a postman, so i walk 10 to 15 miles a day and carry heavy mailbags, so this was obviously making the problem worse during the course of my working day.

After 4 days of persevering and hoping the pain would ease it became unbearable and I had to go off sick from work. I went to my GP who tested all of my joints and muscles and declared that they were all fine, so just prescribed me anti-inflammatory painkillers and told me to rest my right arm and shoulder. I would rest for 4 or 5 days and then return to work feeling mostly okay.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the problem recurred 3 times(resulting in 3 bouts of absence in a 5 month period and a final warning from my employers) and each time the pain got worse and more muscles became involved up to the point where just walking to the corner shop left me in severe pain.

I was suffering severe burning, stabbing, pinching, and aching pains in my teres minor, deltoids, biceps and foreams, plus pins and needles right down my arm and a horrible aching throb just to the left of where the pulse is taken. The pain was so bad that it would wake me up at night and I don't mind admitting that at times I was close to tears with it. It also resulted in me sleeping on the sofa for 3 weeks as I could not put any weight on my right shoulder or neck without feeling terrible pressure.

At this point, what with getting nowhere with my GP( he refused me an X-ray and just kept prescribing the same pills which I'd already told him were having no effect and which I now know aren't even the right painkillers for nerve pain - antidepressant tricyclic drugs are) and after finding this thread which included some, short, sharp advice to get to a chiropractor asap, I did exactly that.

When I went to her for my first appointment( I paid for my own treatment which averaged £30 per session) I was in serious pain and discomfort which was so obvious to her that she decided to start the hands-on treatment straight away after the consultation(instead of asking me to come back at a later date.)

She was extremely professional and got stuck in straight away. It was uncomfortable at times( she knew instinctively which areas to leave alone in the early stages by my reaction to touch) but you could feel that the manipulation and massage was definitely making a difference for the better.

I left my first session feeling marginally less pain and discomfort and still walking very gingerly, but about two hours later I can honestly say that approximately 80% of the intense pain that I'd been enduring( this third recurrence had lasted 17 days and was by far the worst) had eased off much to my huge relief.

I attended another 2 sessions with the chiropractor before switching to employer-funded physiotherapy( which I'm still waiting for haha.)

I went back to work on light duties( staying in the office and not delivering mail) and have gradually been easing back into the job to the point where I will be back on full delivery when I go into work tomorrow after just 3 weeks. So here's hoping that I will respond okay.

My chiropractor and GP say that my symptoms were caused by shoulder impingement syndrome, which I am now pretty certain was a trapped or pinched axillary nerve as this nerve runs through all of the areas of the shoulder and arm where I suffered pain and discomfort and is also attached to the spinal cord at vertebrae C5 and C6 which was an extremely tender part of my neck during the chiropractic treatment.

I'm almost certain that the main cause of my problem was an RSI injury initially to my teres minor muscle escalating to a trapped or 'impinged' nerve over the following days caused by me spending far too long on a boring Sunday using  my computer mouse with my arm completely extended.

My reason for this is that thinking back, my muscle spasms and subsequent feeling of pressure(tightening) in my right arm always started on a Monday after a freakishly long internet session the previous day. So as funny and faintly ridiculous as it sounds, I'm sure that this was the root cause of all of my extreme pain( the worst I've ever experienced, far worse than a fracture) and discomfort that has blighted the last 5 months of my life.

Taking this into account, I would urge all of you to examine your daily routine with a fine toothcomb to try and discover what might be the root cause of your injury thereby hopefully eliminating the possibility of it recurring in the near future which it might otherwise do even after receiving successful treatment in the short term.

Needless to say, as I use an optical mouse, I've learnt to use it against my leg or against my stomach now with my elbow supported by the arm of the chair and have been fine and pain-free using this method.

Also whenever I get the chance I apply a bag of frozen peas(wrapped in a tea towel or cloth to prevent ice burns) to the back of my neck for 20 mins at hourly intervals supporting the frozen pea bag in place by sitting right back against an arm chair. In the hourly interval between the frozen pea trick I  also place a microwave hot water bottle against the affected area at the back of my shoulder/ armpit(be careful it's not too hot obviously) which apparently helps increase blood flow to the soft tissue by 20% and speeds up the healing process.

I still get the odd twinge of the nerve and a numb feeling in my arm especially when lifting my hand above my head( which I'm hoping my long-awaited physiotherapy or maybe a return to the chiropractor on indeed just time will cure) but apart from that I am pain-free and am able to perform perfectly well in my personal and work life. I'm also extremely relieved to have come out of the other side of that long dark tunnel that I know so many of you are still trapped in.

I sincerely hope that my post will be useful and provide hope to as many of you as possible.

I will also post links below to medical sites that I came across during my bad times and found to be very helpful in increasing my knowledge of my injury and in giving me hope.

http://www.rcsed.ac.uk/fellows/lvanrensburg/classification/nerves/axillarynerve.htm

http://chirocentre.co.uk/trapped-nerve-neck-pain-relief/?phpMyAdmin=LS5YS3fGkHHFpQLkxX1BKp8uRi1

http://ergocise.com/pains.html

Good luck to you all
Paul.
I had the same problem a few years ago.  It became severe and had an MRI done which did show lots of inflamation in the shoulder, so much that they diagnosed (wrongly) a torn Rotater cuff.  They did repair surgery, and found that it was not torn, but severely inflamed due to a bone spur that they were not able to see in the x-rays or MRI.  My arm got to where I could not raise it, and it had severe pain.  I would look into the shoulder more carefully.
It could me the muscular and nerve issues, are you using any meprazole family medicines? or any anti acid anti gastro medicines? because these medicines will not allow the to produce vitamin b12, which is vital for nerves and muscles, you should also check the vit b12 ratio in blood through blood test.

Good Luck
I read the story and can't help but relate. That's the story of my life, so far, doctors are not clear what is the problem. Went to 5 doctors...is really depressing.
i am 44 years old i have 5 grown kids 3 grandkids and i have been having the same pains in my left shoulder and arm i have had back surgery neck surgery i have had sugery on both hands and thumb and i have had trigger points shots i had 45 shots across my back and neck at one time this pain has been going on for 18 years it starts out in your arm then it moves to your neck and back and also your legs the doctors still dont know what it is it has got so bad the doctors have me on hydroco 10 -500mg  morphine 30mg andgabapentin 300mg im telling everyone this because i have been though all this nothing works the surgerys  the shots  or the meds. it all makes things worse so please before you have sugerys or get all the shots think about what im saying because the shots and sugery are very painfull and afterwards the pain is worse
Me too I have the same problem am tired of it, sometimes I keep it to myself am tierd of complaining about it, but I shouldn't feel these pain and dullness, this been going on over 2 years it's not normal..
This may be the longest running post I have yet seen...Doctors need to read these...could help us find a solution, although they wouldn't make as much money then right?  I am 46 and have been having this same problem since about 4 years ago when my husband had a leg injury and I basically became a pack mule for several months.  

I am pretty sure I injured myself (over that period of time)...I was under enormous stress and the stress continued for years (partly because my husband lost his job because of his injury).  I had already been under stress before the incident.

I believe the key factors to this type of pain are:

ongoing stress

working on computers

society's expectations that women need to do more and carry the emotional and physical burdens of others and their families

Suggested solutions:

start treating yourself like the queen that you are

start saying NO

Realize that you can't and shouldn't have to do it all!

I have decided to implement these solutions for myself, and while my pain has not gone away, I have noticed it shifting.  

I know it is hard to do these things, but for those of you who have gone from doc to doc to doc and had mri and procedures...have you tried treating yourself better?  My instincts tell me this is the solution...take time out at least once a week to give yourself peace rest and pampering.  

Humans were not phyiscally designed to live the way we are living...we are surrounded by electricity...We absorb it and the kind we are surrounded by is not healthy.

All the best to everyone who has posted!
Sherry Fontaine (***@****)
I wanted to also mention that my father was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and then later gout a few years before my problems started.  

His first diagosis was made a while after he went to the emergency room because he thought he was having a heart attack (this symptom was mentioned in earlier posts).  It was a sudden onset of symptoms.  Since then he has been treated for RA, but now just for gout.  he also has type II diabetes.  

I have sometimes experienced the same symptoms he described when his first started (right after his mother died).

I have noticed that I feel ok sometimes until I have had coffee, so I wonder if caffine is a trigger or causes dehydration, which triggers.  I have read that increasing vitamen C can help with gout.  Vitament D has been mentioned.  

As I am sitting here typing, I noticed I am pulling my shoulders up and tightening my neck muscles in the back of my neck...up to ears...I have also noticed these problems are more pronounced when I am cold and my muscles tense up...

I hope we can all put the pieces of the puzzle together...we were not meant to live this way.

Love to all,

Sherry
Oh my gosh this is AMAZING! I thought I was going crazy and I was the only one.... I am a freshman in college and I started having these chest pains/shoulder pains my junior year in high school. Its a burning annoying sensation by my shoulder blade and it seems to never go away. Im hoping just not thinking about it and FREAKING ourselves out will make it better.

Please let me know if you learn anything!
I have all of these same pains described exactly to the T. Starting on my left breast as a tingling, then onto my shoulder blade and down my left side and arm. It all started for me when my husband was diagnosed with cancer. I was put on anxiety meds and anti depressants. The anti depressants seem to have more side effects than I really care to have. I'd almost rather just be sad and feel normal otherwise. I had a nerve test done a few months before my husbands diagnosis because I was having carpal tunnel syndrome in my right arm. They tested both arms only to find I actually have it in both arms. Carpal tunnel stems from your neck and if it goes untreated can have these symptoms we all are having. Not to say everyone has carpal tunnel here, but that appears to be my issue and the nerve test showed the damage. Sometimes when I mop my kitchen floor I notice the motion really hurts under my arm pit, or if I do something like rake leaves.
--Pectoralis Major Pectoralis major is the “major muscle of the chest.” The shoulder, arm, and chest pain of this muscle suggest serious disease. In women, breast pain is feared to be due to breast cancer and patients may be sent for repeated mammograms (ironically, exposing them to additional radiation).
Tight pectorals can also cause shoulder and chest pain extending down the arm to below the elbow. In both men and women, this pattern (especially when on the left side) can be terrifyingly similar to the pain of angina and heart attack. Pectoralis major is strained or shortened by: Hunching shoulders forward, sitting or sleeping with arms crossed on chest, typing / keyboarding, sword work.--   from ROUND EARTH PUBLISHING (www.round-earth.com)

So, ladies, sit up straight! Wear good bras. Never cross your arms, quit your desk job, take some of that crap you dont need OUT of your purse, have your husbands carry your infants and QUIT fencing, too! Above all, I will try to practice what I preach and remember what the birthing coach tried to teach me when I gave birth to my now-5-year-old: BREATHE! Take minutes out for yourself to do something for YOU. You're no good to anyone if your body is all tense and literally a ball full of knots. Read if you miss it. Take a nap. Learn to waterpaint. Try writing a poem and laugh at your rediculous rhymes. Take a boating course even if you never own a boat. Whatever! Find something that works for you and do it ("as long as it's not at the computer" I say as I type!!!) Tension stress in your neck, back, arms and chest will make you miserable and the more stress you have the more stress you have in your muscles. It's taken awhile to get there and, sorry, but it will take awhile for it to go away. Taking aleve or tylenol may help you sleep but it wont get rid of the chronic bad habits we've formed to put it there in the first place. Make good choices, ladies. I'm trying to do the same. XOXOXO, -single mom with stress pain who is now dealing with the panic disorder and high blood pressure & heartrate that the stress pain caused. The more years you "live with it" or "suffer through it" without fixing it the more symptoms and traumas you will put yourself through. You all KNOW the computer is no good for you. Believe it or not, I even know now that talking on the phone with my left ear all the time has helped mess up my spine and neck too! CHANGE EARS! Weird that this is such a hard thing to do...the left ear is totally just one more habit I'm trying to change. Look at these little things and- REALLY- sit/stand up straight! This helps your back, neck, total posture. Good luck all! Take care of you.
I have the same problem, and I will explain my situation to see if something similar happened to you.  So I have lost a lot of weight, and my bra sizes have been changing.  I was wearing a 40 DD last year, but was loosing support because it was too big around.  I tried teh 38, but around was still not supportive enough.  I went to a 36 DD, and bought several.  At first it was okay, except when they adjust the band, for some dumb reason they change the cups as well.  Well the cups and placement are a little small for me on the new bras, but I wore them anyway.  Now I have not been checked, but the problem I have now ONLY began after wearing the new bras.  I started having this weird sharp buring pain in my right shoulder.  I went and got a massage and adjustment, and it only seemed worse, which to me indicated nerve problems.  I stopped wearing the new bras, but the old ones are falling apart.  So the pain eventually went away.  I put on the newer bras out of despiration, and low and behold, the pain is back.  I really notice it when I put on my deoderant in the morning, things go numb and tingly (and painful) from breast to armpit to shoulder.  How do your bras fit you?  Is it possible we have caused nerve damage from this?
hi my name is brad and i have all the same things you do im 26 and now my kid is 5 and mine started when i was 23 and i thought heart attact for some reason been to the doctor they said i was fine but my left arm hurts all the time and i dont get it and also under neth my left brest i guess you would call it im a guys lol do you still have the pain or did you get it to go away i started lift weight hopeing make it stronger would make it go away all that did was make it worse thank you a hope to hear an answer
Hi All , am male 38 have same problem since last year i have gone through all posts above but nothing much clear need to find out reason for this well i guess this linked up with Stress to some extent ....
My c4-and c5 are fusing. Anyway I went through this several years ago and cured it, now it's back. I sit at a computer all day. When this happend the first time my doc gave me muscle relaxers and pain killers and sent me to physio. They put heated pads across my chest and shoulders while lying down, and then used that machine that makes your muscles twitch. Also had to do exercises at home. It completely went away, until now. I'm trying to find the exercises again. If I wait until it gets as bad as last time I think I will commit Hari Kari. Really the exercises do work if you find the right ones. Wish I remember what they were, but I'm sure I will find them online. It took a long time to get better and doing the exercises everyday. Of course once the pain was gone I stopped doing the exercises. I think that I should have done them a few times a week just to stay painfree. Now I have to start all over again. It's like your chest and armpit muscles are shrinking and pulling everything tight, till your shoulders burn and ache and you can't even brush your hair.
This is some really scarey stuff! Whatever it is it will start in one of my knees and move around my whole body. I am 51 going hrough prementapause would all this aching  and soreness be related to the aforemention. Sometimes my chest even feels tight! Had stress test, blood work mamo, paps, gallballadder removed7 weeks ago everything normal! I take lorezopam to keep me cslm, but this dull aching in my left shoulder is horrible!!! Please Help!!!
I believe it's a combination of bad posture esp Lap top users plus some  sort of lung inflammation which could be caused by smoking , being near  smoke like a barbq or open fire  and for women  who use mineral cover make up. The small particles from the make up  go up the nose as well as on the face and cause a lot of trouble in the lungs.
Symptoms feel the same.
I damaged my neck now over 13 years ago using a Smith machine doing calf raises and incorrectly putting a huge weight on my neck and then this set off the burning sensation in my neck and shoulder (that’s the theory) and it certainly flares up if I sit at the computer where I tend to tilt my head back, even riding a push bike or motorbike where one tends to lean forward and then look up causes the burn/tingle to increase to very uncomfortable levels.  I have never found any chiropractor, bowen or even ‘slap two dead fish over you whilst chanting’ type remedies do anything.  Sure - a massage can make the area feel ok for a very short while, but the only thing I ever found that alleviates the burning/tingle is traction – the trouble is getting traction that is safe and effective as too little is a waste of time and too much – DO NOT DO IT BY YOURSELF.  I can assure you I had a severe form of traction applied to my neck and then my pain disappeared for about 3 years, its back now but not as severe and my own fault for not taking care of things.  When working on a computer, adjust the chair as high as practical and look slightly down at the screen and this will take even a slight backwards bend out of your neck and help stop or prevent the pain.  Once you start to think about your head position, it’s amazing how often one tends to tilt the head back and just getting rid of that posture can be a great help.  If you more often look down at things instead of up – and I mean even slightly, it can help.
I gather from my symptoms & all of the comments here that this pain is nerve related. So, i"ve had the left shoulder blade, shoulder down the left arm like inflamed ulna nerve in elbow & chest pain above left breast. It's so painful that pain meds & muscle relaxers don't help. Ice, heat, no relief. So I ordered some B6, B12 & B-complex to see if these help. I know B6 is good for nerves so I'm hoping something helps because after almost 2 weeks I'm very tired (lack of sleep as well) of this awful pain. I read on another site that it could be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I'm hoping my usual cortisone shots for bursitis in rt. shoulder but adding the left side will help. I see my rheumatologist in a couple of weeks. I'm 71, female & have many other health problems including polymyalgia (fibro only all over). I get diabetic neuropathy at times but never this feeling of having an arrow or bullet shot thru my left shoulder blade coming out my chest & pain down entire rt. arm. I haven't done anything to injure my back or arm. Too many chemicals  toxins in our environment & food cause problems we may not have had before too. Good luck everyone. God bless
Great post Sherry.  Along with having the same symptoms posted on this site (for about 4 months now), I too am desperate for answers and relief.  

I just went to a fabulous (Eastern medicine) physical therapist three days ago who blew me away with this diagnosis... He told me the left side of the body represents "female negative energy" (this applies to men also) which builds up stress and tension and manifests itself physically when we are constantly thinking, thinking, thinking, about things we want to do, need to do, wish we could do, but don't do.  He told me I need to start "doing."  He hit the nail on the head with that comment.  (I actually had two emotional breakdowns during the PT session.)  

The past 13 years have been extremely stressful for me, including depression and lots of anger over my life circumstances that I felt I couldn't control, or get out of, due to financial lack.  The only thing I could/can afford to do is "think."  "Think" about how to get myself out of the situation I am in.  "Think" about how to leave my current (unhappy) relationship of 13 years - with the father of my daughter, and get a place of my own for my daughter and I.  "Think" about how to make more money in order to do that.  "Think" about how all of my dreams and wishes for my life have not come to fruition.  "Think" about taking more time out for my own self care.  "Think" about the type of relationship I wish I were in, "Think" about the type of love I wish I could experience in a new relationship.  "Think" about how I can be a better mother.  "Think" about being able to make my own way in the world and not have to rely on a man to take care of me financially.  The list goes on and on.  I think you get the point.  

Anyway, the PT said I need to learn to quiet my brain (stop thinking about my "stuff") and start DOING the things I want and desire to do.  Men don't suffer (with the physical pains mentioned in these posts) as much as women do, because by nature men are more "doers" than thinkers.  We women "think" we have to do it all, and be it all.  When in fact it is impossible to be everything to everyone, all the time.  

I know my post might sound crazy to some/most, but when the PT told me I need to start doing (taking action) on the things that are holding me back, it hit me like a ton of bricks.   So if you have been to doctor after doctor, had test after test, and still don't have any "medical" answers for your symptoms and pain, then maybe my post may apply to you.   How many things are you currently "thinking" you want/need to accomplish in your life, but are not "doing" anything about?  Oh boy, just one more thing for us to "think" about.  LOL  (Hey, laughter is good for the soul and for pain relief - so feel free to laugh right now.)  
By the way, if anyone reading this lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and wants to meet for coffee to discuss this and create a plan of action for ourselves, let me know.
Jodie
Whoops, forgot to mention (in my previous post) my PT also said that rounding my shoulders and lurching my neck forward (extensive computer usage, bad posture, and weak back) creates a tension across my chest which  radiates under my arm and pulls on my back muscles.  This is where the pain and tightness in my chest, my underarm, my back and the tingling and numbness down my left arm occur.  He gave me hope that I'm not "broken" and my pain can be resolved with PT sessions, Thai (stretching) massage, less computer and texting usage, and more "doing" of my suppressed desires.  ;)   I'm open to his advice because the three trips to the emergency room, over the past year and a half, didn't bring any answers - other than a stress and anxiety diagnosis.  
Hi PlumSweetUSA,
Please let me know if the B vitamins work for you.  I have such a hard time falling asleep, with the stabbing pain in my left upper breast - through to my back. When I do manage to fall asleep I usually wake up about 4 hours later with the pain magnified even more. So unbearable. It's driving me insane.  I've had numerous deep tissue/muscle massages and can't understand why the muscles won't respond and start to relax.  
Hello Everyone:  I am 55 years old and have been dealing with all the above pain, numbness, tingling, burning and cramps for 18 years.  I have taken prednosone, neurontin, PT, massages etc and it may  go away temporary but "always" returns.  I have an autoimmune disease and not sure if it is associated with it.  The extreme fatigue from a lack of sleep is really bothersome and is effecting all aspects of my life.

I have decided to apply for disability because it effects the quality of work I produce.
I am 31, male,  I have been having lightheadedness off and on for the past 3 years and all the test have shown "normal" for every test that I have done.  This has cause me to have anxiety, due to everything showing normal but I still feel the same way.  

I have started having a dull / burning pain in the left part of my back near the left shoulder blade and backbone.  This pain seems to follow around to the front and I have the same feeling on the left side of my chest near the ribs and brestbone?   I have no clue as to what is going on and I, just like everyone else that has had this happen, are worried sick that it could be my heart, but every test is NORMAL!!!????  I work in law enforcement and have a very stressfull position in my career.   I have tried getting a massage and it seems to help that day and the day after, then the pain comes back.  The pain is not lasting all day, but comes and goes.   Please let me know if anyone else knows what this is and how to fix it.  I am trying to get an appointment at the pain clinic at the local hospital now to see if they could possibly do an MRI of my back and or neck to see...  Thanks for any help.  
Hello!
I have the same dull ache in my left area of my back around the shoulder blade, no idea what it is, I sit at a computer alot as I am a Games Design student, it feels similar to if your have a bruised area and apply pressure. Very faint and dull but at the same time very irritating and seems to come is pulses. Am going to see a doctor if it doesn't go soon, had it for around a month now.
Cheers Lawrence
I'm also only 18...
60 year old retired female:  I see this comment started in 2006 but has been added on to since - Looks like this is a very common problem. I too have unknown cause of heart attack like pain in the chest/left shoulder blade down the arm and under the arm pit; dizziness and nausea.  This has been going on for over 8 years - with just about every test doctors can think of. Even though cardiologist says the heart looks good - every time I have a severe episode  it worries me that maybe it is the heart. The neurologist  said that no pain reliever would help once the pain began so he prescribed topomax to try to prevent the pain from beginning - but I did not like the listed side effects so I did not continue the medication. One thing that doctors did find is my stomach does not empty within normal time - gastroparesis.  Which can cause spasm resembling heart attach symptoms. So I had to change my diet to main liquids and a few solid foods that are fat free/ low fiber.  After seeing an add for free test and adjustments from a local chiropractor I decided to try that.  The xrays showed scoliosis and disc degenerate and bulge in the neck disc. I have felt much better after some adjustments - but then today while working in the yard - it scared me again because it felt like I was having a heart attack.  Seems like I can do water aerobics (low impact) but not exercise that puts me on my feet or walking. I will continue with the chiropractor for a while longer - but he will just be managing the pain as the spine will not be able to repair.  
I also have had this pain. It started one day when I was stressed at work and using a mouse for about 5 hours straight creating a spreadsheet so lots of clicking. Mine keeps moving around it started in my right arm and moves to my thoracic muscle and back muscle near shoulder blade, it then decides to move to my left side. I have always been a side sleeper and now I cannot lay on my side at all as the side with no pressure becomes unbearable. I am 36 years old and a little overweight and it is now coming up to one year. I have also had problems previously with C5 & 6. I have been to 2 x orthopedic surgeons, physio, chiro, osteo, dry needling, acupuncture and the only thing that seems to give some temporary relief is redemedial and hot stone massage. I am tired, depressed and in constant pain. The only time I have not been in pain was when I went to Vietnam for 2 weeks, my partner carried my bag everywhere and I was not driving or using a computer. I was pain free, I was even kayaking. As soon as I came home and started driving, carrying a handbag and using my computer it started. I have no hope of resolution. I had thought I had found the source under my armpit and have insisted on two ultrasounds and an xray this week but after reading this I just don't know. One of the orthopedic surgeons was a cervical specialist, he said my neck is fine and it is just muscular... I NEED HELP PLEASE. I cannot wear a bra as it make it unbearable and it is impacting my work and relationships
Am having the same problems
i thought i was alone its been all most a year now and its getting worse i.can feel the pain or tingling pins sensation
I feel pins and needle sensation in my arms mostley the left arm also at time the sharp psin in arm pit and sorness of uper arm area and top of breast
ive seen my doctor and i struggle to explsin whats going on as it changes dayley good day and bad
when its bad  it hurts just my arm on the side of my body harx to tell if its arm or breast
had bloods all normal
going for xray of back/ neck during the week
I know i may make it worse with worry and am feeling so tired with it all
I feel my doc is at the point that he rolls his eyes when i come in
at times i am convinced i feel knots uper brest / sholdet area and also get sore point if touch to the skin i jump a mile
this is affecting my marriage and work now and quality of my life
am so down about it all
i fear what if its somthing realy bad going on in my body and am getting fobed off with a scrip of vals :(
Am having the same problems
had bloods all normal
am so down about it all
I can't believe so many of us are having the same issue. Mine is my right breast, chest, shoulder, neck, forearm, wrist, hand and shoulder blade. An ultrasound and MRI did diagnose supraspinatis tendon impingement and bursitis in my shoulder. Another dr diagnosed frozen shoulder, carpal tunnel but my dr doesn't think frozen shoulder and my Physio also isn't sure what's happening. So far I've seen two specialist and I'm seeing a surgeon next week, a lot of my symptoms fit thoracic outlet syndrome, RSI and a few other things, but it's been going on for 5 months with no real answer. So glad to find you all as I started to think it was just me going crazy.
Part 1 of 4 - Hi folks - OK, I too, now have to add my voice to the song.  AS my response is a long one, to keep from falling afoul of the 8000 character limit, I’ll chop it into 4 parts.  First off, on an extremely positive note, presuming we were all afflicted with the same beast, in my experience, the pain can definitely go away completely – as it did in my case, although it’s now resurfaced 3 years later.  About 3 years ago, I had the same a burning/searing sensation that would gravitate back and forth between just above my left shoulder blade and my upper left pectoral muscle.  I’ve never been stabbed with a knife (thankfully) but that’s what it felt like (or at least what I imagine it would feel like to be stabbed with a knife in that area) – like someone had just stuck me with a knife in both places.  The pain went on for more than a year.  I developed great sympathy and respect for people who suffer with long-term chronic physical pain – it’s a real downer and can really sour your perspective on life (even if you’re a naturally upbeat person – which I tend to be).  The pain, over the course of a year, became more and more intense – going from the dull burning/searing sensation to a sharp and sudden knifelike pain.  At its worst, it became downright freakish – I’d be walking down the street and – all of a sudden – wham – I’d get hit with a spasm in my left pectoral, arm and wrist that would build in intensity for a good 1 to 2 minutes, almost knocking me off my feet and contorting my entire left arm.  At one point, I was in a job interview, which I had thoroughly nailed – only to get hit with one of these spasms during the last minute of the interview.  I must have seemed like Jekyll and Hyde to the interviewer – and sufficiently freaked him out – cuz I didn’t get that job.
Part 2 of 4 - It was at that point that I knew it was time for me to see a doctor.  I first saw my GP who said it sounded like a pinched nerve – he directed me to a neurologist – who took x-rays and an MRI – nothing showed any discernible causes but he offered to give me a steroid injection in my neck to help ease the pain – which, as mentioned, was getting more and more intense – but I politely declined this generous offer (I wasn’t going to let anyone stick a needle (let alone a steroid) in my neck).  The neurologist told me that, in lieu of the steroid injection, he would refer me to a physiotherapist.  This chap (an ex-boxer) was great. He told me straight up that he wouldn’t be able to diagnose the precise cause of the problem but told me that, in his view as well, it seemed like a pinched nerve.  He gave me a whole bunch of exercises – designed to ease the tension (and the resulting pressure on the nerves and muscles) in my neck, shoulders and upper back.  Several months into these stretching routines, the pain seemed to be easing up ever so slightly (but would typically, and very dishearteningly, suddenly return with a vengeance). The physiotherapist referred me to an osteopath – a very tall Hungarian chap who assured me he could cure the problem by cracking my back once every two weeks for a couple of months.  After not feeling a damn bit of difference after the 4th back-cracking, I gave up on this chap – and thought I’d give acupuncture a try.  The first acupuncturist I tried seemed a bit rubbish – so I switched to another one who was highly recommended.  She stuck a few pins in me and gave me some tree-bark-like powder to eat like cinnamon once a day.  After 4 appointments with her, I was about to strike her from the list as well – when the most remarkable thing happened – the pain went away completely.
Part 3 of 4 - To this day, I have no idea which method of exorcism did the trick because, at the same time I was seeing the 2nd acupuncturist, I was also (a) doing the neck/shoulder/upper-back stretching exercises the physio had given me; (b) doing lots of push-ups (which always seemed to help alleviate the pain); (c) doing yoga (on my own); (d) doing tai-chi (on my own); and (e) like one of the previous posters (eager to try anything at all to help cure the cause rather than merely help alleviate the pain on a short-term basis), I picked up a book on trigger-point therapy – a little known form of physio designed to cure myofascial pain (essentially pain deriving from muscles that have become knotted) – this was an eye-opening and  life-changing experience for me – the various brief (approx 1 to 2 minute) trigger point massages (I gave myself)  2 or 3 times a day – seemed to be helping solve the problem (but definitely not solving the problem altogether on their own) – although, remarkably, at the same time, simple, self-given trigger-point massages completely cured another similar issue I had had (for about 20 years) with tightness and a dull ache in my knees and hips (which started when I was in my mid 20s (after running track (the mile) and cross-country in college) – a problem no one, and I mean no one, doctors and physios alike, was able to properly diagnose over a 20 year period of time – and the complete cure came down to an extremely simple massage tool – a marble ball that I rolled over the narrow sliver of muscle just next to the hip for about a minute once a day over a 2-week period – and then – once every couple of weeks or so or whenever the tightness returned). But back to the left shoulder blade/pectoral pain – another thing I did at the time, again, eager to try everything possible to fight off the beast, was to pick up a mini, hand-held gyro-ball (kind of like a yo-yo that you activate by pulling a string) that I would rotate with my left hand and wrist – the gyro-ball builds in intensity with centripetal force and thereby loosens and stretches the muscles in your wrist and forearm.  This little thing was fantastic and I have no doubt it did its part in helping to solve the problem (apparently, it’s meant to be great for such afflictions as carpal tunnel). What I surmised from all of the above was that the issue (a pinched nerve, a knotted muscle, whatever it actually was) seemed to be coming from various parts in my body which were all connected – what I needed to do was properly stretch and loosen my neck, shoulders and upper back – as well as my forearms and wrists – because all of the nerves and muscles in these areas were partially connected – and a knotted muscle in one place would wind up pinching a nerve in another place. I kept up all of the above physio routines on a regular basis – and paid a lot more attention to my posture.  The pain stayed gone and life was beautiful again.
Part 4 of 4 - Now – here’s the kicker – about a month ago, after 3 years of no pain, the pain came back again.  But here’s the bit I find fascinating and uplifting – in a scientific method sort of way – and am truly grateful to have stumbled upon.  I ask myself – what could have triggered the return of the beast? Ergo, I ask myself what have you done a month or so ago that you haven’t done during the past 3 years?  Epiphany – the answer was obvious – I had recently bought a motorcycle.  I’ve ridden bikes on and off since I was 18.  I also had a bike when the beast first appeared 3 years ago (and now have no doubt that riding the bike over time – without doing the various physio routines to help stretch out/loosen the muscles – contributed to the creation of the beast).  You see, when you ride a motorcycle, you change gears by squeezing the clutch on the left handgrip (with your left hand naturally).  This squeezing motion utilizes a fairly unique muscle group (left fingers, hand, forearm, running up to your left bicep, tricep, pectoral, shoulder, neck).  Shazam.  I am now confident that if I once again implement the various physio routines I undertook before, I’ll stop the beast in its tracks.  Will keep you all posted and let you know if this does the trick. I noted that many of the other posters mentioned that the pain seemed to be activated after doing repetitive motions over an extended period of time (e.g., picking up and putting down a baby).  My (admittedly non-professional, anecdotal) diagnosis is that this sort of repetitive motion (just like my pulling and releasing the clutch on my motorcycle) can result – eventually – in myofascial pain – caused by one or more muscles becoming knotted – and this knotting having a knock-on effect on other parts of the body – culminating in a pinched nerve – or in a second knotted muscle. Apologies for the long ramble – just stumbled upon the site and thought I’d blurt out the details of my own experience – which had a happy ending the first time – and will hopefully have a happy ending this second time around as well. Keep the faith – in my experience, with a disciplined and varied (non-strenuous and non-painful, and in fact, for the most part, relaxing, soothing and not-unenjoyable) physio routine, this problem can be licked!
Hi just read your blog, am experiencing exactly what you describe I have had a mammogram, ultrasound and several blood tests, all clear but the burning sensation is terrible  is it related to the mastalgia or something else please advise. Thanks.
I have a lot of the same symptoms, but mine started after a head on car accident over 2 months ago.  It has always hurt, but after physical therapy and weights, I now have the constant ache in my shoulder, in my neck, down my arm and in my deltoid muscle a lot of tenderness.  And my left shoulder is a lot higher on observation than my right.  I have an MRI tomorrow and the physician is thinking that it may be a Rotator cuff tear, that has gotten worse with more activity.
Hi dont know if you will see this, but i have the same symptoms as you and wondered if yoi ever found out what it was and if its any better, also what they said about the broken veins on your breast. X
Did anyone find chiropractor treatment worked for them? I personally didn't - I had about 12 sessions, went away for a week and could hardly move my neck. Three weeks later my neck is still sore but not as bad but the burning in the shoulders, between the blades, is awful! Doctor said it was anxiety for me but I reported the neck problem months ago and wasn't that anxious at that point although have suffered with anxiety in the past. Maybe its a delayed reaction.. I use the telephone a lot at work and sit for hours in front of the pc.