Neurology Community
Light headedness/Dizzyiness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Light headedness/Dizzyiness

Hi there,

I am a 42 year old male.

Over the last 5 days or so I have been experiencing sudden but very short bouts of dizziness/light headedness
It only lasts for literally a second maybe two. It seems to happen when I am walking or when I move my head in a certain position. It feels like I am going to lose my balance but I steady myself. It has happened only one time each day. I do feel a bit off when I play my xbox too.

Afterwards I feel anxious and my heart pumps faster. I am really worried that its something serious.

I have had bouts of dizziness throughout my life previously but none have lasted this long so I am concerned.

I do take xanax on and off for anxiety but this has been for a few years now so I don't think this is the cause.

Has anyone else suffered from this and might have a clue as to what might be causing it? I am worried it could be something serious.
What you may have been experiencing is positional vertigo, and typically that occurs from either blood pressure changes or crystals inside your ear.  Try doing some Cawthorne's Head exercises to see if it helps.  Otherwise have someone who is able to check your blood pressure do orthostatic blood pressure checks on you!   Because it comes and goes, you should remember to rise slowly so as not to fall,..same with sitting up from a lying down position..sit still for a few minutes afterward.  Hope it helps!
Hi CP3kids

Thanks so much for your reply. I will take your advice! It hasn't happened today but something just feels slightly off. The funny thing is I can go jogging and walk around and its fine 99.9% of the time. My blood pressure is mostly normal  (Average over the last week is around 128/75) but when I get stressed or i dont sleep well it can spike. As a conncidence I have been monitoring my bp recently because last time i went to the doctor she said it was high.. I dont get dizzy when getting up or lying down. It seems to be when I look upwards quickly or to one side when i am walking or playing xbox.
Being that your symptoms occur with eye movement (possibly some head movement as well) it wouldn't hurt to see about getting an MRI or CT of your neck and head.  There could be some circulatory issue (from neck movement slowing or stopping blood flow in your carotids) or a neurological issue with compression of pathways or nerves.
HI there, thanks again

Are you a Doctor?

No, just an RN, and you're welcome
Although the problem seems to have subsided a bit I can still feel it. It is predominantly when I look up from my keyboard to my computer screen or when I move my head from one side. It lasts less than a second or so but it feels like my eyes are just trailing my head movement and try to catch up leaving a bit of dizziness. Its only for a split second.

I saw a GP the other day. He seems to think that it will go away on its own and could be vestibular in nature and not my heart or circulatory system. Nevertheless I have booked an appointment with a cardiologist next week for a full workup aswell as an appointment with an ENT too later on in that week. Will have to see how things turn out
Just an update. It seems that the dizziness has basically gone away under most circumstances. It's ok when I drive, walk to work, sit at my desk, go jogging on the treadmill etc...

The problem was today though when I went out for a walk in the park. I really struggled to keep my balance. I felt so spaced out and my heart started to really beat fast. I started to panic too. It was like the open space with people walking by just made me feel off balance like i was walking through mud too. I felt like I really had to concentrate on walking. When I slowed down it was alleviated and I don't have any shaking of my limbs or anything like that. I am wondering if it could just be a symptom of anxiety. I got back home and have been fine.

Last night I only had 3 hours sleep though as I was up playing Xbox until 2.30. I sit at my desk all day trying to avoid people too as I can't stand my job. There is a lot of stress associated with my job and have to deal with lots of different situations in one day although I think that I am very sensitive to stress in fact I know I should be able to deal with things a lot better but I don't.

Things just seem to be all out of whack.
Just had cartoid ultrasound turned out to be normal. Also had ECHO and Stress Test. All normal so I guess that's heart  problems ruled out.
Next week I go to the ENT
I am convinced this is anxiety driven though
Just got back from ENT. He looked in my ears nose and throat.He did a balance test too. I also had a CT scan. He said everything is normal. CT scan also came back normal too.

He thought it night be due to some problem with  the nerve in my ear so he prescribed Betaserc and methycobal to take both for 2 weeks. I still feel this is anxiety driven. Lets see how it works out.