Neurology Community
Link between anxiety and lack of nerve sensitivity

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Are there any known links between anxiety and lack of feeling/sensitivity. A friend of mine has severe anxiety and panic attacks, and I just recently drew a connection to a "problem" shes never looked into, which is a lack of sensitivity. Without getting too graphic, she feels nothing or very little when it comes to "foreplay" and oral sex. I contributed most of this to breast reduction surgery she had a few years ago, but recently her anxiety has gotten so bad, that I want to investigate this potential connection. She recently described her anxiety as "I feel like I'm being stalked by a tiger" Yes she sees a shrink, and they are working on the medicating the anxiety.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your friend’s medical problems. A feeling of being stalked is not just anxiety, but could be a part of several types of psychological disorders, which need to be thoroughly investigated before a treatment could be started.

An individual suffering from high level of anxiety, stress or from any psychological disorder may find it difficult o enjoy sex in any form. An anxious or disturbed mind is unlikely to process sensory sensations related to any kind of pleasure. Also, some medications used to treat these disorders can reduce the sex drive.

Other than that conditions like vaginal dryness, hormonal imbalance etc can also reduce the inability to enjoy sex.

Please ask your friend to consult her doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

She is currently seeing someone about what may be the cause of her anxiety and how to manage it.

She does seem to enjoy sex, just not with the same methods as others.

Mostly I was just seeing if there were any known connections between anxiety and what I would call nerve damage or weakening.

I cannot attest to the potential hormone imbalance, but I can say that dryness isn't a problem.