Neurology Community
Leg tingling and muscle soreness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg tingling and muscle soreness

I am a 34 year old female who is very active - I run about 25-30 miles/week and have completed two marathons and many shorter events. I have been running consistently for 6 years. In November, I woke up one morning to both legs tingling in my lower legs and feet, tight calf muscles and heaviness in both legs. I ran a marathon approximately 1 month prior, but had been resting and easing my way back into running slowly over that month with no problems prior to that morning. I visited my doctor and she did a tuning fork test on my ankles and feet and, for comparison, on my wrists. She said there was a noticeable loss of sensation in my feet. We discussed any changes - I had recently switched brands of insoles in my running shoes and the arches seemed too high so I switched to something less pronounced. Related or not, the tingling slowly faded by the end of January, but no matter how much rest or stretching or massage I get on my calves, the muscles still seem tight and sore.

I was concerned about the tingling because my brother is living with MS and was and continues to be his major symptom - numbness and tingling in arms, legs and face. My doc said she didn't think it would be that because MS rarely presents in both legs simultaneously. But, she took my complaints seriously and said to touch base with her if it returns and she would refer me to a neurologist. The tingling and pain (muscle pain in calves) has returned in the last two days.

I had my thyroid gland removed 1 year ago because of some large suspicious nodules that turned out to be benign and am now taking Synthroid, but my TSH levels are good and my doc ran a full blood panel to rule out any other things that could cause these sorts of symptoms - everything came back normal. I feel silly because I don’t want to over react by running to get a bunch of tests, but I also don’t want to ignore a problem. Could running be causing these symptoms? I find that hard to believe because they came out of no where at a time when I was actually being less active than usual and didn’t make any gear changes before this current bout of tingling. I am certainly not looking for a electronic diagnosis, just some advice on if this is something to worry about. Thanks!