Neurology Community
Loss of Hand Control...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Loss of Hand Control...

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.  Last week, while in the shower, I lost control of my right hand.  Meaning I attempted to wipe the water from eyes and my right hand only made it to my chin.  I tried over and over again over the following minutes and once I got my hand up to my eyes the fingers curled in and I kind of hit my face rather than touched it.   At that time there was no spasm, tingling or unusual sensation occurring in that hand.  Afterwards, there was some tingling and almost a rushing of fluid feeling in my forearm. No pain ever.  The remainder of the day, I felt an ache and heaviness in the arm.

Last year I was succussfully treated for Lyme but did experience a number of neurologic symptoms with only the occasional tingling and numbness in my hands remaining to date.  Through all the testing a year ago, I was found to have Chiari 1 but without symptoms.

The doctor order both a MRA and MRI and repeat Lyme test as well as other blood work.  She mentioned so many disorders upon examination that I don't know what to investigate.

There has been no repeat of symptoms since.  Could this just be a freak thing that means nothing?
Try not to freak out.  Your doc is doing the right thing by ordering tests.  There are many disorders that mimic Lyme's, so do yourself a favor, and DON"T GO THERE.  Just be happy that there is no further symptom, and live in the moment.  It's hard not to be scared, but reming yourself that the hand is fine now.  That's a positive.