Neurology Community
Lip tremor in elderly

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lip tremor in elderly

I have recently noticed that my father, who is 79 years old, a master swimmer in very good health, taking no medication, has suddenly started to make a very odd motion with his mouth.  The motion is a pulsing in and out of the middle of his lips, particularly the lower one.  The movement seems to be involuntary and I'm not sure my father is even aware of it.  There also seems to be a trembling motion around his lips which is separate from the pulsing motion.

I am wondering if this is a symptom of something serious or a symptom of a nutritional deficiency.  He doesn't complain of any health problems other than a weakness in his knees while walking up stairs and getting up from sitting on the floor.

I haven't told him about the strange motion as of yet.  My father doesn't like to see the doctor.  How potentially serious is this symptom?

Thank you for this forum