Aa
A
A
Close
Lip Numbness/Tingling with twitch/slackness
I have a friend who just now had her lip on the left side of her face go numb. Just a few moments before she commented on how it was twitching. She is only 22, and this has never happened before. Soon after she said that the area on her upper lip went numb, I noticed the slackness in it. It began to droop and it looked not unlike someone who had just had a stroke. The area swelled, and she says it feels "Tingly", like novicain. She last went to the dentist a few years ago, but she cannot remember which side they worked on last. She is lactose intollerant and so she does not get much calcium into her diet, if that means anything. Should I get her to a doctor immediately or can it wait for a few days?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
it may be bell palsy..it might not be,I think only a doctor seeing her would know...if it where me and I had this happen I would see a doctor...does her head hurt or is she having any trouble seeing?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
147426 tn?1317269232
It does indeed, sound like "Bell's Palsy"  (good call rainsummer) which can have many causes.  It's a problem with the main nerve that innervates the feeling and the muscles of the face.  Sometimes, when it is caught early it is treated by a short course of steroids.  Yes, she should see her doctor urgently.  I am not indicating that the condition itself is serious, it USUALLY is not.  But it should be seen promptly.  

Good luck, Quix

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank