Neurology Community
Leg spasms/seizure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg spasms/seizure

Thank you for reading this. I am a 22 year old female. For a year and a half I have been having painful nighttime leg cramps/spasms. They are excruciating, not like what I hear about restless leg syndrome. Now, a few days ago, I woke up having a spasm, like I normally do, and then it almost seemed to crawl up my body and I had a seizure. Two people witnessed it. I was taken to the ER and had a ct scan, all ok. Now I am seeing a neurologist. I had an EEG done, also ok, but have a 72 hour EEG and a brain MRI scheduled. During the day, my calfs cramp up and I get tingling sensations in my legs, sometimes my arms a little. Now, I thought maybe the leg spasms were to do with my back problems (Extra bone growth and slipped disc that I will eventually be getting a minor surgery for) but none of the doctors seem to think it is related. And now with this seizure, it seems to be something else altogether. I just feel like I am not getting any answers and I am very scared. I am on Keppra for now, and my doctor will put me on Quinine for the leg spasms soon. I didn't just let this go for more than a year. I went to the doctor for these leg spasms, but no one could help me. I can't sleep anymore. They are the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I feel like the leg spasms are directly related to the seizure. Please, any help would be wonderful.
Hi, what about blood tests, did they checked blood calcium and electrolyte levels as low calcium levels are associated with spasm. Other causes are white matter disease of brain e.g. multiple sclerosis but seizures are usually not seen in multiple sclerosis.

Wait for MRI report as cause of seizure will come up in MRI only. Disc protrusion or bony outgrowths in spine compress nerves which causes leg pain. Electrolyte imbalance can also lead to seizures.
The EEG and MRI came back normal, as did all the blood work. My doctor put me on muscle relaxers and valium to help with the leg cramping/spasms. So far, they are not helping. The nighttime leg cramps are still going on. They are still very painful. And now, I get them during the day, which had not happened before. They happen when I am standing or sitting. I cannot figure out what triggers them. Sometimes I think a lot of walking caused it (I was at the zoo all day when the first one happened) but then sometimes they just happen when I am sitting watching TV. These hurt, but not quite as much as the nighttime ones. They are always in my left leg. My leg curls up and lefts up completely involuntarily, it lasts about 10 seconds, then it convulses a little and stops. Afterwards I feel shaky and my toes and left arm a re usually a little tingly. All of my other symptoms have gotten worse as well since the seizure. The insides of my calves often have a tearing/pinching like feeling. My heels are tingly a lot, joints hurt, headaches (sometimes just my eyeballs hurt-it's weird), I could go on. My doctor said she doesn't know why I had a grand-mal seizure. She says some of these symptoms can be brought on my "stress". I am not a depressed person. I love my life and the only thing making me upset is the worsening of my health. I see her in two weeks again. She mentioned a muscle disorder, but I cannot remember the name. I also may be sent to a sleep clinic in a few months. Here's my question: Do you think I could have MS? Many people seem to think so. I know someone whose relative is a doctor and he said he would have ordered a spinal tap for me, since the lesions are not yet showing up on my brain.
You describe my seizures exactly.  Mine started approx 1 year ago.  Once I started journaling them they are approx 2-3 months apart.  I live alone and I suspected whatever was happening was rendering me unconscious.  Once I tried to get out of bed and stop the cramp, I fell and brusied myself badly on my footboard.  I also tore a toenail completely off.  I have no memory of the fall, just going into the seizure.  I had digital Infrared Thermal Imaging 2 months ago and bloodwork.  I have a weak left brain and low CO2 (Thiamin deficiency).  I am being treated for both, one not related to the other.  I also stopped taking the birth control Seasonale also.  I do recall my symptons started once I started taking this pill.  I had taken BC since a teenager (I am now 48) and enjoyed the 4 periods a year, however I am not convinced the Seasonale doesn't have something to do with my condition.  I just had another seizure last night, it didn't seem as severe however.  I wonder if it could stilll be in my system or have caused any lasting effects.  Have you had another seizure since June?
Hi, your symptoms are not suggestive of MS; the cause is possibly endogenous stress. Muscle disorders will show up with nerve and muscle conduction studies along with blood CKP.

May be drugs like amityptline, venlafaxine, gabapentin etc which are good for neuropathic pain could be tried on you after investigations. Good luck and take care!
I was wondering if you have had any success with the suggestions given.  How did your sleep study go?  I also had study and do have sleep apena, however the cpap has not made a difference, yet, with my seizure, which are still 1-3 months apart and only at night.
i have the same thing since i was 13. i am now 21 now. this is what the doc told me when i was trying to figure this all out. i have a really small scar in my  right side of the brain that even the naked eye couldnt see and thats what course my leg to go off and if i dont take the meds right i could go into a seizure. you could have gotta this scar anytime in ur life and not know it into later on in years. what we have is very uncommon and not many doc know about it. you could have this for the rest of  ur life but some doc say u could grow out of it but i can tell u it does get easy. when my leg goes off i try to walk around or watch tv get my mind of it. take vitamin D for ur bones so there strong and try to work out ur legs.if u have anymore question u would like to know just ask :)
Jess-- I have had the same problems for many years and am only now beginning to get suggestions what to do.  Many of them are dietary-- increasing intake of calcium, magnesium, potassium and folic acid.  Unfortunately, none of these things help when one is in the middle of such a seizure.  Perhaps your doctor may need to adjust your Keppra levels or try another med in tandem with Keppra, like Carbamazepine which tends to treat focal seizures a little better (to my understanding).

I am glad (well, glad is not the right word) to know there are other people with these symptoms because many doctors have looked at me like I'm crazy when I describe seizure activity beginning in the leg.