Neurology Community
Limbs "falling asleep" much more often than usual

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello

I know that if you sleep in certain positions your hands or feet will "fall asleep", and sometimes wake you up. It used to happen to me every once in a while, sometimes to the point where my arm was so numb I had to grab it with my other hand and move it because I was completely unable to move it.

For the past two nights this has been happening so often that I haven't been able to get a decent nights sleep, and I don't understand why. I will wake up in a normal position, most recently I was on my stomach with one hand at my side, an the other on top of my fiance's arm and both legs straight and not in any weird position, and one of my legs was completely numb and both hands were numb. I doesn't make any sense, and it is waking me up multiple times a night.

Can anyone offer any advice or shed any light as to why this has changed so suddenly?

Alex
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

From the symptoms like falling asleep of legs/hands, it sounds that it could be either circulatory disturbance (due to compression of blood vessels) or a nerve pinched.  This may most likely occurs due to any clots in blood vessels, excessive alcohol use or diabetes. I would suggest evaluating all the possibilities with the help of a doctor first. Further referral to a neurologist will surely help you in getting a more precise opinion here. Hope this information proves help you.