Neurology Community
Leg pain - tingling foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg pain - tingling foot

About a month ago I got this pain behind my knee that seemed to come out of nowhere.  I couldn't straighten my leg all the way without it being painful.  That pain seemed to be gone within a day, but since then I've had a strange feeling in my leg - a heavy sort of swollen feeling along with the muscles feeling tight and sore.  Today I woke up and my foot was tingling and that feeling has continued most of the day.  About 3 days ago I had a sudden sharp pain in my shoulder then similar feelings in my arm as I've had in my leg.  Coincidence?  I've had back problems in the past but at the moment it doesn't seem to be bothering me.  Could my back (or neck) being the root cause of these symptoms?  Both are on the left side.  Nothing is actually swollen, just feels that way.   I've also had a couple pretty severe muscle spams in my calf and foot.  The tingling has me concerned.... and I've already got a problem with being over-concerned/consumed with health issues....  any ideas?????
Thanks!!
Hi, Thank you for your question. Burning sensation, numbness or tingling sensation in any part of body is considered nerve related in origin. This burning sensation you are having can occur due to impingement, irritation or compression of nerve of spine , neck or thigh. Sometimes leg or knee pain may occur due to injury to nerve either due to spinal deformity or along its path to thigh by any ligament or tendon stretch, excessive tight clothing (therefore it is also called "jeans disease"), diabetic neuropathy or damage to nerve after surgery etc. Another nerve which may cause pain in legs is sciatic nerve compression. I would advise a CT scan of spine and thigh, blood sugar levels, and EMG to check out abnormal muscle responses.  Once the diagnosis is reached then treatment modalities available are strict rest, loose clothing, painkillers (NSAIDS and opioid), pain modifier medicines like carbamazepine may also be prescribed by the doctor. Therefore a neurologist’s consultation may help you in this regard.  Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take care.