Neurology Expert Forum
Leg Muscle Pain/Tightness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg Muscle Pain/Tightness

Posted By Dan Verna on August 03, 1998 at 08:35:32:

I am a 52 year old male. I generally consider myself to be in good health. I am about 5'10" and 170lbs. I am a runner and I have been running for almost 25 years. I usually run about 4 to 5 miles a day. During the last two years I have experienced some symptoms which I have heard are related to a type of cold or flu like virus which settles in the muscles.
Last Winter I began to feel a tightness in one my thigh muscles. The pain intensified over a couple of weeks. I was still able to keep my running up , however, the symptoms became worse. The muscle tightness was accompanied by a constipation, and a nausea usually in the morning. During my morning run the muscle tightness would lessen as I warmed up. After my runs it would return. The symptoms lasted several weeks or close to 60 days before it subsided. I also suffered a loss of sexual appetite over this period of time.
This Spring I suffered the same symptoms. This time the muscle tightness started in my right leg and lasted from April through mid June. There were tmes when the symptoms seemed to move from one area to another. My thigh muscle would be tight and then subside. It seemed that another muscle in my back or leg would tighten up for a period of time and the pain would return to the orginal area. I don't believe this is related to any muscle strain from running. I have been running a long time and I always stretch and warm up before my runs.
I have heard that there are cold and flu symptoms which can settle into a muscle and last for months.