Neurology Community
Leg numbness & foot cramping during sleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a 20 yo F with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobility type) & a few times in the past 3 weeks I've woken up in the middle of the night b/c my right leg has fallen asleep & my foot has cramped. My entire leg falls asleep although in my thigh it is only the posterior half, but lower leg is completely numb. I have been having problems with my tibial nerve & dorsal aspect of foot is prone to cramping during the day especially when kept in dorsiflexion for more than 5-10 sec. Every time I wake up with this I'm in the same position: sleeping on my left side with knees slightly bent. I have had back problems in the past & since I have laxity in all of my joints I'm wondering if maybe my hip is slipping in the joint a little bit while I'm sleeping possibly compressing a nerve causing my leg to go numb or if it could be a vertebrae slipping a little in my sleep compressing the nerve. It is really uncomfortable and is really starting to get on my nerves. If anyone has any ideas let me know.