Aa
A
A
Close
Lingering Viral Meningitis Symptoms
I was diaganosed with Viral Meningitis on July 15th.  I spent 6 days in the hospital and had a bloodpatch prior to discharge for a CSF leak.  I still have fatigue, back pain, ringing in my ears and terrible headaches daily.  I was on Furicet and Oxycodone but stopped both of these last week.  I take maintanence Topamax for migraines that have been well controlled for the past year.  My primary MD says that I should not still be having headaches from the meningitis.  But the combination of headaches and ringing in my ears is very concerning to me.  I feel like I will never be 100% again.  Between the fatigue, headaches and ringing in my ears, I am still not back to work.  Should I push to be referred to a neurologist and have an MRI or do I need to ba patient and give this some more time?  
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I had viral meningitis a few years ago, and like you was obviously one of the lucky ones because we're still here. I seem to recall that after the indescribable headache stopped, it was a week or two before the residual dull headache settled down. It took me 9 months to recover physically, and it has affected my ability to concentrate like i used to. -That's still the case and I never could work as well as before (electrical design engineer - calculations etc) I lost a lot of weight over the ten days or so that it was at its worst because I couldn't eat anything. You don't say how long ago you had yours, but as I said it took me 9 months. Was as weak as a kitten for weeks (that's not a pun). How bad are the headaches? Time dulls the memory but I never experienced headache like I had during my illness, and i get the occasional migraine. It never stopped and was like the worst imaginable  migraine all over my head and neck. You know what I mean. If they are just 'headaches' that wax and wane, I think be patient. Fatigue is to be expected - this thing kills people. Let's know some more.
best, Kev
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I just re read your post and saw that yours came on 15 July....duh! See what I mean about concentration? Be patient; it's all too soon. Rest, above all don't worry, stress is the worst thing when you're recovering. It won't come back so give it time.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources