Neurology Community
Leg Tingling & Numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg Tingling & Numbness

I woke up 5 days ago and had tingling in both my right & left legs from the waist down. I went to the doctor that day and they ordered a Lower spine MRI and some bloodwork. Everything came back normal. I saw a neurologist who did some more tests and his best diagnosis was that a virus or allergy was present. He told me to wait a couple weeks to see if it went away unless anything worsened, the tingling began to ascend or if I lost control of my bowels. Over the last two days my feet have become almost numb, I cannot feel urination or bowel movements and I have no sensation inside my vagina. I saw the doctor again today and he preformed the same simple neurological exams. He consulted with the neurologist and they both believe that it is NOT MS. They confirmed again that I should give it a couple weeks unless anything worsens. They also reiterated that they were "baffled" and that they believe it is a virus and will go away. Is it common to have a virus that attacks the nervous system that just goes away? Is it possible it could be MS and it is undetectable on an MRI?

I agree, with the opinio of your neurologist that its not multiple sclerosis.

Your symptoms could be due to ' viral transverse myelitis' or mild form of myelitis, which affect the sacral spinal cord.

Did your doctor adviced a CSF examination? Almost all patients with viral myelitis have inflammatory changes in the CSF. Viral culture can also be done.

Patient's with viral myelitis should be treated with antiviral drugs like acyclovir or ganciclovir plus foscarnet.
My sister is currently going through almost the exact same thing.  She started out with tingling in her feet that has now reached her groin.  She has been in the hospital for 1 week 3 MRI's and a spinal tap and her nerve function tests are all normal.  They are discharging her on physical therapy.  What is your current status?
Have you had a cervical MRI?  My lower body numbness has been around since Sept. 07.  I have had a cervical fusion to c5&c6 due to a "severe spinal cord injury".  I don't know that it helped much, cause the numbness has not subsided, but it has not gotten worse either.