Neurology Community
Loss of Consciousness Triggered by Bi-Temporal Head Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi. I am a 27 year old relatively healthy and active female. About two weeks ago I was playing a board game and watching TV with my husband when I developed sudden-onset, very painful bi-temporal head pain. I was sitting down. I became very dizzy and nauseous and began to feel an overwhelming sense of panic and dread. It kept increasing in pain and pressure until I eventually passed out. Of course I don't remember that part. My husband said I rolled back in my chair, rolled to the right, then when I rolled to the left, I fell to the floor. I didn't understand how I got on the floor and I was very confused, so I am certain I actually lost consciousness. I felt as if I was shaking or reeling inside my head before I fainted. I also experienced the tingling in my hands, and my husband said my lips were blue. My head didn't hurt when I woke up.  

I went to the doctor the next day and they did an EKG and said my heart was fine. They ruled out dehydration and all the other normal stuff. I had a normal CT scan. I saw a neurologist who thought it could be seizures or migraines but that seizures were unlikely because she said you don't normally lose consciousness with seizures. But she also mentioned that you don't normally lose consciousness with migraines either. She ordered an MRI. I had the MRI 2 days ago and haven't heard back, so I'm assuming it isn't anything too serious or I would have heard by now.

Since then, I've had pretty regular pressure, sensitivity and pain in my left ear and cloudy/blurred vision.
And, the thing that I find most strange: during the MRI, I experienced excruciating head and ear pain and severe dizziness. I alerted the technician that I might feel faint because of the noise of the machine (since the faint I have been triggered by noise and have almost fainted a half dozen times due to sudden noise). He provided me with ear plugs and head phones and did not play music at my request. However, the noise of the machine was unbearable. It was so excruciating that I literally cried during the loudest part (complete with tears running down my face). On a pain scale (1 being no pain and 10 being unbearable) it was a 9. Since then I have sometimes had to put an earplug in my left ear when speaking on the phone to a client at work (if they are loud talkers) and I have had to shield my ear whenever I hear a loud noise. I also felt a lot of bi-temporal head pressure and nausea and felt like I was swimming in my own head. I remember having an MRI ten years ago and it being an annoying clicking sound and a noise like gears shifting. Nothing like what I experienced this time.

The neurologist mentioned the diagnosis Pseudotumor Cerebri because of my complaints of cloudy vision. She also mentioned Basilar Type Migraines. She mentioned that I didn't have the stimulation of the Venous Nerve in the back of my eye like I'm supposed to have and so this might lead her to conclude I have an excess of CSF in my brain--which could be causing the pressure. She has prescribed me Topamax which is supposed to control the headaches but it hasn't relieved the pressure/pain in my head or ear (though, to be fair, I have only been taking it for a week).

All of the doctors have mentioned that a person shouldn't lose consciousness as a result of any disorder and they seem to be taking my case very seriously. Their next step after I get the MRI results is for me to have an EEG to look at my brain's electrical activity. Then, I have a follow-up with my neurologist.

Sorry that this is such a saga of a post. I guess my question to you is: do you think my problem lies with my ear, an excess of CSF/pressure on my brain, or a seizure or migraine type of disorder? If there was an excess of CSF in my brain, could they see that through CT or MRI testing?
Thanks in advance.