Leg weakness, spine surgery
In January 2007, I began experiencing a warm sensation on the outer part of my lower right leg. By April I had slight weakness in both legs and a feelilng of slight instability.  By Summer, along with continued weakness, I had minor aches and pain in legs.  Also some minor pain and slight weakness in arms.  After even minor exercise, my legs wouldn't recover for a couple of days.

My neurologist performed numerous blood tests, MRI on brain and EMG, but nothing was noted at that time,  No indications of MS, ALS, or other motor neuron issues.  Another round of EMG in the late fall detected nerve damage in lower right leg.  Also MRI on neck showed a disk (between C4 and C5) pertruding inward toward the spinal cord causing the cord to curve.

I had the disk  removed and the vertebra fused in mid January 2008.  Arm issues cleared up almost immediately.  However, I am still experiencing weakness, some aches and slight feeling of instability in my legs.  btw I believe that I have a very good neurologist and neurosurgyn, so I am not questioning the diagnosis, at least at this point.  

After a long explanation, for which I apologize, my questions are:

Has anyone experienced nerve damage in legs due to a similar problem with irritation of the spinal cord by a disk in the neck?

If so, how long did it take to recover, if at all.

Is there anything that can be done to speed the recovery from the nerve damage.

Speak to your doctor about an epideral nerve block injection. I have nerve damage to my left leg due to a condition called spondylolisthesis. I just recently saw a new physiatrist who recommended the epideral injection. I have not yet tried it but he says that most people have had success with it and it may last for several months.
Best of luck to you.
Anne
Yes.  I had sudden leg weakness a few years ago with severe neck pain.  I had c 5-6 disk problem with mild cord compression and mass effect.  My diagnosis was cervical myelopathy.  I questioned the diagnosis and still do as my cord compression was mild but it did make a curve in my cord that I could easily see on MRI.  Anyway, I had surgery and actually got worse after surgery with numbness, tingling, weakness in my legs and arms.  I never fully recovered.  I was told I may never recover fully. I'm better than I was. Nerves repair very slowly, something like 3mm a month if I remember correctly.  The surgeon told me 6-9 months for full healing.