Neurology Community
Leg weakness/giving out

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Leg weakness/giving out

Greetings.  I am a 23-year-old female and have been experiencing leg weakness for 3 weeks.  The weakness comes and goes; some days, I cannot walk for more than just a few steps because my thighs (quads) begin to feel like rubber and cannot sustain my weight (of 105 lbs).  It sometimes is worse in the evening than in the morning, although recently, my legs have either given out or wanted to when I get up.  I was able to walk over 4 miles six days ago with no difficulty, so the problem is not continuous.  I went to the doctor, and there are no problems with my muscle strength.  I cannot figure out why just before giving out, my muscles feel like I did 100 leg presses.  (The day that was the worst followed a weekend of not leaving my home, so I know that this is not exercise-related.)  I have also been experiencing dizziness and fatigue.  I have been eating enough and getting plenty of sleep.

I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs.  I am a former athlete who has not lifted weights or run since a shoulder injury in February.  My only exercise is walking several miles a week, but I have recently been having difficulty with carrying out some of my daily activities that involve leaving my home.

I may have experienced similar symptoms 2 months ago, which lasted for about 3 weeks (dizziness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, leg weakness).

I would appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This may be due to stress induced so you have to see how long a period of weakness lasts and if it gets repeated you have to visit a Neurologist and Orthopaedician because there might be a problem if it is not stress related.
You also have to do some simple blood tests like Haemoglobin and also correlate with  your age and sex. Check out your BMI and see if it falls in normal or not.
Any further progress/diagnosis re your issue.  Pls advise as I have a similar problem.
Does your weakness get worse the longer you walk (could be caused by spine problems), or do your legs get weak right away (could be a neurological disease.) MS has symptoms of weakness that comes and goes and trouble concentrating.  

Also, do you have any pain in your legs?  Your symptoms are similar to mine, except my leg weakness has a lot of PAIN and it is getting continually worse.  Let me know if you get any answers, also.  (I have arthritis of the spine, but I have no diagnosis of my fatiguable leg pain.)    Google your symptoms, also!  And keep posting.  If your doctors ignore you.  I believe you!   Don't let them get you down!  My doctors have put me through the wringer.
i have the same problem, i feel soreness and weakness from my arms to my legs, to my feet, i have trouble reacting immediately or concentrating, i keep feeling too warm, and psychologically unmotivated. I used to be running 4-5 miles a day last year and walk 5-6 miles with a heavy bag, anyway, i went to meps which is a place people go to process into military which i was training to go for and the doctor there said i had scoliosis which i didn't have bc the xray showed i had minimal kyphosis or increasing kyphosis whatever that means from the cobb test. i went to bootcamp and the boots were heavy and i wore them for a week before they kicked me out bc i cried bc i was sick with fever. I was there for two weeks. some psychologist told me i was schizoid, and well life ***** after that, bc i was looking for a job three weeks later, i was a maid which was yesterday and i was doing 8 plus hours of cleaning no break and i felt even worse and the customer was telling my boss i didnt do the 7 hours of work he wanted me to and my boss was yelling at me and this happened all onn the first day and even though i did my best, i felt my worst; i hate feeling sore everyday and weak with my legs all heavy and my feet cant even move fast. I had twisted my ankle like  a  month ago and i thought it would go away, but i dont know what's wrong