Neurology Expert Forum
Leg Pain after back surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg Pain after back surgery

I had back surgery on the 16th of July and a week after the surgery, I have severe leg pain. I have been told it is my sciotic nerve. I can't go without my meds without terrible pain. Even on the meds I still have the pain in my leg and foot terribly. I had an L5 and S1 fusion. They also found that my back had been broken when going in for surgery. The disc was totally removed off my spine. Can anyone tell me what is the best solution for this. I have to wait out the weekend for an MRI becaue the lab couldn't get the order right on friday and I don't know how much more pain I can take. If I try to walk I almost pass out. I have been in bed since the surgery. Thanks for any help or ideas you can give me.

Sandi McClure
If the pain is new, meaning it wasn't present prior to the surgery you should tell your surgeons ASAP. Something may be misaligned or there may be swelling, collection of blood, or something may have happened to the hardware (if any was placed in your spine). In the meantime, stay off your feet, no heavy lifting and rest until you can get a hold of your docs. Also, ask for some pain meds to get you through until after the MRI. If you are unable to get the stronger prescription meds, try advil and tylenol. Good luck.
hi; I have had five back surgery's on my low back from L-1 to l-5s1 and have had pins and screws and bone fucions and going for # 6 surgery in august 2002 and I am on 320mg of ms contin a day to keep my pain down so I can drive or do anything. I see what other people are going through and all I got to say is god is with you and hope you all do well and find the anwsers and take care. may God bless all. ty brian from vermont
A related discussion, pain was started.
A related discussion, leg and foot pain after back surgery was started.
A related discussion, Pain  in leg after back fusion was started.
A related discussion, back operation was started.
A related discussion, Leg pain after Spine Fusion on L-5 and S-1 was started.