Neurology Community
Losing Conciousness and control of bowel and bladder

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My sister in law has been having a few "episodes" in the last few months.  Night before last was the worst in that she had been driving at the time.  Thankfully she had a warning that allowed her to pull into a parking lot and put the car in park prior to passing out.
She did have some warning signs prior to losing consciousness:
Sweating
Flushed
Nauseated
Apparently she was unconcious for about 5 minutes but at one point had her eyes open which caused her son to think she had perished.  The ambulance attendants arrived and they packed her off to the hospital.  She is now waiting to have an MRI, Echocardiogram and possibly a stress test.  She did lose control of both her bladder and bowel when she became unconcious and was mortified to say the least.  
We have noticed in the last year or so how easy it is for her to fly off the handle at the kids.  Her memory has become dicey at best...her short term memory is almost non existent.  She just doesn't seem too stable at all and we are all very worried.
I have MS myself so I can relate to some of her symptoms but I can't help but think that she may be have some sort of seizure.  My question is, can people lose conciousness in a regular fainting spell and lose control of her bladder and bower without it be a seizure?
I appreciate any help you can offer.

Sincerely,
Rena705
bump
Sweating and nausea, followed by unconsciousness are hallmarks of cardiac ischemia. The heart isn't pumping well and is in need of oxygen. Although a siezure may develop this is not a "siezure" problem treated by seizure meds.

Losing control of bowel and bladder under such circumstances is common.

A stress test is mandatory. An EKG may or may not show abnormalities.

There is an extreme liklihood this was a cardiac event. It is consisting with angina despite absencfe of pain.

It is now up to the hospital to determine the reasons for this event. Could be a clot. Could be narrowing of the blood vessels. Could be due to damage to the pacemaker.

I'm sure they will figure it out.

Inappropriate anger is common when there is insufficient oxygen to the brain. A person in a car accident who has lost blood will punch your headlights out and curse the ER nurse, and when he is on oxygen and a blood transfusion brings his hematocrit back up he becomes "Saint Terresa". Sweet as iced-tea with maple syrup.
Thank you so much for this information!  We were out for Mother's Day yesterday and at first she was in incredibly pale but regained her color after about 15 minutes.  However, she did have an inappropriate outburst when my brother offered her his teaspoon to eat dessert rather than having her wait for someone to bring her a fork and she yelled "I am NOT going to eat my cake with a spoon!  What are you thinking?" and we were all sitting in stunned silence afterward.

I am worried about her driving however.  It seems strange to me that her doctors in ER didn't tell her to not drive until this is diagnosed and under control!  I have seizures and was told to not drive AT ALL until my problem was under control for a whole year!  My sis in law seems to be in denial and doesn't think this is anything serious, she thinks it's hormonal!   Do you not think that her driving is not appropriate until such time as they figure out what is going on?

Rena705
The relationship between low oxygen levels and anger is not recognized by ninety-nine percent of physicians, but it noted by ER nurses and EMT's.

I have a theory.

When the body enters a life-threatening situation, there is survival value in verbal aggression. What I found amazing was how quickly a person's temperment could improve with oxygenation or a blood transfusion.

It is likely if she is given a "chemical stress test" where a substance is injected to stimulate the heart, the problem will be identified.

Please post back with the results.