Neurology Community
Lingering Viral Meningitis Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lingering Viral Meningitis Symptoms

I was diaganosed with Viral Meningitis on July 15th.  I spent 6 days in the hospital and had a bloodpatch prior to discharge for a CSF leak.  I still have fatigue, back pain, ringing in my ears and terrible headaches daily.  I was on Furicet and Oxycodone but stopped both of these last week.  I take maintanence Topamax for migraines that have been well controlled for the past year.  My primary MD says that I should not still be having headaches from the meningitis.  But the combination of headaches and ringing in my ears is very concerning to me.  I feel like I will never be 100% again.  Between the fatigue, headaches and ringing in my ears, I am still not back to work.  Should I push to be referred to a neurologist and have an MRI or do I need to ba patient and give this some more time?  
I had viral meningitis a few years ago, and like you was obviously one of the lucky ones because we're still here. I seem to recall that after the indescribable headache stopped, it was a week or two before the residual dull headache settled down. It took me 9 months to recover physically, and it has affected my ability to concentrate like i used to. -That's still the case and I never could work as well as before (electrical design engineer - calculations etc) I lost a lot of weight over the ten days or so that it was at its worst because I couldn't eat anything. You don't say how long ago you had yours, but as I said it took me 9 months. Was as weak as a kitten for weeks (that's not a pun). How bad are the headaches? Time dulls the memory but I never experienced headache like I had during my illness, and i get the occasional migraine. It never stopped and was like the worst imaginable  migraine all over my head and neck. You know what I mean. If they are just 'headaches' that wax and wane, I think be patient. Fatigue is to be expected - this thing kills people. Let's know some more.
best, Kev
I just re read your post and saw that yours came on 15 July....duh! See what I mean about concentration? Be patient; it's all too soon. Rest, above all don't worry, stress is the worst thing when you're recovering. It won't come back so give it time.