Neurology Community
Left side face numb/cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Left side face numb/cold

I am a 19 year old female. I have had infected sinuses before, and this year i seemed to constantly get it, but only had symptoms for a day and then they would disappear so i never went to the doctor. Last month, the symptoms didn't disappear in a day, instead i had it four a couple. (constant headache, sore cheeks, pressure when bent over), and then one morning i woke up and the whole left side of my face was numb. Not completely numb, i could feel my face, but to describe the feeling it was like i had been to the dentist and gotten a filling and the numbness was wearing off. My left nostril and eye, and left side of mouth also felt cold, and my left eye felt heavy and abit itchy/tingly. Even on the left side inside my mouth was numbish feeling, making it not hard but not as easy to eat. I had a bad taste in my throat and the pressure in my cheeks was mainly on the left side of my face.
I went to the doctor and he gave me two scripts of Antibiotics (ceclor). He said the numbness sounded odd, but just go home and try the antibiotics. So i went home, and none of my symptoms went away. I was on the antibiotics for 20 days. After 20 days i returned to my doctor and said i still had the symptoms. So he gave me a different antibiotic - Augmentin. He also gave me to scripts of this. While i was having this my facial numbness seemed to disappear. I was told to get a blood test, which i did and everything came back fine. I also had a CT scan on my sinus's and that came back with no show of infection. So i wonder if perhaps my 'sinus symptoms' have nothing to do with sinus at all. The doctor then said it could be a tooth problem, as a bad tooth can cause numbness and facial/jaw pain. So i went to the dentist, got an x-ray but nothing was wrong with any of my teeth.
I haven’t been back to the doctor since, as it seemed my symptoms had gone away. It has been about 2 weeks since i last went to him maybe. Anyway, today i woke up with a headache, and then started to get sore cheeks, mostly on the left side. Later in the day my eye started to prickle and now the left side of my face is numb again. If i still have the symptoms tomorrow i am going back to the doctor.
I just want to find out what is causing this problem as it is quite uncomfortable.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my jaw clicks and locks quite a bit. I mentioned this to both the doctor and the dentist and they had nothing to say about it. Also, every now and then my ears make a high pitched ringing noise, and i go a little bit deaf for a few seconds. This happens very rarely though and the doctor checked my ear and there was no sign of infection. Does anyone have an ideas of what this could be? Does anyone have anything similar? I really want to start feeling better soon. Especially now that its the holidays! Please help? :)
Woke up this way too, if I find out anything I'll post it here for you too. Sorry to be short, busy looking for answers...
It is now the end of 2012. Still suffering with this condition.

The first neurologist i went to thought i had Cluster headaches because my eye was tearing up, so i was prescribed Topamax. This did not help at all, and i returned several times saying it isn't working, and it is the cheek pain that is bothering me-not the headache. All she did was increase the topamax to 250mg a day. This caused my hair to fall out!  Luckily this neurologist left her practise, so I went to a different one for a second opinion.

I have had quite a few MRI's and nothing has showed up.

My current neurologist thinks i have atypical neuralgia. I am on Endep, 10 mg, which seems to calm the symptoms. I never know what is going to trigger the bad cheek pain, but i think this medication helps with the numbness and tingling at least.  

*No pain medication I have tried helps with the cheek pain.*

Years later, my symptoms are still the same, except that i am having more frequent headaches, and of late they have been lasting for up to a week and more. With the headaches now comes dizziness. I can be lying in bed and feel extremely dizzy.

Tingles recently have been constant on the right side of my face, only around the outer corner of my right eye, above my right lip and the corner of my right lip, and my right nostril. They go crazy when i chew on something or touch them.

Other symptoms, not sure if relevant are: Pulse like whooshing sounds in right ear. Plus Tinnitus. Tiredness. And probably other random things i can't think of right now.

I'm seeing a new neurologist in January, who is meant to be very good and i hope he can help me.

The pain in my face has been so bad lately i havn't been living the life i would like. Because anything can trigger the pain in my face and i get scared to move. Because of this, of course i have had depression.
has anyone checked you for idiopathic cranial hypertension?  you are describing symptoms i have been dealing with.  i was dx with bilateral vestibular weakness but no one told me the cause so i have been trying to research on my own so i would know what questions to ask the neurologist. since i am overweight and do have sleep apnea, i ran across the cranial hypertension.  i don't know if this criteria fits you as well, but if it does; it couldn't hurt to ask them about it.  hang in there