Neurology Community
Legs and arms "go to sleep" easily

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Legs and arms "go to sleep" easily

In the past year I have noticed my arms and legs "go to sleep" very easily, even when i sleep, which has never happened before. I actually noticed this at school when my legs would completely "go dead" when sitting at a desk -- even when they were not crossed. I am a quite healthy, 120 lb. 17 yr old female, physically active, good diet, with no other noticable symptoms. Should I be worried to have this problem at such an early age?
In the past couple months, I stared feeling a sensation of mosquitos biting me all over when I'm trying to fall asleep. Then,  some time after that my legs or arms fall asleep while I'm sleeping and this causes for me to wake up in the middle of the night.  Last night same thing mosquito sensation bitting all over my legs and arms and then tingling and legs and arms fall asleep.  I have to get up and walk or rub my legs.  I'm in my mid 30, mother of two, good diet very active. 125 lb . I have no idea how to aproach this symptoms!!!
Could this be anxiaty, strees, or some neurological problem??? Could this also be related to some nerve pinching in my back????
Tks.
Tks.
Is anyone ever going to answer these????
Most likely pressure on the nerves, you compress anybodies nerves for long enough and that is going to happen. If you stay in one posture for a long time it can happen, which is why it is more likely to happen when you are asleep.

In the long term there may be some reason why a particular nerve is being chronically compressed due to an injury or deterioration in the spine or any joint.

A typical example of long term compression is carpal tunnel syndrome which is compression at the wrist, which I have.
Oh ok.. nothing to worry about then.. whew... thank you.
I had the sensation of my arms constantly falling asleep while I slept (or tried to) when I was pregnant.  The doctor explained that since you have more blood in your body circulating during pregnancy, sometimes carpal tunnel symptoms appear.  I now have (5 years and 3 kids later) a constant sensation of wanting to exercise my legs until exhaustion and then starting over again - until I finally go into a deep sleep...........Do you think this is a sign of restless leg syndrome, ...could you maybe have the same?  Are you maybe low on B complex (that usually helps w/ nerves)  Good luck to ya, hope all gets better!
I have CREST scleroderma. For a couple of years prior to the onset of most of my CREST signs and symptoms, I experienced this falling asleep of my arms up to 5 times a night. It turns out that many CREST patients do. This April 2009, a study showed that vasculopathy of the ulnar artery (artery running through the arm) is quite common in scleroderma. In fact, even prior to this it was well known that scleroderma causes all sorts of vasculopathy. Go google "CREST scleroderma" and see if you have any of the other signs of CREST.