Neurology Community
Limbic disorders or seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Limbic disorders or seizures

My daughter began having rage episodes about 7 to 8 months ago.  She is 11 years old. These episodes as we call them would come on over the tiniest triggers.  At first the only thing we noticed was that she was extremely enraged and they would last from one hour upto four hours at a time.  Initially we took her to a local mental health facility for therapy.  They (and we) believed at the time that she was suffering from anxiety and depression which was manifesting into the rage.  We tried a couple of different antidepressants and also two rounds of inpatient treatment.  Although after the inpatient treatment we thought she was making progress, it was only a few weeks until she regressed.  The episodes continued and became more and more enraged and eventually physically violent.  We have had her tested for drugs, alchohol, a CT scan and eventually and EEG.  All tests were either negative or normal.  We have since seen several different doctors and have now come up with the possibility of Limbic seizures, although as I said the EEG was normal. Can you tell me if there is any evidence out there regarding limbic seizures and their treatment?  We only recently began giving her seizure medications and have seen some ease in the rage but she continues to be sad and somewhat aggitated.  We are not seeing any violence or extreme rage like before but I want to be sure I am getting her the right treatment.  I cannot find much information on this subject.  Two newer doctors to our usage have both said that although the EEG is normal, it does appear their is some dysfunction of the limbic system based on symptoms reported and observed.  Can you please advise your opinion and if there are any experts out there for this type of problem?